Suspension failures....the case for a recall

Let’s start with the OWNERS complaints:

November 17, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11152089
Components: STEERING, SUSPENSION](https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/TESLA/MODEL%2520S%252060KWH/5%2520HB/RWD#complaints440)

NHTSA ID Number: 11152089

Incident Date November 16, 2018

Consumer Location SAN CLEMENTE, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E24FF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

I WAS DRIVING MY TESLA MODEL S SLOWLY ON A BUSY DOWNTOWN STREET LINED WITH PARKING SPACES. SPEED WAS LESS THAN 25 MILES PER HOUR. I BRAKED TO ALLOW A CAR TO PULL OUT OF A PARKING SPOT AND MY CAR MADE A LOUD NOISE. I TRIED TO CONTINUE DRIVING BUT THE NOISE CONTINUED SO I PULLED INTO THE PARKING SPOT THAT HAD BEEN VACATED BY THE OTHER DRIVER TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED. THERE WAS WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID LEAKING FROM THE FRONT WHEEL WELL AND A VISIBLY BROKEN CONTROL ARM AT THE FRONT LEFT WHEEL. I THINK THAT IS WHAT THE PART IS CALLED BUT I AM NOT CERTAIN. THERE IS A PICTURE OF THE BROKEN PART ATTACHED. THE WHEEL WELL WAS DAMAGED AND THE TRIM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR WAS LOOSE. THERE APPEARS TO BE NO CAUSE FOR THIS FAILURE AS THERE WAS NOTHING IN THE ROAD, NO POT HOLES, NO OBJECTS, NO BUMPS. THE CAR WAS DRIVING FINE BEFORE THIS OCCURRED. THE FAILURE OCCURRED ABOUT 3 MINUTES AFTER I STARTED THE TRIP. SPEED WAS LOW THE ENTIRE TRIP AS I WAS LEAVING A RESTAURANT IN A DOWNTOWN AREA FULL OF PEDESTRIANS, STOP SIGNS AND PARKING SPACES. THE CAR WAS NOT DRIVE-ABLE FOLLOWING THIS FAILURE SINCE THE FRONT WHEEL WAS NO LONGER SUPPORTED. TESLA SENT A TOW TRUCK TO TAKE THE CAR TO THEIR NEAREST SERVICE CENTER.

FOLLOW UP POST BY OWNER:

NHTSA ID Number: 11074328

Incident Date December 30, 2017

Consumer Location BERKELEY, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H24EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

THE LEFT FRONT FORE LINK BALL JOINT SNAPPED LIKE GLASS DURING NORMAL DRIVING. LUCKILY I WAS GOING AT RELATIVELY LOW SPEED ON A SIDE STREET. THIS ALLOWED THE SUSPENSION TO ALLOW THE WHEEL TO SLAM INTO THE FIREWALL AND IT LOCKED UP CAUSING THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE VEHICLE TO HIT A CURB. AS AN ENGINEER THIS SCARES THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME, AS IF IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED ON A HIGH SPEED HIGHWAY TURN, THE RESULTS COULD HAVE BEEN DEADLY. EVEN WITHOUT AN UNDERSTANDING OF ADVANCED METALLURGY, IT’S CLEAR THAT A HARDENED STEEL BALL JOINT SHOULD BE STRONGER THEN THE SURROUNDING ALUMINUM ALLOY PARTS ON EITHER SIDE THAT IT ATTACHES TO. IT LOOKS LIKE A GLASS ROD HIT WITH A HAMMER. THIS SAME THING HAPPENED TO ANOTHER 2014 IN OUR FAMILY ABOUT A YEAR AGO, AND I CHALKED IT UP TO RANDOM FAILURE. BUT NOW 2 FAILURES?

I HAVE THE ORIGINAL FAILED PART IF NEEDED FOR ANALYSIS. THE REPLACEMENT PART I OBTAINED THROUGH TESLA HAS BEEN RE-ENGINEERED, AND APPEARS TO BE FROM A DIFFERENT SUPPLIER. I WENT AHEAD AND REPLACED BOTH SIDES, AND I STILL HAVE THE NON-FAILED PART ON THE LEFT SIDE.

I ATTEMPTED TO CONTACT TESLA ABOUT THIS, AND THEY HAVE NOT RESPONDED TO ME.

Duplicate complaint removed.

