Suspension complaints filed by actual owners

This is to try and make the information easier to digest.
I will also put up a separate thread showing complaints by non-owners (Keef) and including photographs with each complaint.

Date Complaint Filed: 07/18/2016Date of Incident: 07/18/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10885723Consumer Location: SAN DIEGO, CA
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP3CF…
SUMMARY:
NOTICED THIS PROBLEM AFTER I WAS BACKING UP AND TURNING MY WHEELS AND WOULD HEAR A LOUD METAL ON METAL “CLUNK” OR “GRINDING” SOUND. IT WAS COMING FROM THE FRONT-LEFT SUSPENSION AND WOULD OCCUR CAUSING MY WHEEL AND STEERING TO FEEL LIKE IT WAS SKIPPING. I NOTICED AND MY STEERING FELT “LOOSE” OVER BUMPS AND WOULD PULL TO THE LEFT. AGAIN THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION AND THIS WAS FELT THE MOST WHEN TURNING FULL MOTION AND/OR BACKING UP AND TURNING. WHEN LOOKING AT ONE OF THE CONTROL-ARM JOINTS AFTER I NOTICED A VERY LOUD CLUNK AND COMPARING IT TO THE OTHER SIDE OF OF THE SUSPENSION, IT LOOKS LIKE EITHER A BOLT FELL OUT OR THE BALL-JOINT TO THE CONTROL ARM WAS JUST GRINDING FREELY. I’VE SINCE BROUGHT MY CAR TO TESLA AND THEY HAVE CONFIRMED THAT I HAVE A DEFECTIVE BALL-JOINT TO MY CONTROL ARM THATS ALSO DAMAGED MY STEERING KNUCKLE. IF I DIDNT CATCH THIS OR IT WAS BROKE AT GREATER SPEEDS WHATS THE LIKELY HOOD OF ME LOOSING CONTROL? I’VE ASKED IF THEY WILL REPLACE ALL THE OTHER PARTS IF THEY HAVE UPDATED PARTS BUT THEY SAID ONLY THE ITEMS THAT ARE DEFECTIVE IN THIS CASE WILL BE WARRANTIED. I SIMPLY DO NOT FEEL SAFE ANYMORE DRIVING THIS VEHICLE.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/13/2016Date of Incident: 06/09/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10873808Consumer Location: KANKAKEE, IL
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1AG1DF…
SUMMARY:
AT 45K MILES MY SUSPENSION FAILED. IT REQUIRED A NEW CONTROL ARM AND SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT. TESLA SAID “DROVE VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE. UPON INSPECTION FOUND LEFT FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM JOINT TO HAVE EXCESSIVE FREEPLAY.” THE INDIVIDUAL AT TESLA SAID IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. I WAS DRIVING THE CAR AND HEARD A CRACK NOISE WHILE GOING DOWN A STREET. FROM THEN ON OUT MY CAR MADE LOUD SQUEAKING AND CRACKING NOISES.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/28/2016Date of Incident: 04/24/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10862066Consumer Location: CONNELLSVILLE, PA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): P09340…
SUMMARY:
MY FRONT WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLY CAME LOOSE FROM THE UPPER CONTROL ARM CAUSING A LOSE OF STEERING.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/02/2015Date of Incident: 05/02/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10714213Consumer Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DN3DF…
SUMMARY:
LEFT REAR SUSPENSION INTEGRAL LINK COMPLETELY BROKE AND THE ATTACHED PIECE LODGED IN THE INSIDE OF THE TIRE RIM CAUSING MAJOR DAMAGE TO THE TIRE RIM.

