Otto has a LOBOTOMY!

Autopilot 8.0 fail - it lost control on very simple freeway situation today
Discussion in ‘Model S’ started by calisnow, Today at 9:50 AM.
Watch Thread
Go to First Unread
calisnow
calisnow
#1calisnow, Today at 9:50 AM
New Just a reminder that this thing is still not perfect. I was in the right hand lane on I-10 going east today between L.A. and San Bernardino. The freeway was “compressing” - the lane I was in gradually tapering to the left as the freeway lost one lane.

Suddenly, for reasons unknown to me the car bleeped out the emergency warning alarm and flashed “take control immediately” - it lost its confidence on where the right hand lane marker was and began drifting over the line toward the right hand concrete barrier.

The only thing I could think of was that there were some shadows making the right hand lane marker less distinct than it would have otherwise been, and this was a low-contrast section of freeway in general.

However otherwise I am finding 8.0 the last couple days to be rock solid on relatively low-contrast freeway situations with poor lane markings.

This is the first time in months that I’ve seen the “take control immediately” total autopilot failure happen.
Current Tesla: 2016 70D. On order: Model S, Model 3.
malcolm
malcolm
#2malcolm, Today at 9:59 AM
New Regular commute route?

Can you re-create the problem?
It’s never too late to learn: The Autopilot Song
calisnow
calisnow
#3calisnow, Today at 10:02 AM
New
malcolm said: ↑
Regular commute route?

Can you re-create the problem?
I don’t have a regular commute but I travel that stretch relatively frequently. I’ll try it again tomorrow and see if it happens again. Actually, now that I am thinking about it, there is another “lane compression” stretch about 15 miles further east in Redlands where I have had the same problem a couple times. I can take photos.
Current Tesla: 2016 70D. On order: Model S, Model 3.
malcolm
malcolm
#4malcolm, Today at 10:06 AM
New
calisnow said: ↑
I can take photos.
With your hands on the wheel I’m not sure I want to know how you press the shutter :smiley:
Funny x 1
malcolm
malcolm
#5malcolm, Today at 10:23 AM
New Video might be the safer option; leaving you free to focus on driving - especially at the moment AP is drifting off mission.

It’ll be interesting to see if it can learn this stretch of road over time.
CHG-ON
CHG-ON
Still in love after all these miles
NorCal - Reno Tesla Owners (formerly SacArea) Silicon Valley (CA Bay Area) Tesla Club
#6CHG-ON, 3 minutes ago
New@calisnow: I have the same problem since 8.0. I have lost all trust in AP. It was so much better before with the original release and the second rev. It now wanders all over the place and does scary things.

#notf-inghappyanymore but still STUPID enough to let Otto drive.

Complaint Number: 10919196
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2015
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Brakes, Speed Control, Steering
What happened?
This is another complaint about the Tesla Autopilot. Owners are complaining on the forums that the new upgrade version 8.0 has made things even more dangerous. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/with-8-0-i-have-to-take-over-for-auto-pilot-more.78049/page-2 Sample: The bad news: 1) The ‘crest of the hill’ problem seems just as bad as v7.1. All bets are off what AP is going to do when you crest a hill, so a firm grip on the wheel to make sure AP does not do something silly is required when cresting a hill. 2) There is a use case which is quite dangerous. When you approach stopped traffic directly ahead the radar ‘sees’ the stopped traffic, identifies the stopped traffic as a target, and brakes sensibly. Every time so far. However, when the road is curved and the stopped traffic is not directly in front of the car (but is off to the right or the left) then the AP does not acquire the stopped traffic as a target, and does not brake. You had better be prepared to manually brake hard in this circumstance. Mine hasn’t improved. It still wanders across clear lines into oncoming traffic. The lines are indicated on the instrument cluster in blue and the car is shown straddling the line. It’s like the ap has given up but hasn’t warned me. I had the AP set for 50 mph and a car pulled out and stopped across my lane about 800 ft ahead. AP showed no signs of slowing, and at about 150 ft I had to come to a hard stop manually to avoid a colision. Funny I was going to start a new thread about how AP is too scary to use in 8.0. Guess I’m not alone. Both braking and steering. If I could go back several revisions, I would. I don’t feel like using it almost anywhere anymore. Tthe car brakes too hard and too far away from cars ahead turning right - even when there’s a turn lane. I’m always afraid that someone is going to rear-end me when this happens