June 17, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10874898
Components: WHEELS, POWER TRAIN, SUSPENSION

NHTSA ID Number: 10874898

Incident Date April 4, 2016

Consumer Location HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1S14EF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHYes

FIRENo

INJURIES1

DEATHS0

I WAS DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY GOING APPROXIMATELY 60MPH WHEN I SUDDENLY LOST CONTROL ON A SLIGHT TURN TO TRANSFER FREEWAYS. I SWIPED INTO THE RIGHT FREEWAY WALL AND SPUN OUT DOING A COMPLETE 180 AND ENDED UP ON THE LEFT FREEWAY WALL. I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND HOW I LOST CONTROL WHEN I WAS NOT GOING THAT FAST, AND THE TURN WAS NOT AT ALL ABRUPT NOR SEVERE IN ANGLE. THE SIDE AIRBAGS WERE DEPLOYED, AND WHEN I EXITED THE VEHICLE, THE REAR RIGHT TIRE AND AXLE WAS COMPLETELY DISLODGED. I NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT, AND I COULDN’T UNDERSTAND HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN.

Components: SUSPENSION

NHTSA ID Number: 11075754

Incident Date February 23, 2018

Consumer Location WESTON, FL

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1V40FF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

BROKEN FRONT SUSPENSION FORE LINK

I NOTICED A CLUNKING SOUND AT SLOW SPEED WHEN GOING OVER SMALL BUMPS, SO I STAYED OFF THE EXPRESSWAY AND SLOWLY DROVE HOME ON LOCAL ROADS.

AFTER ARRIVING HOME, I BACKED UP WHILE TURNING THE WHEELS TO THE RIGHT AND THE CAR ABRUPTLY STOPPED AS THE BACK OF THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL JAMMED SOLID AGAINST THE INSIDE WHEEL WELL LINING.

THE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL WAS AN INCH OR TWO BACK FROM WHERE IT SHOULD BE. I LOOKED UNDER FROM THE FRONT BUMPER AND SAW THAT I HAD A CRACKED FORE LINK AND A PIECE OF THE FORE LINK WAS LAYING IN MY DRIVEWAY. I STILL HAVE THAT BROKEN PIECE.

TESLA SENT A FLAT BED TRUCK TO GET THE CAR AND REPLACED THE FORE LINK.

THIS FAILURE SURE LOOKS LIKE IT COULD CAUSE A SERIOUS ACCIDENT. I FEEL VERY LUCKY THIS DIDN’T BREAK AT HIGH SPEED ON THE EXPRESSWAY IN TRAFFIC OR ON A JUG HANDLE.

THE ATTACHED PHOTOS SHOW THE FORE LINK BEFORE AND AFTER REPLACEMENT.

August 7, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11013497

NHTSA ID Number: 11013497

Incident Date August 5, 2017

Consumer Location COTO DE CAZA, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1V4XFF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

FRONT LEFT CONTROL ARM SUFFERED A FAILURE CAUSING IT TO BREAK LOOSE FROM THE BALL JOINT AND CAUSING THE WHEEL TO PUSH BACK INTO THE BODY OF THE CAR. THE FAILURE CAUSED THE CAR TO LIFT UP AND COME TO A DEAD STOP. THIS WAS AT ~5MPH AFTER AFTER BACKING OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY OF OUR HOUSE ON A RESIDENTIAL PAVED STREET AND STARTING TO DRIVE FORWARD. THERE WERE NO NOISES OR WARNINGS UNTIL THE FAILURE OF THE CONTROL ARE OCCURRED. THE PHOTO OF THE WHEEL SHOWS IT PUSHED BACK ALL THE WAY TO MAKE FRAME CONTACT. THE OTHER PHOTOS SHOW THE CONTROL ARM COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED FROM ITS MOUNTING POINT. THERE WAS SOME DAMAGE TO THE WHEEL WELL LINER AND LIP OF THE FENDER THANKS TO THE SLOW SPEED THAT IT OCCURRED. THE CAR HAD TO BE DRIVEN BACKWARDS ONTO A FLATBED TRAILER AND THEN DOLLY’S PUT UNDER THE FRONT WHEELS IN ORDER TO GET THE CAR TO ROLL FORWARD INTO THE REPAIR SHOP. IT COULD NOT BE DRIVEN FORWARD AT ALL. THIS FAILURE IS VERY CONCERNING AND HAD IT OCCURRED AT HIGH SPEED COULD HAVE RESULTED IN INJURY.

August 5, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11013046

NHTSA ID Number: 11013046

Incident Date August 4, 2017

Consumer Location LA JOLLA, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E40FF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

WHILE STOPPING QUICKLY ON THE FREEWAY, A TERRIBLE SOUND EMANATED FROM THE LEFT FRONT WHEEL. I PULLED OFF THE FREEWAY THINKING SOMETHING WAS CAUGHT ON THE WHEEL/TIRE TO FIND THE BACK OF THE LF WHEEL WELL COVER LIFTED UP AND PRESSING AGAINST THE TIRE.