Date Complaint Filed: 01/27/2015Date of Incident: 01/27/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10679347Consumer Location: HURST, TX
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP4DF…
SUMMARY:
WAS REPLACING THE LEFT REAR WHEEL AND NOTED AN ODD “NOTCH” IN THE LEFT REAR SUSPENSION ALUMINUM UPPER CONTROL ARM. CLOSER INSPECTION REVEALED THAT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM WAS PARTIALLY SEVERED WITH APPROXIMATELY 1/2 OF THE LOWER PORTION CROSS SECTION, AND 1/3 TO 1/4 OF THE UPPER PORTION CROSS SECTION, CUT THROUGH BY THE LOWER SHOCK ABSORBER ATTACHMENT BOLT. IT APPEARS THAT THE BOLT WAS MOUNTED BACKWARDS, WITH THE SHARP TIP OF THE BOLT FACING FORWARD INSTEAD OF REARWARD, AT EITHER THE FACTORY, OR WHEN THE POWERTRAIN WAS REPLACED BY THE TESLA DENVER SERVICE CENTER (AS REPORTED BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER). EXTENSIVE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE AVAILABLE AND, FRANKLY, THEY ARE ESSENTIAL TO ACCURATELY DEPICT THE SERIOUS AND POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC NATURE OF THIS SUSPENSION DAMAGE. IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM, A MAJOR SUSPENSION COMPONENT WHOSE FAILURE WOULD LIKE RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND POSSIBLY A ROLLOVER ACCIDENT, WAS AT OR NEAR THE POINT OF FRACTURE DUE TO THE MASSIVE LOSS OF CROSS SECTIONAL MATERIAL FROM THE FREQUENT IMPACTS (ON SUSPENSION COMPRESSION) BY THE MUCH HARDER/STRONGER BOLT TIP. IN OTHER WORDS, THE BOLT TIP ACTED AS A LATHE, CUTTING INTO THE SUSPENSION CONTROL ARM WITH EACH SUSPENSION CYCLE. IN THE SHORT TERM, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND AN IMMEDIATE INSPECTION OF THE TESLA MODEL S FLEET, BEGINNING WITH MODEL S’S THAT HAVE HAD THEIR POWERTRAIN LOWERED AND REINSTALLED, TO SEE HOW MANY OTHER MODEL S’S HAVE THIS IMPENDING CATASTROPHIC DEFECT. WHILE IT COULD HAPPEN, I WOULD BE HIGHLY SURPRISED IF THIS VIN WAS THE ONE AND ONLY CASE OF THIS BOLT BEING INSTALLED BACKWARDS. IN THE LONGER TERM, I RECOMMEND THIS BOLT BE REDESIGNED SO AS TO PREVENT INCORRECT INSTALLATION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND FOR THE PHOTOGRAPHS. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 06/17/2016Date of Incident: 04/04/2016Component(s): POWER TRAIN , SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10874898Consumer Location: HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:1 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S14EF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY GOING APPROXIMATELY 60MPH WHEN I SUDDENLY LOST CONTROL ON A SLIGHT TURN TO TRANSFER FREEWAYS. I SWIPED INTO THE RIGHT FREEWAY WALL AND SPUN OUT DOING A COMPLETE 180 AND ENDED UP ON THE LEFT FREEWAY WALL. I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND HOW I LOST CONTROL WHEN I WAS NOT GOING THAT FAST, AND THE TURN WAS NOT AT ALL ABRUPT NOR SEVERE IN ANGLE. THE SIDE AIRBAGS WERE DEPLOYED, AND WHEN I EXITED THE VEHICLE, THE REAR RIGHT TIRE AND AXLE WAS COMPLETELY DISLODGED. I NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT, AND I COULDN’T UNDERSTAND HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/28/2016Date of Incident: 05/06/2016Component(s): SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10877039Consumer Location: DANVILLE, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S18FF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS DRIVING THE 2015 TESLA MODEL S , WEST BOUND ON I-80 APPROACHING THE BAY BRIDGE IN SAN FRANCISCO FROM OAKLAND , I HEARD S TRANCE SQUEAKY NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR OF MY CAR & I PULLED OVER THAT SAW THE LEFT REAR TIRE & WHEEL LOOKED TILTED , IT APPEARED THE WHEELS & SUSPENSION OF THE CAR HAD FAILED SUSPENSION FAILED . I CALLED TESLA ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AT 2:30 PM ASKING FOR HELP , THE ANSWERING SERVICE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HELP THE TESLA WAS ARGUING WITH ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THIS ISSUE MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY AND I MAY NEED TO PAY FOR THE TOWING COST & REPAIR COST. THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME IN ANYWAY TO BRING THE CAR TO THEIR SERVICE . I CALLED A TOWING SERVICE & HAD THE CAR TOWED AT MY OWN EXPENSE AFTER THE LONG NEVER ENDING WAITING & TERRIBLE TRAFFIC OF FRIDAY AFTERNOON . I GOT THE CAR TOWED TO THE TESLA SERVICE IN DUBLIN CALIFORNIA . THEY TOOK MY CAR IN FRIDAY EVENING. THE NEXT MONDAY THEY CALLED AND SAID THE LEFT REAR AXLE & WHEEL ARE BROKEN . THE COST TO REPAIR $13,000. THEY DENIED THAT THIS IS WARRANTY ISSUE . MY INSURANCE PAID FOR THIS OUTRAGEOUS REPAIR COST . IT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR THEM TO FIX THE AXLE & THE WHEEL . I AM NOT CONFIDENT THAT THIS CAR IS SAFE TO DRIVE . THE TESLA COSTUMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE , THEY ARE UNHELPFUL , CHEAP & LEAVE THE COSTUMER HIGH & DRY IN A CRISIS . THEY DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CAR PARTS FAILURE & WARRANTY ISSUES . I HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED BROKEN WHEELS OR AXLES IN MY 20 YEARS OF DRIVING .

