New thread, Keef's complaints WITH photographs

Complaint Number: 11041439
PRINT ►
Vehicle Identification Number: UNKNOWN Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2014 Note: Your VIN. make. model and year are all protected under the Privacy Act. What part of your car was affected? Steering
What happened? Here is a Tesla discussion thread in which a Tesla owner reports that his power steering has fallen apart: httpsfiteslamotorsclub.comitmcithreads/power-steering-falling-apart.100951/ “SNIP - Yesterday, all of a sudden, my steering started making some bad noises - clunks and screeches. Today I removed the tub and found 2 of the 3 bolts that mount the electric steering assist to the rack had sheared off. Another 2 bolts, along with those 3, hold two parts of the rack together. One of those is also broken. It can’t escape because its too long to come out all the way where its situated. Oddly enough. there are 3 more threaded holes (exactly adjacent to the 3 used in assembly) in the electric assist: so I didn’t have to drill the broken ones out. I filed them down to flush and put 3 new bolts in. (The last one was bent.) I’m pretty sure the originals are aluminum. but being Sunday I just went to the local hardware store and bought what they had. BTW they are 8mm x 1.25, 65mm long.” I am certain that Bosch the maker of the steering rack would have had those bolts securely locked to prevent them from falling out Tesla Motors have an unusual habit of using felt tip “witness marks” to monitor movement of many bolts on the cars. Green marks on some bolts can be seen on the photograph of the steering box. This suggests that they are not confident the bolts are securely fastened. Other car manufacturers ensure that all of their technicians are properly trained in the importance of securing fasteners correctly so that they will not loosen under vibration. This loose steering assembly could easily have caused a fatal crash. It is even more dangerous in the case of cars fitted with so called Autopilot. Please investigate. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded. powersteering.jpg steeringfailure.JPG
When did this happen? 10/27/2017 Was there a Crash? No Was there a Fire? No Was there an injury or fatality? No How fast were you going? (in mph) 40 About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 50000

Complaint Number: 11041471
Vehicle Identification Number: UNKNOWN
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Suspension
What happened?
URGENT. Here is a Tesla owner that has just posted a complaint about a snapped ball-joint on his near new Model X: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/ball-joint-separation.101036/ SNIPTexlaSX, 6 minutes ago New My wife was driving our 2016 Model X today when she heard a snap. Her steering wheel pulled and she struggled to control the car at about 40MPH. She was able to stop in three lanes of traffic but was pretty shook up. She contacted Tesla and they towed the car to a service center. They informed her that one of the links fractured causing the ball joint to separate. We have the fractured link (police found it in the street). The car only has about 10,000 miles on it, so seems unlikely to be a wear-and-tear issue. Has anyone experienced this failure on their car? The photograph is attached. These failures are occurring over and over. The alloy parts are too weak for the purpose. Cast alloy is not a good material to use. The eye-hole walls are too thin and the cast alloy is too brittle. I cannot understand why NHTSA has not taken action over these lethal defects. Please do not delay any longer. These cars should be recalled for inspection and remedy of these defects. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
fracturecloseup.JPG
When did this happen? 10/28/2017
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 40
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 10000

Complaint Number: 11042730
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1S17FF080117
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2015
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the junkyard. https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26516457&RowNumber=54&loadRecent=True Wheel fallen off AGAIN. Photo attached. This is becoming rather boring for me and for you. The solution is to have these dangerous cars recalled immediately. Please do so. Concerned citizen etc.
Files you uploaded.
off3.jpg
When did this happen? 10/01/2017
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? No
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 56000

Complaint Number: 11042736
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCBE25HF038218
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2017
What happened?
Here is a Model X in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26452947&RowNumber=50&loadRecent=True The front suspension has broken and the wheel has been sliced in half while it was still rotating. The back wheel has gone decidedly whompy which would have made the car difficult to steer. No air-bags have deployed. This was not a crash. It was a case of suspension collapse caused by a simple air leak or even a faulty software over the air upgrade. It is simply mind boggling that this contraption has not been recalled. Please take action. Thank you. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
xsliced.jpg
xwhomp5.jpg
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 30
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 4000