ONCE ROADSIDE GOT THERE, THE TECH SHOWED ME HOW THE “A ARM” HAD SPLIT AND COME OFF OF THE BALL JOINT AND DROPPED DOWN AND WAS INTERFERING WITH THE WHEEL.

SERVICE SAYS “MORE THAN LIKELY THE FORELINKS WERE NOT APPROPRIATELY TORQUED, SO WHILE DRIVE (SIC) THEY BECAME LOOSE AND CRACKED”

THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A SERIOUS ACCIDENT IF THE A ARM HAD COME LOOSE AT SPEED. WHAT CAUSED THIS?

October 9, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10914970
Components: SUSPENSION, WHEELS

NHTSA ID Number: 10914970

Incident Date October 5, 2016

Consumer Location SEATTLE, WA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1H25FF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

I WAS DRIVING MY CAR TO WORK AND ACCIDENTALLY SCRAPED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL ON A CURB NEAR A ROUNDABOUT ON AN OLD/NARROW SEATTLE STREET (THERE WAS ONCOMING TRAFFIC AND PARKED CARS SO I HAD VERY LITTLE ROOM ON MY RIGHT AND MIS-JUDGED). THE PAINT ON THE WHEEL WAS PRETTY BADLY SCRAPED UP BUT OTHERWISE THE CAR WAS FINE (NO BODY DAMAGE) AND THE WHEEL HAD NO VISUAL STRUCTURAL DAMAGE (THE CAR’S ALIGNMENT WAS NOT AFFECTED). I CONTINUED DRIVING TO WORK WITHOUT ISSUE, INCLUDING 5-6 MILES ON THE HIGHWAY AT 60MPH. WHEN PARKING IN THE UNDERGROUND GARAGE AT MY OFFICE 20 MINUTES AFTER THE CURB INCIDENT, I TURNED THE WHEEL TO THE LEFT TO ADJUST MY CAR IN THE PARKING SPOT AND HEARD/FELT A RUBBING SOUND, FOLLOWED BY A LOUD CLUNK. THE FRONT RIGHT OF THE CAR DROPPED AND THE WHEEL FELL OFF THE SUSPENSION AND WAS WEDGED UNDER THE FRONT OF THE CAR. THE CAR WAS DISABLED AND HAD TO BE TOWED TO TESLA.

GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF FORCE APPLIED TO THE WHEEL BY THE CURB AND THE LACK OF OTHER SYMPTOMS, IT SEEMS UNLIKELY THAT ANY NORMAL, STOCK SUSPENSION SHOULD FAIL AS IT DID WITH THIS CAR. IT APPEARS A BOLT ON THE LOWER CONTROL ARM SHEARED OFF COMPLETELY WHEN I WAS PARKING (AND HAD PROBABLY BEEN FATIGUED BY THE CURBING INCIDENT).

August 26, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10898994

NHTSA ID Number: 10898994

Incident Date August 5, 2016

Consumer Location ALAMO, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E23FF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

MY TESLA MODEL S - 2015 - HAD THE LEFT FRONT SUSPENSION MALFUNCTION. TESLA CLAIMS IT WAS DAMAGED - ALTHOUGH THE CAR HAS ONLY BEEN DRIVEN 12000 MILES - AND ONLY ON CITY STREETS AND HIGHWAYS. THERE HAS BEEN NO OFF ROADING AND HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS. THE CAR WAS LEFT UNABLE TO BE DRIVEN.

THE TESLA DEALER REFUSES TO DISCUSS THE MATTER - SIMPLY SAYING THAT THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND INSISTING I FILE AN INSURANCE CLAIM. I HAVE ASKED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR - AND CAN NOT GET A REPLY FROM THEM. I HAVE CALLED TESLA HEAD OFFICE - AND THEY REFERRED ME BACK TO THE LOCAL DEAL - AND ASSURED ME THEY WOULD FOLLOW UP AND THEY HAVE NOT.

FURTHER MORE - THE REPLACEMENT PARTS HAVE BEEN ON ORDER AND ARE TAKING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF TIME.

I AM CONCERNED - AFTER RESEARCHING THIS - THAT THE TESLA AIR SUSPENSION MAY BE FAULTY - AND MY IN FACT BE HAZARDOUS WHEN DRIVING.

