Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1S19EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES2

DEATHS1

HERE IS A TESLA IN THE JUNKYARD:

HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLE?ITEMID=27142707&ROWNUMBER=46&LOADRECENT=TRUE

IT HAS BEEN IN A MASSIVE COLLISION. IT HAS BIO-HAZARD STICKERS AND JUDGING BY THE CONDITION OF THE WRECK IT IS ALMOST CERTAIN THAT PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KILLED.

THE FRONT END IS COMPLETELY SMASHED UP BUT THE BACK RH WHEEL AND SUSPENSION HAS COMPLETELY FALLEN OFF EVEN THOUGH THERE IS ZERO IMPACT DAMAGE TO THAT PART OF THE CAR.

GIVEN THE LARGE NUMBER OF REPORTS THAT HAVE BEEN SUBMITTED TO NHTSA SHOWING STRONG EVIDENCE THAT TESLAS HAVE FREQUENT SUSPENSION FAILURES IT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED THAT THIS CRASH MAY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN CAUSED BY THE FAILURE OF THE REAR SUSPENSION.

I UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS THE ROLE OF NHTSA TO LOOK FOR SUCH PATTERNS OF FAILURE AND TO INVESTIGATE THE REASONS.

PLEASE DO JUST THAT.

THANK YOU.

VERY CONCERNED CITIZEN.

(DATE OF CRASH IS AN APPROXIMATION. DETAILS OF INJURIES/DEATHS ALSO AN ESTIMATION BASED ON SEVERITY OF WRECK)

November 29, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11051130
Components: STEERING
NHTSA ID Number: 11051130

Incident Date November 28, 2017

Consumer Location FREDERICK, MD

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H20EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

POWER STEERING ELECTRICAL DRIVE MOTOR SEPARATED FROM STEERING RACK. LUCKILY THIS HAPPENED WHILE IN DRIVE WAY.

1 Affected Product

October 30, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11041439
Components: STEERING
NHTSA ID Number: 11041439

Incident Date October 27, 2017

Consumer Location BEVERLY HILLS, CA

Vehicle Identification Number UNKNOWN****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HERE IS A TESLA DISCUSSION THREAD IN WHICH A TESLA OWNER REPORTS THAT HIS POWER STEERING HAS FALLEN APART:

**SNIP - YESTERDAY, ALL OF A SUDDEN, MY STEERING STARTED MAKING SOME BAD NOISES - CLUNKS AND SCREECHES. TODAY I REMOVED THE TUB AND FOUND 2 OF THE 3 BOLTS THAT MOUNT THE ELECTRIC STEERING ASSIST TO THE RACK HAD SHEARED OFF.

ANOTHER 2 BOLTS, ALONG WITH THOSE 3, HOLD TWO PARTS OF THE RACK TOGETHER. ONE OF THOSE IS ALSO BROKEN. IT CAN’T ESCAPE BECAUSE IT’S TOO LONG TO COME OUT ALL THE WAY WHERE IT’S SITUATED.

ODDLY ENOUGH, THERE ARE 3 MORE THREADED HOLES (EXACTLY ADJACENT TO THE 3 USED IN ASSEMBLY) IN THE ELECTRIC ASSIST; SO I DIDN’T HAVE TO DRILL THE BROKEN ONES OUT. I FILED THEM DOWN TO FLUSH AND PUT 3 NEW BOLTS IN. (THE LAST ONE WAS BENT.)

I’M PRETTY SURE THE ORIGINALS ARE ALUMINUM, BUT BEING SUNDAY I JUST WENT TO THE LOCAL HARDWARE STORE AND BOUGHT WHAT THEY HAD. BTW THEY ARE 8MM X 1.25, 65MM LONG.**

I AM CERTAIN THAT BOSCH THE MAKER OF THE STEERING RACK WOULD HAVE HAD THOSE BOLTS SECURELY LOCKED TO PREVENT THEM FROM FALLING OUT.

TESLA MOTORS HAVE AN UNUSUAL HABIT OF USING FELT TIP “WITNESS MARKS” TO MONITOR MOVEMENT OF MANY BOLTS ON THE CARS. GREEN MARKS ON SOME BOLTS CAN BE SEEN ON THE PHOTOGRAPH OF THE STEERING BOX.

THIS SUGGESTS THAT THEY ARE NOT CONFIDENT THE BOLTS ARE SECURELY FASTENED.