Complaint Number: 11043131
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2017
What happened?
Here is a new video that has just been uploaded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M64kSYWtfU It shows a Tesla Model S with a completely broken suspension. It has not been in a crash. Both lower ball joints have snapped. Wheel has gone amazingly whompy. The location is a city street. There is no possibility that this was caused by a crash or any form of abuse. The wheel and tire are completely undamaged and there is no damage to the bodywork. How much more evidence do you need to show that these cars are “unsafe at any speed”? Please investigate. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
snappedvideo.JPG
When did this happen? 11/01/2017
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 5
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 1000

Very interesting. A couple of questions:

I saw your photos on a dutch accident that killed the driver. In the dutch press it was reported that it looked like a suicide. You have a very different reading. I would like to write a separate article on this. Maybe you can help me on this. In the meantime I will check what documents I can obtain from the authorities.

On suspension and other failures do you have a guesstimate on how many cases there are in total. What is the minimum? Since there are not that many Teslas in percentage points it’s pretty high. Has the quality improved with recent vintages?

Recently I wrote an article called the Tesla Time Bomb in which I made the case Tesla is a media set up with Musk as the hero. SpaceX is there to claim the hero status although there is no evidence the rockets are real. Do know of any articles that explain the fakery around FakeX?

Hi Nils
I believe that there have been at the very least 100 - 200 suspension failures.
I only report the ones where there is good evidence to show that suspension failures played a part in the crash.
In many cases the car is too badly damaged to be sure.
Several deaths in America have been blamed on suicide.
In particular this one. http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/12/31/tesla-driver-found-dead-after-crash-off-highway-1-in-sonoma-county/

But he did NOT go over a cliff. He went down a steep slope. If He had wanted to go over a proper ccliff there is one about a mile further down the road.
Brand new Teslas are still falling to bits.

I’ll give you one of my throwaway email addresses frankfarter9999@gmail.com drop me a line there and then i’ll give you another email address.

I am dutch and I would like to investigate this incident. I just sent a request for information to the dutch police.

Please help me on how you concluded what was the cause. I saw a picture of the suspension completely seperate from the car. But note that I also saw a picture of some officers carry a wheel to the middle of the road.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=wielophanging+tesla+ongeluk&client=safari&hl=nl-nl&prmd=inv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwin4siMuqfXAhUJ1hoKHZYrA9AQ_AUIEigB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=pwkSVpjnxXbpzM:

Complaint Number: 11043617
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCDE29HF0D3515
What happened?
Here is a recently uploaded video in which a Tesla owner complains of excessive vibration from the front wheels of his Model X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKCql5l-NJ4 He is on the phone to Tesla who advise that engineering is working on the problem but there is not yet a fix available. He is assured that the car is perfectly safe to drive (yeah…right!). Given the large number of cars that have experience sudden breakage of suspension components I believe that at the very minimum the car should be taken in for a safety inspection. If an owner reports abnormal vibration it is utterly reckless to tell that customer it is nothing to worry about. There is no guarantee that the car will not soon experience a catastrophic failure. No other car-maker would be foolish enough to place lives at risk in such a fashion. Comments on that video prove that other owners are also experiencing the same problem. Please take action immediately. Thank you. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
vin.JPG
When did this happen? 11/01/2017
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 60
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 31000

Complaint Number: 11044405
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E42GF171304
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
What happened?
Here is a Model S in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26536335&RowNumber=1&loadRecent=True It has been in a major crash, it has bio-hazard stickers and judging by the damage it is almost certain that someone has been killed in the crash. A blown up photograph is attached of the tire stowed in the rear of the car attached to the broken suspension parts. The tread on this tire is completely worn away. This car is less than a year old so that can not possibly be normal wear on the tire. Teslas are very prone to collapse of the suspension systems. If the car is on cruise control or Autopilot then even if the tire is rubbing hard against the wheel well due to a problem with the suspension the car will apply more power to compensate and the driver may be unaware that there is a problem until there is a catastrophic failure. To make this absolutely clear - I believe that the suspension system in the Teslas is defective and that the company is covering up these defects. Please launch a full investigation into this matter. Thank you. Concerned citizen. Date of crash is an approximation. Number of fatalities is a guess based on the damage to the car.
Files you uploaded.
worntirewreck.JPG
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? Yes
Number of fatalities: 1
Number of injuries
Medical Attention Required? Yes
How fast were you going? (in mph) 70
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 5000