Date Complaint Filed: 06/21/2016Date of Incident: 06/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10875120Consumer Location: SAN JOSE, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E24GF…
SUMMARY:
2016 TESLA MODEL S. CONSUMER WRITES IN REGARDS TO VEHICLE SUSPENSION/ FRONT WHEEL CONTROL ARM ISSUES. *SMD THE CONSUMER STATED THE CONTROL ARM BROKE, WHEN HE ATTEMPTED TO BACK OUT OF HIS GARAGE. *JB

Date Complaint Filed: 08/26/2016Date of Incident: 08/05/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10898994Consumer Location: ALAMO, CA
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
help 0 Available Documents
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E23FF…
SUMMARY:
MY TESLA MODEL S - 2015 - HAD THE LEFT FRONT SUSPENSION MALFUNCTION. TESLA CLAIMS IT WAS DAMAGED - ALTHOUGH THE CAR HAS ONLY BEEN DRIVEN 12000 MILES - AND ONLY ON CITY STREETS AND HIGHWAYS. THERE HAS BEEN NO OFF ROADING AND HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS. THE CAR WAS LEFT UNABLE TO BE DRIVEN. THE TESLA DEALER REFUSES TO DISCUSS THE MATTER - SIMPLY SAYING THAT THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND INSISTING I FILE AN INSURANCE CLAIM. I HAVE ASKED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR - AND CAN NOT GET A REPLY FROM THEM. I HAVE CALLED TESLA HEAD OFFICE - AND THEY REFERRED ME BACK TO THE LOCAL DEAL - AND ASSURED ME THEY WOULD FOLLOW UP AND THEY HAVE NOT. FURTHER MORE - THE REPLACEMENT PARTS HAVE BEEN ON ORDER AND ARE TAKING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF TIME. I AM CONCERNED - AFTER RESEARCHING THIS - THAT THE TESLA AIR SUSPENSION MAY BE FAULTY - AND MY IN FACT BE HAZARDOUS WHEN DRIVING.