OTHER CAR MANUFACTURERS ENSURE THAT ALL OF THEIR TECHNICIANS ARE PROPERLY TRAINED IN THE IMPORTANCE OF SECURING FASTENERS CORRECTLY SO THAT THEY WILL NOT LOOSEN UNDER VIBRATION.

THIS LOOSE STEERING ASSEMBLY COULD EASILY HAVE CAUSED A FATAL CRASH.

IT IS EVEN MORE DANGEROUS IN THE CASE OF CARS FITTED WITH SO CALLED AUTOPILOT.

PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

CONCERNED CITIZEN.

October 30, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11041379
Components: FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 11041379

Incident Date October 1, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H18EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIREYes

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HTTPS://WWW.COPART.COM/LOT/39926687/PHOTOS

IT HAS BEEN TOTALLY DESTROYED BY FIRE.

THERE WAS AN INVESTIGATION INTO TESLA FIRES BACK IN 2014 AND IT WAS CLAIMED THAT FIRES WERE CAUSED BY ROAD DEBRIS PUNCTURING THE BATTERY PACK AND THIS PROBLEM WAS SOLVED BY FITTING A BATTERY SHIELD.

TESLAS ARE STILL CATCHING FIRE AT AN ALARMING RATE.

I BELIEVE THAT THE CAUSE OF MANY OF THESE FIRES IS NOT THAT THE LITHIUM BATTERY CATCHES FIRE FIRST BUT THAT THE ETHYLENE GLYCOL LEAKS OUT AND CATCHES FIRE.

THE ATTACHE PHOTOGRAPH OF A 2013 FIRE CLEARLY SHOWS THE COOLANT BLAZING BENEATH THE CAR.

A GOOGLE IMAGE SEARCH FOR “TESLA FIRE” SHOWS MANY OF THESE GLYCOL FIRES.

THE LITHIUM BATTERIES MAY WELL IGNITE AS WELL BUT IN MOST CASES IT SEEMS THAT THE PRIMARY CAUSE OF FIRE IS THE GLYCOL.

ADVICE TO FIRST RESPONDERS SHOULD BE MODIFIED BECAUSE USING WATER IS NOT THE BEST WAY TO EXTINGUISH A FLAMMABLE LIQUID FIRE.

PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

CONCERNED CITIZEN.

October 9, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11032583
Components: SUSPENSION
NHTSA ID Number: 11032583

Incident Date September 1, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H14EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HERE IS ANOTHER WRECKED TESLA WITH SUSPENSION FALLEN TO PIECES:

HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLE?ITEMID=26166552&ROWNUMBER=38&LOADRECENT=TRUE

ONCE AGAIN THE STEERING KNUCKLE HAS SNAPPED IN HALF.

TESLA CHANGED TO A REDESIGNED STEERING KNUCKLE IN 2015 BUT HAVE NOT WARNED OWNERS OF EARLIER MODEL CARS OF THE DANGER.

PLEASE TAKE ACTION NOW.

THANK YOU.

CONCERNED CITIZEN.

October 8, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11032219
NHTSA ID Number: 11032219

Incident Date September 3, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H14EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

ANOTHER TESLA IN THE JUNKYARD:

HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLE?ITEMID=26176753&ROWNUMBER=61&LOADRECENT=TRUE

THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS FALLEN TO BITS.

SEVERAL OF THE ALLOY SUSPENSION PARTS HAVE SNAPPED.

THE WHEEL AND TIRE APPEAR UNDAMAGED EVEN THOUGH THE TESLA WHEELS ARE REPORTEDLY BUILT FRAGILE SO THEY DO NOT INTRUDE INTO THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT DURING A CRASH.

THERE ARE SO MANY OF THESE FAILURES OCCURRING THAT IT IS BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS THAT THERE IS A WEAKNESS IN DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION.

PLEASE BE SO KIND AS TO INVESTIGATE.

THANK YOU.

CONCERNED CITIZEN.

1 Affected Product
Request Research (Services fees apply)

October 4, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11031785
NHTSA ID Number: 11031785

Incident Date August 21, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H18EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

ANOTHER TESLA IN THE JUNKYARD:

HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLE?ITEMID=26239435&ROWNUMBER=49&LOADRECENT=TRUE

SUSPENSION COLLAPSED AND BACK WHEEL IS JUST HANGING ON BY A THREAD.

THIS IS THE SAME KIND OF FAILURE THAT CAUSED A FATAL CRASH IN HAWAII.

