Is Autopilot really safer than a human driver?

NHTSA has stated that Tesla Autopilot is 40% safer than a human driver based on the number of incidents which resulted in air-bag deployment according to data supplied by Tesla.
The publication of this finding has caused owners to have high confidence in the autopilot.
Might I politely ask - what is the sample size?
If the sample size was for example 100 air-bag deployments then that is a rather large number of crashes in proportion to the number of cars on the road.
It is also far too low a sample to provide statistically reliable results.
So, once again(pretty please) What is the sample size?

I agree NHTSA is wrong.

Why don’t you report them to NHTSA.

Good idea…watch this space.

Done.

Complaint Number: 11000132
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Brakes, Steering, Unknown or Other
What happened?
This is another complaint about the Tesla Autopilot. Here is a video of an owner using Autopilot hands free at high speed on a freeway and inches away from many oncoming cars on an undivided road. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiqyoOp5pyc Rather than keeping her hands on the wheel she instead gives the wheel a regular tweak every about once a minute but the remainder of the time her hands are nowhere near the wheel. This is just one of many videos showing owners driving in dangerous ways. I believe that these owners have been duped into having misplaced confidence in the autopilot and that the situation has been made worse by Tesla using NHTSA apparent endorsement of the Autopilot. NHTSA has stated that Tesla Autopilot is 40% safer than a human driver based on the number of incidents which resulted in air-bag deployment according to data supplied by Tesla. The publication of this finding has caused owners to have high confidence in the autopilot. Might I politely ask - what is the sample size? If the sample size was for example 100 air-bag deployments then that is a rather large number of crashes in proportion to the number of cars on the road. It is also far too low a sample to provide statistically reliable results. Whenever a crash occurs Tesla claims that the Autopilot was not engaged at the time. This is probably true because the Autopilot will disengage if the owner touches the wheel or the brake in the instant before impact. At 3:20 in the video you can see the owner grab the wheel after the autopilot crosses double lines. Please take action to prevent further loss of life.
Files you uploaded.
saves.JPG
When did this happen? 06/15/2017
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 60

Looks like we might learn the truth quite soon.
http://www.quality-control.us/nhtsa_autopilot_safety_claims.html

http://www.quality-control.us/Quality_Control_Systems_Corp_v_USDOT.pdf

LAWSUIT: NHTSA IGNORED FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUEST
Government sued for allegedly not providing data about Tesla’s Autopilot and Autosteer systems.
By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com Posted in News
Lawsuit: NHTSA Ignored Freedom of Information Act Request
June 29, 2017 — The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has been sued for allegedly ignoring a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request filed by a research company that wants to know details about Tesla’s Autopilot system.

Plaintiff Quality Control Systems Corp. (QCS), based in Maryland, says it concentrates in “computer-intensive, statistical research with large databases,” and wants to know more about the data used to investigate the Tesla Model S and Model X.

Safety regulators took a look at Tesla’s Autopilot system in 2016 after a crash that killed former Navy SEAL Joshua Brown. Mr. Brown was driving his Model S with Autopilot engaged when the car slammed into a tractor-trailer, killing Brown on a Florida highway.

NHTSA eventually closed its investigation and claimed the data showed Autosteer, a function of the Autopilot system, reduced airbag deployments and crash rates.

QCS says it sent a FOIA request to NHTSA in February 2017 to obtain crash data allegedly withheld from the public by the government. According to the lawsuit, scientific researchers need the data to “assess the validity of the remarkable claim made by NHTSA that airbag deployments in Tesla vehicles dropped by almost 40 percent after the installation of a component of the Tesla’s Autopilot system, Autosteer.”

QCS says the documents specifically say that NHTSA calculated airbag deployment crashes in the Tesla vehicles before and after Autosteer was installed and found the reduction in crash rates. However, QCS says it is concerned the alleged reduction in crash rates is associated with the “installation” of Autosteer, rather than the actual use of Autosteer.

QCS wants to know if NHTSA used scientific methods to validate the tests and if the results can be replicated. In addition, the company wants to know if the alleged reduction in crash rates is due to Autosteer itself and if the decreased crash rates are expected to continue.

“The surprising claim by NHTSA of an extraordinary reduction in crash rates associated with the installation of Autosteer must be carefully considered in the context of the Agency’s failure to allow public access to the underlying data. Such an important conclusion by the Agency should not be based on data that the government is withholding from researchers who want to examine NHTSA’s results.” - Quality Control Systems

In March 2017, NHTSA responded to QCS by saying the agency was issuing “an interim response to your FOIA request dated February 24, 2017," and was “extending by ten working days the time period by which the agency must provide a response.”

Further, NHTSA said it needed additional time "to search for and collect the requested records from field facilities or other establishments that are separate from the office processing the request.” Finally, the letter stated that NHTSA expected to provide a response by April 14, 2017.

However, QCS says that communication was the last it heard from NHTSA.

The Quality Control Systems Freedom of Information Act request lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia - Quality Control Systems Corp. v. U.S. Department of Transportation.

Autopilot is not safer than a human driver. Autopilot is a driver aid; as autopilot on an aeroplane is a pilot aid…

Just go to Youtube and search Tesla Autopilot.
Many owners are placing their trust in Autopilot and placing innocent lives at risk.
They feel even more confident due to the bullshit claim that Autopilot is 40% safer.
Sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCLYp__mHgM

Elon Musk: Tesla’s Autopilot is twice as safe as humans

twice as safe when being used as intended. Same as a seatbelt. Or meds (you have to take them)

Tesla users read the headlines and truly believe the Autopilot is safe.
It is not.

Last night on a return trip home with my family, my X 17.17.4 decided to try to ruin my driving record. I had AP2 engaged, hand lightly on wheel as always. The CA-99 freeway was very straight at that point, so I was in relax mode even with cars everywhere being a holiday weekend. Lane markers were clearly marked. Autosteer suddenly veered to the right lane as if it was doing a lane change right into a car next to mine. Reflex kicked in and I was able to jerk it back, but not without a violent swerve back and forth at 80mph. I’d understand if it was curvy, but this section was so straight!

Even on a divided highway it can cause a major crash.
On a 2 lane road it is lethal.

You are typical of the Teslamaniacs… even when the Autopilot swerves towards a oncoming truck you will still claim it is perfectly safe.
Take your stupid toy cars to a racetrack and enjoy yourselves.
Do not place innocent lives at risk.

Most owners will regard that as nothing more than “boilerplate” click the box and drive hands free.
Just read the forums or the youtube videos to see dozens of examples.
Elon Musk has blood on his hands.
Tesraelites like you are accessories to murder.

Like all lane assist systems?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lane+keep+assist

People can be idiots. Others just have nothing better to do.

Which one are you?

How many idiots in Teslas would be acceptable to you?

Another victim of Autocrash?