Date Complaint Filed: 10/09/2016Date of Incident: 10/05/2016Component(s): SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10914970Consumer Location: SEATTLE, WA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H25FF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS DRIVING MY CAR TO WORK AND ACCIDENTALLY SCRAPED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL ON A CURB NEAR A ROUNDABOUT ON AN OLD/NARROW SEATTLE STREET (THERE WAS ONCOMING TRAFFIC AND PARKED CARS SO I HAD VERY LITTLE ROOM ON MY RIGHT AND MIS-JUDGED). THE PAINT ON THE WHEEL WAS PRETTY BADLY SCRAPED UP BUT OTHERWISE THE CAR WAS FINE (NO BODY DAMAGE) AND THE WHEEL HAD NO VISUAL STRUCTURAL DAMAGE (THE CAR’S ALIGNMENT WAS NOT AFFECTED). I CONTINUED DRIVING TO WORK WITHOUT ISSUE, INCLUDING 5-6 MILES ON THE HIGHWAY AT 60MPH. WHEN PARKING IN THE UNDERGROUND GARAGE AT MY OFFICE 20 MINUTES AFTER THE CURB INCIDENT, I TURNED THE WHEEL TO THE LEFT TO ADJUST MY CAR IN THE PARKING SPOT AND HEARD/FELT A RUBBING SOUND, FOLLOWED BY A LOUD CLUNK. THE FRONT RIGHT OF THE CAR DROPPED AND THE WHEEL FELL OFF THE SUSPENSION AND WAS WEDGED UNDER THE FRONT OF THE CAR. THE CAR WAS DISABLED AND HAD TO BE TOWED TO TESLA. GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF FORCE APPLIED TO THE WHEEL BY THE CURB AND THE LACK OF OTHER SYMPTOMS, IT SEEMS UNLIKELY THAT ANY NORMAL, STOCK SUSPENSION SHOULD FAIL AS IT DID WITH THIS CAR. IT APPEARS A BOLT ON THE LOWER CONTROL ARM SHEARED OFF COMPLETELY WHEN I WAS PARKING (AND HAD PROBABLY BEEN FATIGUED BY THE CURBING INCIDENT).

Date Complaint Filed: 11/03/2016Date of Incident: 10/10/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10924050Consumer Location: SAINT LOUIS, MO
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E26GF…
SUMMARY:
BALL JOINT EQUIVALENT FRACTURED WHILE PULLING OUT OF GARAGE. FRONT END FELL, NEARLY BRINGING TIRE INTO CONTACT WITH WHEEL WELL.

(freshly reported)

Date Complaint Filed: 11/16/2016Date of Incident: 11/12/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10926399Consumer Location: CREVE COEUR, MO
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CG7DF…
SUMMARY:
RIGHT FRONT WHEEL’S SUSPENSION BALL JOINT OF A ARM SEPARATED WHILE DRIVING ABOUT 35 MPH GOING STRAIGHT AHEAD ON SMOOTH PAVED ROAD. CAR WAS STOPPED SAFELY AND PULLED OFF ROAD. AFTER STOPPING CAR, THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL WAS STILL ATTACHED BUT WAS LEANING IN ABOUT 15 DEGREES FROM VERTICAL. RESULTED IN $3100 OF DAMAGE TO CAR’S SUSPENSION COMPONENTS AND TIRE.

COMPLAINTS: Displaying 1 - 5 out of 112
Date Complaint Filed: 12/18/2016Date of Incident: 12/18/2016Component(s): SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10936088Consumer Location: BRONXVILLE, NY
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E2XGF…
SUMMARY:
LEFT WHEEL FELL OFF FROM WHAT APPEARS TO BE A BROKEN BOLT CONTROLLING LOWER CONTROL ARM. THE CAR WAS BACKING INTO A DRIVEWAY AT LOW SPEEDS WITH A SUDDEN THUD. THE LEFT FRONT WAS RESTING ON THE TIRE WITH THE TIRE TURNED AT 90 DEGREES. THE LOWER CONTROL ARM WAS NO LONGER ATTACHED WITH THE BOLT BROKEN. SEE PICTURES.