HOW MANY MORE INCIDENTS OF SUSPENSION FAILURE DO YOU NEED BEFORE YOU ISSUE A RECALL?

PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

CONCERNED CITIZEN ETC.

February 18, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11073451
Components: UNKNOWN OR OTHER
NHTSA ID Number: 11073451

Incident Date December 19, 2017

Consumer Location HURST, TX

Vehicle Identification Number N/A

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

TORKLIFT CENTRAL SELLS AN “ECOHITCH” FOR THE TESLA MODEL S. UNFORTUNATELY, THEY FAILED TO ACCOUNT FOR THE ALUMINUM BODY–AND THEIR HITCH IS MADE OF STEEL.

GALVANIC CORROSION IS POWERFUL AND DESTROYS THE STRENGTH OF THE BODY. THE POST BELOW SHOWS THE DAMAGE DONE BY AN ECOHITCH IN UNDER 3 YEARS:

HTTPS://FORUMS.TESLARATI.COM/THREADS/TESLA-MODEL-S-HITCH-BY-TORKLIFT-3-YEAR-UPDATE-EATEN-ALIVE.5227/#POST-11321

TORKLIFT CENTRAL’S LATER REPLY, DATED DEC 19, 2017, IS A MAJOR PROBLEM. THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THE PROBLEM, CLAIM THAT OTHER TESLAS HAVE CORROSION PROBLEMS, AND THAT THIS IS, BASICALLY, NOT A BIG DEAL.

WORSE, THEY ALSO WROTE THIS:

“THIS WEEK WE WILL HAVE A SIMPLE KIT AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSULATION PADS - SIMILAR TO WHAT YOU HAVE INSTALLED ON YOUR TESLA MODEL S. WE ARE GOING TO INCLUDE THIS KIT IN ALL TESLA KITS MOVING FORWARD, AS WELL AS CONTACT CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED.”

NOTE THE KEY WORDS, “MOVING FORWARD” AND “RECENTLY.”

THIS IS A GROSS VIOLATION OF THEIR OBLIGATION TO INITIATE A FULL RECALL OF EVERY UNIT THEY HAVE SHIPPED, IN ADDITION TO ENSURING AN INSPECTION OF EVERY TESLA BODY TO WHICH THEIR ECOHITCH WAS ATTACHED.

I REQUEST THAT YOUR ODI IMMEDIATELY CONTACT THE FIRM AND ADVISE THEM OF THEIR OBLIGATIONS UNDER FMVSS (AND OTHER REGULATIONS/LAWS) TO BOTH RECALL THE PRODUCT, AND SECURE THE INSPECTIONS ASAP. TESLA AND COLLISION REPAIR ASSOCIATIONS SHOULD ALSO BE INFORMED AS THEY ARE LIKELY TO BE IN A POSITION TO BOTH REGULARLY SEE AND INSPECT AFFECTED CARS IN A FAR MORE EXPEDIENT MANNER THAN THE MANUFACTURER OF THE ECOHITCH.

IN CLOSING, SOMEONE WAS RECOMMENDING A SIMILAR HITCH FOR A MODEL X. MY INPUT IS TOO LENGTHY TO POST HERE, BUT SINCE MANY TESLAS HAVE A 3RD ROW SEATING FOR CHILDREN, THIS IS A LIFE CRITICAL RECALL.

THANK YOU.

January 26, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11065308
Components: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 11065308