Complaint Number: 11045400
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCBE20HF051328
What happened?
Here is another Model X in the junkyard. https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26559880&RowNumber=51&loadRecent=True It has been in a front end collision and has bio-hazard stickers indicating that occupants have been injured. The front end is badly damaged but the back end of the car is untouched except that the back left wheel is canted over at an angle meaning that the suspension is broken. The wheel and tire are undamaged so it is highly unlikely that the suspension was broken by impact damage. As can be seen from the photographs of the front end the Tesla wheels are relatively fragile and would be expected to fail before the suspension did. Broken Tesla suspensions have sometimes caused ruptured brake hoses. It is possible that may have been a factor in this crash. These same suspension failures are happening repeatedly. Please investigate Concerned Citizen. Name and address supplied.
Files you uploaded.
FrontendX.jpg
backwheelX.jpg
Was there a Crash? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? Yes
Number of fatalities:
Number of injuries 1
Medical Attention Required? Yes
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 2000

Complaint Number: 11045744
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCDE2XHF068651
What happened?
Here is a Model X in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26530615&RowNumber=47&loadRecent=True It is listed as having suspension damage. The only part of the car that is damaged is the RH wheel area. The photographs are not very clear but it does look as though the lower suspension arms have snapped apart. There is almost no damage forward of the front wheel that would account for the damage. The digital display has an alert that says “suspension needs service” You can say that again Mister Garrison! Please take action to prevent further unnecessary deaths and injuries. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
whitex.jpg
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 2000

Complaint Number: 11046094
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E15GF161615
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26343606&RowNumber=34&loadRecent=true&isNext=true The front RH wheel and suspension has completely snapped off. The suspension arm ball-joint and steering rod have been snapped. Even if (as been claimed by some Tesla enthusiasts) the suspension is intended to snap off to protect the occupants in the event of an accident - there is no certainty that the components did not snap off and CAUSE the accident. All the damage on that car looks as though it might be self-inflicted injury caused by snapped suspension. There is no other car on the roads which suffers from suspension failures at such a high proportion in relation to the number of cars produced. These are all late model and low mileage vehicles so the failures can not be blamed on poor maintenance… Please investigate the reason for all these failures. Thank you. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
redsnap.jpg
redsnap2.jpg
redwheel.jpg
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 9000

Complaint Number: 11046106
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E26HF204689
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26400583&RowNumber=38&loadRecent=true&isNext=true This is a virtually brand new car having only driven 3000 Miles. The entire front suspension and drive shaft has snapped off. There is no collision damage that might have caused the suspension to be torn off. There have been hundreds of similar failures. It is perfectly obvious that the Tesla suspension parts are too weak for the job and do not have sufficient margin of safety. Please take action before more people get killed. Thank you. Concerned citizen. Date of crash is an approximation.
Files you uploaded.
bluesnap.jpg
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? No
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 3000

Complaint Number: 11046111
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCBE41HF067474
What happened?
Here is a brand new Model X in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26401554&RowNumber=39&loadRecent=true&isNext=true It appears to have been hit from behind. The suspension has collapsed on all wheels. Owners have been reporting problems with the air suspension since the latest software update and posting complaints about that on the forums. They claim that Tesla has just advised them to reboot the car and hope for the best. It looks highly likely that this car’s suspension collapsed causing it to slow down unexpectedly and get rammed up the clacker by another car. Please investigate. Concerned citizen etc.
Files you uploaded.
bluexsnap.jpg
Was there a Crash? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 230
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 500

Complaint Number: 11046175
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E24GF171349
What happened?
Here is a Tesla Model S in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=25533994&RowNumber=11&loadRecent=True The drivers air-bag has deployed. There is no sign of any collision damage. The suspension appears to have collapsed. All 4 wheels are jammed up in the wheel wells. There is some slight damage to the area around each wheel that has been chalk-marked by the auction house. This problem is happening over and over with the Teslas. The air suspension does not have limit stops to prevent the suspension falling too low. Collapses have been reported as being caused by air leaks or even by a new and glitchy software update. This is ridiculously dangerous. Please take action. Thank you. Concerned citizen. Date of incident is an approximation.
Files you uploaded.
wheelsjammed.jpg
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 86000