Date Complaint Filed: 01/17/2017Date of Incident: 01/02/2017Component(s): SUSPENSION ,
WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10945692Consumer Location: RANCHO SANTA FE, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCAE20GF…
SUMMARY:
WHILE DRIVING ON THE SECOND FLOOR OF A PARKING GARAGE AT THE LOCAL MALL WITH THE ENTIRE FAMILY IN THE MODEL X (2 ADULTS & 3 KIDS) TO SEE A FAMILY MOVIE, THE REAR DRIVER SIDE WHEEL “FELL-OFF” (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO’S). IT APPEARS AS THOUGH THE CONTROL ARM DISENGAGED FROM THE CHASSIS OF THE CAR VIS-A-VIS A MISSING BOLT OR PIN. THE VEHICLE IS BRAND-NEW (I.E., LESS THAN 1,000 MI), PURCHASED DIRECTLY FROM TESLA, IS DRIVEN BY A MOTHER OF THREE, AND IS ACCIDENT FREE. THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN SUBJECT TO ANY EXTREME WEAR AND TEAR OR OFF-ROAD DRIVING CONDITIONS. TESLA SERVICE MANAGER IS FAMILIAR WITH VEHICLE AS IT HAS BEEN RECENTLY SERVICED FOR DOOR/WINDOW ISSUES - NO FRAME OR WHEEL ISSUES PRIOR TO THE INCIDENT. THE VEHICLE WAS IN MOTION, HOWEVER AS MENTIONED, WE WERE DRIVING IN A CROWDED PARKING GARAGE DURING HOLIDAY SEASON. TESLA ROAD-SIDE SERVICE WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL AND ARRANGED TO HAVE THE CAR TOWED TO THE LOCAL SERVICE CENTER - THE CAR WAS OBVIOUSLY NOT DRIVABLE. TOW TRUCK DRIVER HAD MENTIONED HE HAD NEVER WITNESSED ANYTHING LIKE WHAT HE HAD SEEN WITH OUR VEHICLE. MOREOVER, HE DID EXPRESS TO US THAT WE WERE VERY LUCKY THAT THE WHEEL HADN’T DISENGAGED FROM THE VEHICLE WHILE WE WERE DRIVING AT A HIGH SPEED (E.G., ON THE HIGHWAY). THE MODEL X HAS BEEN AT THE TESLA SERVICE CENTER FOR CLOSE TO 3 WEEKS AND DESPITE OUR INQUIRIES, WE HAVE NOT BEEN EXPRESSLY TOLD WHAT CAUSED THE INCIDENT OR WHETHER OR NOT THE ISSUE IS A MORE SERIOUS/SYSTEMIC PROBLEM WITH THE VEHICLE OR TESLA QUALITY CONTROL. CONSEQUENTLY, MY WIFE IS CONCERNED FOR THE WELL BEING OF THE OTHER MOTHERS/FAMILIES SHE ROUTINELY SEE’S DRIVING THE MODEL X IN AND AROUND OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. SHOULD A WHEEL DISENGAGE FROM THE CAR AT A HIGH SPEED, THE OUTCOME IS LIKELY TO BE MUCH DIFFERENT AND MUCH LESS FAVORABLE.

COMPLAINTS: Displaying 1 - 5 out of 48
Date Complaint Filed: 01/27/2017Date of Incident: 01/27/2017Component(s): SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10947973Consumer Location: SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCBE29GF…
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2016 TESLA MODEL X. WHILE DRIVING INTO THE GARAGE, THE REAR DRIVER SIDE WHEEL DETACHED FROM THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT DIAGNOSED OR REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 1,118.

January 14, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10945288
Components: SUSPENSION, WHEELS, STRUCTURE
NHTSA ID Number: 10945288

Incident Date January 11, 2017

Consumer Location FREMONT, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1BC5DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0
MY CAR WENT OVER A POTHOLE ON 101 S JUST SHORT OF WOODSIDE RD. EXIT. I HEARD A LOUD THUD AND MY CAR WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND VEERED INTO THE LANES NEXT TO ME AS I TRIED TO CONTROL IT. AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO STOP IT, IT FINALLY CAME TO A STOP. THE REAR, RIGHT TIRE BURST AND THE WHEEL IMPACTED BADLY. REAR SUSPENSION BROKEN AND THE ‘QUARTER AND ROCKER PANEL’ BROKEN.

1 Associated Product

August 7, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11013497
Components: SUSPENSION
NHTSA ID Number: 11013497

Incident Date August 5, 2017

Consumer Location COTO DE CAZA, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1V4XFF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