Incident Date November 29, 2017

Consumer Location SAN ANTONIO, TX

Vehicle Identification Number N/A

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

DRIVER STOPPED CAR WHILE PULLING INTO GARAGE WITH REAR WHEELS ON DRIVEWAY SLOPING DOWN AND AWAY FROM GARAGE AND FRONT WHEELS JUST INSIDE GARAGE. VEHICLE CREEP MODE IN OFF POSITION. CAR AT REST. BRAKE RELEASED, AND VEHICLE BEGAN ROLLING BACKWARD DUE TO GRAVITY. ACCELERATOR APPLIED, AND NO INITIAL RESPONSE, CAR CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE BACKWARD ROLL SPEED, SO PEDAL DEPRESSED FURTHER (TESLA VEHICLE LOGS SHOW 25-50% PEDAL TRAVEL AT THIS POINT), AT WHICH TIME DRIVE UNIT QUICKLY ENGAGED AT 25-50% OF FULL ACCELERATION RESULTING IN A SUDDEN UNINTENTIONAL FORWARD ACCELERATION. DRIVER CAUGHT BY SURPRISE AND ATTEMPTED BRAKING. UNFORTUNATELY, VEHICLE IMPACTED FREEZER UNIT IN GARAGE DESTROYING THE FREEZER AND CAUSING SIGNIFICANT VEHICLE STRUCTURAL DAMAGE. THIS SET OF OPERATING PARAMETERS WAS REPRODUCIBLE AND RELIABLY RESULTED IN A SHORT, BUT NOTABLE, DELAY IN PEDAL RESPONSE WHEN ROLLING BACKWARD, RESULTING IN FURTHER PEDAL DEPRESSION, THEN FOLLOWED BY A SUDDEN ACCELERATION FORWARD, WHICH WAS SHORT, BUT, WITH THE POTENTIAL TO BE SIGNIFICANT WHEN COLLISION HAZARDS EXIST NEARBY. THE VEHICLE OPERATING MANUAL CONTAINS NO WARNING REGARDING THIS SITUATION. TESLA WAS MADE AWARE AND WOULD ONLY COMMENT THAT THE VEHICLE DID NOT MALFUNCTION. WHILE THAT MAY BE THE CASE, THE VEHICLE DESIGN SETS UP DRIVERS FOR ACCIDENTS THAT MIGHT RESULT IN INJURY AND PROPERTY DAMAGE WHEN DRIVERS ARE NOT WARNED OF THE VEHICLE’S RESPONSE IN THIS UNIQUE OPERATING CIRCUMSTANCE. AT THE VERY LEAST, IT SEEMS, TESLA SHOULD INCLUDE A WARNING TO DRIVERS ABOUT THIS SITUATION SO THAT DRIVERS MIGHT BE READY FOR SUDDEN ACCELERATIONS IN SUCH INSTANCES, OR DRIVERS MIGHT SIMPLY SELECT CREEP MODE ON IN SUCH SITUATIONS, WHICH WOULD PREVENT THE SUDDEN ACCELERATION.

December 12, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11054240
NHTSA ID Number: 11054240

Incident Date November 1, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1DP9DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLE?ITEMID=26868872&ROWNUMBER=18&LOADRECENT=TRUE

THE FRONT AND BACK WHEELS ON THE LH SIDE HAVE SIMPLY FALLEN OFF AND THE SUSPENSION PARTS HAVE SNAPPED.

THE SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED ON ALL SIDES OF THE CAR PROBABLY DUE TO AN AIR LEAK IN THE SUSPENSION LINES OR A GLITCH IN THE SOFTWARE.

THE RATE AT WHICH WHEELS ARE FALLING OF TESLAS IS SIMPLY RIDICULOUS.

PLEASE DEMAND A RECALL.

THANK YOU.

CONCERNED CITIZEN.

October 22, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11035513
NHTSA ID Number: 11035513

Incident Date October 1, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CN8DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HTTPS://WWW.COPART.COM/LOT/31421117/PHOTOS

ONCE AGAIN THE BACK WHEEL AND SUSPENSION HAS COMPLETELY FALLEN OFF.

NO AIR-BAGS DEPLOYED. NO SIGN OF COLLISION DAMAGE.

SUSPENSION HAS SIMPLY SNAPPED OFF FOR NO GOOD REASON.

THERE IS A CLEAR TREND OF DEFECT IN THE TESLA SUSPENSIONS.

IF THIS CAR WAS BEING PRODUCED IN THE SAME VOLUMES AS MAINSTREAM CAR-MAKERS THEN YOU WOULD BE SEEING THOUSANDS OF CARS WITH WHEELS FALLEN OFF.

IT IS SCANDALOUS THAT THIS DANGER IS ALLOWED TO CONTINUE.

PLEASE ACT NOW TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC.

DATE OF INCIDENT IS AN APPROXIMATION.

October 8, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11032251
NHTSA ID Number: 11032251

Incident Date September 4, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CN3DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HERE IS ANOTHER TESLA IN THE JUNKYARD:

HTTPS://WWW.COPART.COM/LOT/42232387/PHOTOS

IT HAS BEEN IN A ROLLOVER. THE SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED ON ALL FOUR WHEELS AND BOTH BACK WHEELS HAVE GONE WHOMPY.

THERE IS A STRONG LIKELIHOOD THAT THE WHOMPY WHEELS CAUSED THE CRASH RATHER THAN BEING MERELY THE RESULT OF IT.

PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE REASON THAT TESLA SUSPENSIONS COLLAPSE SO OFTEN.

