Questions for Keef

Hi Keef,

I have followed your posts with some close attention over the last year. I find some of your observations about Tesla vehicles’ build quality provocative, but I am no engineer. Could you be persuaded to help us, the reading public especially those of us who are not very knowledgeable about auto materials and construction, see the big picture? What is the main issue with Tesla cars? Is it the use of alluminum, which isn’t able to bear the weight of the battery? Is it shoddy construction in general? Are most of the problems locatable to a particular design decision?

Based on what you know about car construction, do you think that the problems you’re identifying are ones that can be fixed by Tesla? Why do you think that Tesla hasn’t already fixed them? Perhaps auto manufacturing lines are not very flexible, parts are difficult to re-jig, etc.

I am asking you because I thought this might be a good moment to synthesize the many different lines of thinking, criticisms, and faults you’ve found, taking a breath, scoping out, and helping non-experts such as myself make sense of your evidence and how serious these problems are.

I’ve named this thread “Questions for Keef”, in case others also have questions. Though, I’m not sure how alive these forums are.

Thanks.

I think I’ve hogged the forum enough so I’ll keep it brief/
I have an engineering background but you really need the opinions of an automotive engineer and materials expert.
My advanced mathematics and calculus is a bit rusty but my seat of the pants engineering tells me that the components are much too fragile and the quality of engineering is very poor.
There are many instance of the same kind of failure happening over and over.
One particular failure that happens repeatedly is breakage of the top of the steering knuckle.
Having the steel pin of the top ball joint secured only by squeezing up a slotted hole in Aluminium is absurd design.
When that part gives way it causes the caster angle to go in the wrong direction.
This means that it is no longer self-centreing but instead wants to skew sideways like the wheel of a supermarket trolley when you push it backwards.
The result is catastrophic.

Enough from me.
Is there an automotive engineer in the house?

This man has done a much better job than I could have done at analysing the Netherlands crash and the suspension issues.
http://seekingalpha.com/user/28605463/comments

m’kay v interesting!

I see dead people.

Complaint Number: 11016103
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E11GF159666
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Suspension
What happened?
There was a fatal crash in Hawaii on June12th this year. http://khon2.com/2017/06/12/waimanalo-man-killed-in-crash-on-pali-hwy/8 The Tesla driver claims that he was hit from behind by a speeding SUV which then lost control and overturned killing the driver of that vehicle. Photographs at the crash site show the Tesla having lost the LH back wheel. The Tesla has now shown up in the salvage yard: https://www.copart.com/lot/32722527/Photos8 The car is undamaged apart from having lost a wheel. It was NOT hit from behind. It is absolutely clear that the Tesla lost a wheel without any impact damage and that the SUV was forced to swerve to avoid the Tesla making that driver lose control and roll over causing his death. Please recall these cars before more innocent lives are lost. I am filing these reports in the public interest. A dummy USA address has been used to satisfy your website requirements. My genuine contact details are supplied with this submission.
Files you uploaded.
hawaiiwreck.JPG
hawaiiwreck2.JPG
When did this happen? 06/12/2017
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? Yes
Number of fatalities: 1
Number of injuries 0
Medical Attention Required? Yes