FRONT LEFT CONTROL ARM SUFFERED A FAILURE CAUSING IT TO BREAK LOOSE FROM THE BALL JOINT AND CAUSING THE WHEEL TO PUSH BACK INTO THE BODY OF THE CAR. THE FAILURE CAUSED THE CAR TO LIFT UP AND COME TO A DEAD STOP. THIS WAS AT ~5MPH AFTER AFTER BACKING OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY OF OUR HOUSE ON A RESIDENTIAL PAVED STREET AND STARTING TO DRIVE FORWARD. THERE WERE NO NOISES OR WARNINGS UNTIL THE FAILURE OF THE CONTROL ARE OCCURRED. THE PHOTO OF THE WHEEL SHOWS IT PUSHED BACK ALL THE WAY TO MAKE FRAME CONTACT. THE OTHER PHOTOS SHOW THE CONTROL ARM COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED FROM ITS MOUNTING POINT. THERE WAS SOME DAMAGE TO THE WHEEL WELL LINER AND LIP OF THE FENDER THANKS TO THE SLOW SPEED THAT IT OCCURRED. THE CAR HAD TO BE DRIVEN BACKWARDS ONTO A FLATBED TRAILER AND THEN DOLLY’S PUT UNDER THE FRONT WHEELS IN ORDER TO GET THE CAR TO ROLL FORWARD INTO THE REPAIR SHOP. IT COULD NOT BE DRIVEN FORWARD AT ALL. THIS FAILURE IS VERY CONCERNING AND HAD IT OCCURRED AT HIGH SPEED COULD HAVE RESULTED IN INJURY.

So WHY no recall?
What is going on at NHTSA???

they have qualified engineers not keyboard warriors :kissing_heart:

I think their expertise lies in another area - http://jalopnik.com/scathing-audit-reveals-nhtsa-is-a-five-star-government-1713128651

And we haven’t even gotten to the fact that NHTSA knew that GM’s ignition switches were causing deaths, even before the bodies began to really pile up. Or that NHTSA’s self-designed self-reporting system almost seems as if it was purposely constructed so as to allow under-reporting to actually occur. Or how once this report fades from memory, the regulatory environment will still resemble the wild west more than the governmental body responsible for keeping people alive.

The audit report gives 17 recommendations for fixing NHTSA, including bringing in proper statistical analysis, implementing a real supervisory review process, and actually training people.

I only have one.

Get rid of everybody, burn it all down, and start again from the top.

Oh. Sounds like you need to file a report…

Right!
M’kay.
Whatever.

August 22, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11018928
Components: WHEELS
NHTSA ID Number: 11018928

Incident Date August 19, 2017

Consumer Location IRVINE, CA

Vehicle Identification Number N/A

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0
OUR 2016 TESLA MODEL S DROPPED THE LEFT REAR WHEEL COMPLETELY WHILE MY WIFE WAS DRIVING ON FREEWAY 5 NORTH BOUND LAST SATURDAY NIGHT (08/19/2017) IN SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO AREA, RIGHT BEFORE EXIT 81. THE ROAD IS SMOOTH AND WITHOUT BUMP OR SHARP TURN. ALL OTHER CARS WAS ABLE TO RUN BY NORMALLY.

THE RIGHT REAR WHEEL ALSO LOST A LOCKING NUT.

THE ACCIDENT WAS VERY DANGEROUS, VERY SCARY!

WE JUST HAD A ROUTINE SERVICE AT TESLA SERVICE CENTER THIS JUNE.

1 Associated Product

October 4, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11031733
Components: SUSPENSION
NHTSA ID Number: 11031733

Incident Date August 14, 2017

Consumer Location ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CP4DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0
I MADE A LEFT TURN ON KELLOGG DRIVE.I RAN OVER SOME SAFETY DOTS ON THE FLOOR. THE SAFETY DOTS WAS ABNORMAL LARGE IN SIZE. BOTH MY FRONT AND REAR WHEEL RAN OVER MANY LARGE SAFETY DOTS. THE COMPLETE TESLA BRAKE FUNCTION FAILED AND I HAVE NO BRAKE. BY THE TIME MY CAR STOPS I WAS LITERALLY SITTING ON TOP OF SAFETY DOTS. ONCE I COME OUT OF THE CAR I SAW THAT MY LEFT REAR TIRE AND RIMS LOOK LIKE IS FALLING OUT OF PLACE. THE POLICE CAMPUS CAME AND SAID IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR AXEL WAS BROKEN. THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO THE OUTER APPEARANCE OF MY TESLA ONLY A UPPER SUSPENSION WHICH WAS DAMAGE. I BELIEVE THE PARTS WAS AN INTEGRITY ISSUE AND TESLA DENIES IT.

Total number of suspension complaints now over 300