THANK YOU.

CONCERNED CITIZEN ETC.

October 8, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11032218
NHTSA ID Number: 11032218

Incident Date September 1, 2017

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CN9DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

HERE IS ANOTHER TESLA IN THE JUNKYARD:

HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLE?ITEMID=26175292&ROWNUMBER=59&LOADRECENT=TRUE

THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS TOTALLY COLLAPSED AND THE WHEELS ARE JAMMED UP IN THE WHEEL ARCHES.

THE WHEELS ARE NOT POINTING STRAIGHT BUT ARE SKEWED IN TOWARDS EACH OTHER.

NO AIR-BAGS HAVE DEPLOYED. THERE IS NO IMPACT DAMAGE TO THE BODYWORK.

THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER CASE OF SPONTANEOUS COLLAPSING SUSPENSION.

PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

VERY CONCERNED CITIZEN ETC. ETC.

October 4, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11031733
NHTSA ID Number: 11031733

Incident Date August 14, 2017

Consumer Location ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CP4DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

I MADE A LEFT TURN ON KELLOGG DRIVE.I RAN OVER SOME SAFETY DOTS ON THE FLOOR. THE SAFETY DOTS WAS ABNORMAL LARGE IN SIZE. BOTH MY FRONT AND REAR WHEEL RAN OVER MANY LARGE SAFETY DOTS. THE COMPLETE TESLA BRAKE FUNCTION FAILED AND I HAVE NO BRAKE. BY THE TIME MY CAR STOPS I WAS LITERALLY SITTING ON TOP OF SAFETY DOTS. ONCE I COME OUT OF THE CAR I SAW THAT MY LEFT REAR TIRE AND RIMS LOOK LIKE IS FALLING OUT OF PLACE. THE POLICE CAMPUS CAME AND SAID IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR AXEL WAS BROKEN. THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO THE OUTER APPEARANCE OF MY TESLA ONLY A UPPER SUSPENSION WHICH WAS DAMAGE. I BELIEVE THE PARTS WAS AN INTEGRITY ISSUE AND TESLA DENIES IT.

Complaint Number: 11075498
Vehicle Identification Number: Unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Suspension
What happened?
Here are two discussion threads in which Tesla owners report cracked suspension forelinks that happened on their cars and which were not the result of abuse or wear and tear but just sudden spontaneous fractures of the alloy parts. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/rattle-noise-coming-from-front-air-suspension.108171/page-3#post-2589383 And https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/cracked-forelink.95637/page-2 The latest post includes close up photographs of the broken part and also a photograph of the new replacement that Tesla supplied under warranty. The replacement part is an improved and stronger design. Why has there not been a recall? Most cars are still driving around with the dangerously thin suspension links. SNIP ** Bill D, Yesterday at 2:20 PM Last edited: Yesterday at 2:27 PM aromasca said: ↑ Ugh, I had the exact same sound where I thought the wheel is rubbing. Do you have an air suspension or 21" wheels? How did you get access to check this part ? do you have to remove the wheel? I have air suspension and 19" wheels. No need to remove the wheel to see it. It is visible if you lay on the ground in front of the car. The part of my right front suspension that broke is called a Fore Link. The piece that broke off was laying in my driveway. This looks like this failure could have been very dangerous it it happened at a high speed. Here’s some photos before and after warranty replacement of the Fore Link.** Photos are attached to this complaint. I am not an owner, just a concerned citizen. Owners are reluctant to report to authorities. Tesla is still making use of Non Disclosure Agreements in return for providing repairs. Owners are dependent upon Tesla as they are the only place that can supply parts and do repairs. Please act before more people are killed. Thank you.
Files you uploaded.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
When did this happen? 02/27/2018
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 30
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 5000
First Name: Keef
Last Name: Wivaneff

Complaint Number: 11075733
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1H27EFP63823
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2014
What happened?
Here is a Tesla Model S freshly arrived in the junkyard. https://www.copart.com/lot/23369768 The RH back wheel and suspension has broken off. Close up photograph shows that the suspension giblets have been ripped out. The wheel and tire are undamaged. It is highly unlikely that the wheel could have been struck a hard enough blow to snap the suspension without any damage being caused to the wheel itself. The Alloy wheels are known to be quite fragile as can be seen in the crash test videos where the wheel is easily smashed in a collision. There are so many cases of failed Tesla suspensions being reported by owners that it is blindingly obvious there is a problem. Do you actually have any engineers at NHTSA? Are your computer geeks waiting for the " Oh crap there is a problem" algorithm threshold to be triggered? How many “get out of jail free” cards does Tesla have left. Please get out of the office and go and inspect some of these broken Teslas. Thank you. Concerned citizen. Date of incident is an approximation.
Files you uploaded.
20.JPG
When did this happen? 02/01/2018
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? No
Were Vehicles Towed? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 40
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 25000