Complaint Number: 11046177
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1S20FF096880
What part of your car was affected? Fuel/Propulsion System
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the junkyard: https://www.copart.com/lot/46203307/Photos It has been involved in a fire. The aluminium bodywork has been melted and burned away. The battery pack appears to have been the source of the fire. The air-bags have not been deployed and there is no sign of collision damage. The investigation into Tesla fires was cancelled after Tesla fitted a lightweight Titanium battery shield and released some very poor quality videos demonstrating the invincibility of the battery shield. The ride height was also raised (for a few weeks) but soon went back to ultra-low. A Google image search for “Tesla fire” shows that many of these cars are still bursting into flames. Please investigate this problem before more Tesla occupants are incinerated. Thank you. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
crispy1.JPG
crispy2.JPG
When did this happen? 10/09/2017
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? Yes
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 23000

Complaint Number: 11047318
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCAE43GF006197
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2016
What happened?
Here is a Model X in the junkyard: https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?itemID=26579014&RowNumber=61&loadRecent=true&isNext=true No air-bags have been deployed and there is no sign of any collision damage. The back LH suspension has completely snapped off. If this had been caused by a violent sideways collision with another vehicle or with a curb then the side curtrain air-bag would have been deployed. This looks like another case of spontaneous snap-off suspension. The motor of this car produces so much torque that if a brake caliper on that wheel malfunctioned the torque could easily rip off those fragile alloy components. This is not a one off occurrence. There have been dozens of similar cases. Please investigate. Thank you. Concerned citizen acting in the public interest. Date of incident is an approximation based on date of vehicle arriving in the junkyard.
Files you uploaded.
whitexwheel.png
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 15000

Complaint Number: 11047680
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1H16FF085798
What part of your car was affected? Fuel/Propulsion System
What happened?
Here is a Tesla Model S in the junkyard: https://www.copart.com/lot/43880137/Photos It has been totally destroyed by fire. Elon Musk has claimed that Teslas are much less likely to catch fire than a gasoline powered car and that they are now even safer than before due to the Titanium battery shields and the (temporarily) raised suspension height. A Google image search for burned Tesla or Tesla fire reveals that there have now been at least 20 Teslas destroyed by fire which is a very large number in proportion to the number of cars on the roads. I believe that the 7 Gallons of hot Ethylene Glycol in every Tesla is a high risk factor. If the Lithium battery also becomes involved in a fire it burns intensely and is extremely hard to extinguish. No other electric car has such a high risk factor of having Ethylene Glycol carried in radiators at the very front of the car plus such a large volume of flammable liquid coolant. Please investigate. Thank you Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
burnt1.JPG
burnt2.JPG
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? Yes
How fast were you going? (in mph) 20
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 10000

Complaint Number: 11047950
What part of your car was affected? Steering, Unknown or Other
What happened?
This is a complaint about the absolute madness of Tesla Autopilot. Here is just one more example of how dangerous this so called Autopilot really is. From today’s forum posts. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/nag-reduced-with-2017-46.102558/ d21mike, Today at 6:01 PM BerTX said: ↑ Hold the wheel lightly with ONE hand just above the flat portion at the bottom, along the side, just letting the weight of your hand bear down. Don’t steer, but don’t keep the AP from steering. You will never, ever get a nag. If you need to do something with your hands, then do it and put one back when you can. Switch hands if you need to. Prop your elbow on the console. This is what I do as well. Works really well. *** This is contrary to the advice given by every driving school and every regulatory authority in the world. Having one hand loosely resting at the bottom of the wheel will not allow the driver to keep control of the vehicle . The marketing of this Autopilot feature has been grossly irresponsible and the claim that it is 40% safer than a human driver is simply ludicrous. Internet forums and Youtube videos show that owners are putting lives in danger by using this feature on narrow winding roads and in inappropriate situations. Tesla will always claim that Autopilot was not engaged at the time of the crash because it disengages the moment before impact. This is not a laughing matter. Please stop this madness before more lives are lost.
When did this happen? 11/21/2017
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 70