Power steering failure

Complaint Number: 11088871
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2015
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Steering
What happened?
Here is a forum post from today where an owner reports that his electric steering motor has fallen off: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/power-steering-falling-apart.100951/page-15 **cvrcv, Today at 1:58 AM My power steering motor fell off while attempting to pull out of my garage this morning. 12/2015 delivery, 15k miles. I was going to replace the bolts myself on the Saturday after the recall announcement, but I decided not to given Tesla was doing a recall. Was almost impossible for me to steer it. You never realize how heavy the Model S steering is, because the power steering turns on as soon as you open the door. Also I don’t see FSD is going to work without dual redundant power steering motors. Single point of failure. ** There is already a “voluntary recall” issued for this problem but Tesla describes it as non urgent and not a safety issue. That is ridiculous. Just on that forum thread alone there have been dozens of cases of the steering motor falling off completely and the car being near impossible to steer. Pointing out the bleeding obvious - the Tesla Autopilot relies on this motor. Please issue an IMMEDIATE recall. Thank you. Concerned citizen.
Files you uploaded.
wr1.JPG
When did this happen? 04/17/2018
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 10
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 15000

Thanks to whistleblowers there was a recall on problems like these, the whistleblower efforts and recalls will probably save lives and property.

Documenting and reporting problems like these to government watchdogs like NHTSA has probably helped pressure Tesla into doing a “voluntary recall”. Though such actions have or at least will save lives and property damage; Tesla forums and other Tesla cultists are angry, hateful and vindictive against the whistleblowers that saved lives, property and helped to improve the Tesla product.

“Tesla voluntarily recalls 123,000 Model S cars over faulty steering component”

If I understand correctly Tesla and its service centers first brushed off these problems when they were first reported to them, thus whistleblowers had to contact government agencies because Tesla and its service centers had a disregard for safety. I’ve heard some Tesla owners were even charged parts and labor for these problems before the recall was issued.

It’s pathetic when a car company is so lousy that Tesla owners try to Macgyver an unsafe temporary stopgap to get the power steering to work.

Thank you Copro.
It is even worse than that.
On the thread linked below dozens of owner report Power Steering literally falling apart and causing the steering to jam completely.
Tesla issues a “non-urgent” recall and claims there is no risk to lives.

Those that dare to complain are attacked by the congregation and threatened with dire punishment for apostasy.
Tesla has them by the balls, if they complain they can be blackballed and have their cars remotely disabled.

According to Tesla there’s nothing whatsoever wrong with this guy’s steering:

All them horrific creaking and crunching noises are perfectly normal - you two are such negative Nellies and clearly far too old, bitter and cynical to be part of the bright new future that Saint Elon is single handedly crafting for all mankind…

You should all be ELONING!

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-meaning-of-eloning

Don’t mean to rush you Ewon BUT…

November 23, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11153257
Components: STEERING, SUSPENSION

NHTSA ID Number: 11153257

Incident Date November 12, 2018

Consumer Location BOCA RATON, FL

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E15GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES1

DEATHS0

I AM REQUESTING THAT THE NHTSA INVESTIGATE TESLA?S UNEXPLAINED SWERVING ON THE HIGHWAY, FOLLOWED BY ITS FAILURE TO RESPOND TO THE DRIVER?S INPUTS TO THE STEERING, RESULTING IN A SINGLE CAR CRASH.

I WAS DRIVING MY TESLA MODEL S IN THE LEFTMOST LANE OF THE NORTHBOUND FLORIDA TURNPIKE AROUND 8 PM. I WAS FOLLOWING THE TRAFFIC AND I BELIEVE MY SPEED WAS AROUND 70 MPH. I WAS IN FULL CONTROL AND THE VEHICLE WAS NOT IN SELF-DRIVING MODE. SUDDENLY, AND WITHOUT WARNING, THE CAR STARTED SWERVING. I TRIED TO STEER IT, BUT THE CAR FAILED TO RESPOND TO MY INPUTS TO THE STEERING (THE STEERING WAS NOT LOCKED). WITHIN SECONDS, THE CAR CRASHED INTO THE MEDIAN, AND FROM THAT IMPACT, CUT ACROSS THE HIGHWAY AND CRASHED NEXT INTO THE GUARD RAILS AT THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HIGHWAY, AND FROM THE IMPACT OF THAT CRASH, TURNED AROUND AND STOPPED IN THE RIGHTMOST / CENTER LANE. THE ACCIDENT RESULTED IN A TOTAL LOSS OF THE VEHICLE. THE WEATHER WAS CLEAR BUT RIGHT AROUND WHEN THE ACCIDENT HAPPENED, A LIGHT DRIZZLE STARTED.

BECAUSE THE ACCIDENT RESULTED IN DAMAGE TO THE HIGHWAY GUARD RAILS, I RECEIVED A CITATION (WHICH I AM PLEADING ?NOT GUILTY? TO).

MY HUSBAND AND I BOUGHT THIS NEW MODEL S VEHICLE IN MARCH 2016. THE CURRENT MILEAGE ON IT WAS ALMOST 60,000 MILES. WITH REGARDS TO THE MAINTENANCE HISTORY OF THE VEHICLE, THE FOLLOWING MAY BE PERTINENT INFORMATION:

1. WE RECEIVED A SAFETY NOTICE FROM TESLA IN MARCH 2018 REGARDING THE POWER STEERING COMPONENT (EMAIL ATTACHED). HOWEVER, THE EMAIL DID NOT REQUIRE ANY IMMEDIATE ACTION ON OUR PART AND SIMPLY ADVISED US TO WAIT FOR AVAILABILITY OF PARTS IN OUR REGION. WE NEVER RECEIVED ANOTHER NOTICE.

2. IN APRIL 2018, AFTER A HEAVY RAIN EVENT, THE CAR WOULD OCCASIONALLY SHUT OFF AND NOT RESTART. IT WAS SERVICED BY TESLA, AND FOUND TO HAVE NO OTHER CONCERNS (INVOICE ATTACHED).

TESLA WAS NOTIFIED 9 DAYS BACK AND WE ARE WAITING FOR AN EXPLANATION.