Complaint Number: 11075735
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E12GF136896
What happened?
And another Tesla freshly arrived in the junkyard. https://www.copart.com/lot/50206827 Guess what? The back wheel went whompy. Given the relatively small number of Teslas sold compared to mainstream manufacturers the number of these cars in the wreckers yard is astonishing. And so many of them have whompy wheels. Would you please be so kind as to investigate. Thank you. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
21.JPG
Was there a Crash? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? No
Was there a Fire? No

Complaint Number: 11075740
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E20GF171395
What happened?
Here is yet another Tesla in the junkyard with a busted suspension. https://www.copart.com/lot/24242548 The bolts on the suspension arms have snapped. You have several other reports of these bolts snapping without any good reason. Example: NHTSA ID Number: 11074328 SnipTHE LEFT FRONT FORE LINK BALL JOINT SNAPPED LIKE GLASS DURING NORMAL DRIVING. LUCKILY I WAS GOING AT RELATIVELY LOW SPEED ON A SIDE STREET. THIS ALLOWED THE SUSPENSION TO ALLOW THE WHEEL TO SLAM INTO THE FIREWALL AND IT LOCKED UP CAUSING THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE TO HIT A CURB. AS AN ENGINEER THIS SCARES THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME, AS IF IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED ON A HIGH SPEED HIGHWAY TURN, THE RESULTS COULD HAVE BEEN DEADLY. EVEN WITHOUT AN UNDERSTANDING OF ADVANCED METALLURGY, IT’S CLEAR THAT A HARDENED STEEL BALL JOINT SHOULD BE STRONGER THEN THE SURROUNDING ALUMINUM ALLOY PARTS ON EITHER SIDE THAT IT ATTACHES TO. IT LOOKS LIKE A GLASS ROD HIT WITH A HAMMER. THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANOTHER 2014 IN OUR FAMILY ABOUT A YEAR AGO, AND I CHALKED IT UP TO RANDOM FAILURE. BUT NOW 2 FAILURES? I HAVE THE ORIGINAL FAILED PART IF NEEDED FOR ANALYSIS. THE REPLACEMENT PART I OBTAINED THROUGH TESLA HAS BEEN RE-ENGINEERED, AND APPEARS TO BE FROM A DIFFERENT SUPPLIER. I WENT AHEAD AND REPLACED BOTH SIDES, AND I STILL HAVE THE NON-FAILED PART ON THE LEFT SIDE. I ATTEMPTED TO CONTACT TESLA ABOUT THIS, AND THEY HAVE NOT RESPONDED TO ME. Please take immediate action Thank you. Very concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
23.JPG
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 30

Complaint Number: 11075746
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1H11EFP41114
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2014
What part of your car was affected? Steering, Suspension
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the junkyard: https://www.copart.com/lot/23955718/Photos It has been in a major crash, has bio-hazard stickers and it is near certain that occupants have been killed or injured. Obviously the car is badly damaged and has been in a rollover. Both LH wheels and suspensions have snapped off completely. RH wheels are both whompy. It seems highly probable that detached or whompy wheels were the cause of the crash. Please investigate. Than you. Concerned citizen. (Date of crash and deaths/injuries are approximations based on the photographs of the wreck.)
Files you uploaded.
26.JPG
When did this happen? 01/01/2018
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? Yes
Number of fatalities: 1
Number of injuries 1
Medical Attention Required? Yes
How fast were you going? (in mph) 70
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 1000

Complaint Number: 11075748
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E21GF156419
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2016
What part of your car was affected? Steering, Suspension
What happened?
Here is a Tesla Model X in the junkyard: https://www.copart.com/lot/25589048 The front RH wheel is jammed back in the wheel arch and yet there is no collision damage forward of the wheel. Even the headlight glass is intact. The driver’s airbag has not gone off just the side curtain air-bags. The side impact probably happened after the driver lost control when the wheel went whompy. Please investigate. Concerned citizen etc.
When did this happen? 03/01/2018
Was there a Crash? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 26000