June 28, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10877039

NHTSA ID Number: 10877039

Incident Date May 6, 2016

Consumer Location DANVILLE, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1S18FF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

I WAS DRIVING THE 2015 TESLA MODEL S , WEST BOUND ON I-80 APPROACHING THE BAY BRIDGE IN SAN FRANCISCO FROM OAKLAND , I HEARD S TRANCE SQUEAKY NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR OF MY CAR & I PULLED OVER THAT SAW THE LEFT REAR TIRE & WHEEL LOOKED TILTED , IT APPEARED THE WHEELS & SUSPENSION OF THE CAR HAD FAILED SUSPENSION FAILED . I CALLED TESLA ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AT 2:30 PM ASKING FOR HELP , THE ANSWERING SERVICE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HELP THE TESLA WAS ARGUING WITH ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THIS ISSUE MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY AND I MAY NEED TO PAY FOR THE TOWING COST & REPAIR COST. THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME IN ANYWAY TO BRING THE CAR TO THEIR SERVICE . I CALLED A TOWING SERVICE & HAD THE CAR TOWED AT MY OWN EXPENSE AFTER THE LONG NEVER ENDING WAITING & TERRIBLE TRAFFIC OF FRIDAY AFTERNOON . I GOT THE CAR TOWED TO THE TESLA SERVICE IN DUBLIN CALIFORNIA . THEY TOOK MY CAR IN FRIDAY EVENING. THE NEXT MONDAY THEY CALLED AND SAID THE LEFT REAR AXLE & WHEEL ARE BROKEN . THE COST TO REPAIR $13,000. THEY DENIED THAT THIS IS WARRANTY ISSUE . MY INSURANCE PAID FOR THIS OUTRAGEOUS REPAIR COST . IT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR THEM TO FIX THE AXLE & THE WHEEL . I AM NOT CONFIDENT THAT THIS CAR IS SAFE TO DRIVE . THE TESLA COSTUMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE , THEY ARE UNHELPFUL , CHEAP & LEAVE THE COSTUMER HIGH & DRY IN A CRISIS . THEY DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CAR PARTS FAILURE & WARRANTY ISSUES . I HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED BROKEN WHEELS OR AXLES IN MY 20 YEARS OF DRIVING .

August 23, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11121921

NHTSA ID Number: 11121921

Incident Date August 20, 2018

Consumer Location WESTFORD, MA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E28GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2016 TESLA MODEL S. WHILE DRIVING APPROXIMATELY 5 MPH, THE FRONT DRIVER SIDE WHEEL SEIZED AND THE VEHICLE CAME TO AN IMMEDIATE STOP. THE FAILURE OCCURRED WITHOUT WARNING. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO TESLA SERVICE CENTER (457 PLEASANT ST, WATERTOWN, MA) WHERE IT WAS DIAGNOSED THAT THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE LINK ASSEMBLIES WERE DEFECTIVE AND NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. THE VEHICLE WAS REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS APPROXIMATELY 42,000. THE VIN WAS NOT PROVIDED. **TR

UPDATED 10/31/18*JB

August 16, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11120467

NHTSA ID Number: 11120467

Incident Date August 14, 2018

Consumer Location BARRINGTON, IL

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E26GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

CRACKED FRONT SUSPENSION - LOWER FORE ARM - DRIVERS SIDE, CRACKED AT THE BALL JOINT INTERFACE RESULTING IN THE BALL JOINT SEPARATING FROM THE CONTROL ARM. THIS VEHICLE HAS 23,140 MILES AND HAS ONLY BEEN DRIVEN ON PAVED ROADS IN THE MIDWEST US. NO OFF ROAD OR ROUGH SERVICE. FAILURE HAPPENED WHILE BACKING OUT OF A PARKING SPACE. WITHIN 5 FEET A LOUD SNAP WAS HEARD THEN RUBBING LIKE THE TIRE WAS HITTING THE WHEEL WELL. STOPPED THE CAR AND FOUND THE DRIVERS SIDE LOWER BALL JOINT SEPARATED AT THE LOWER FORE ARM. LOWER FORE ARM WAS CRACKED. TESLA TOWED THE VEHICLE TO SERVICE CENTER AND REPLACE FORE LINK ASSY, LH (1041570-00B). ORIGINAL DAMAGE TO PART APPEARED TO BE A CRACK IN THE PART WITH LOWER FORE ARM INTERFACE HOLE TO THE BALL JOINT STILL ROUND IN SHAPE. PICTURE ATTACHED SHOW MORE DAMAGE DUE TO MOVING THE VEHICLE FOR TOWING AND REPAIR.

July 12, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11110981

NHTSA ID Number: 11110981

Incident Date July 10, 2018

Consumer Location GLEN MILLS, PA

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

TESLA MODEL S 2016, VEHICLE IS MAKING A GRINDING NOISE FROM THE LEFT SIDE AND THAT THE WHEEL APPEARS TO BE TOO CLOSE TO THE WHEEL WELL. A NOISE STARTED 2-3 DAYS AGO WHEN THE WE TRY TO TURN THE STEERING WHEEL TO TAKE A SHARP LEFT OR RIGHT TURN. THE FRONT SUSPENSION LINK ON THE DRIVER SIDE WHEEL BROKE WHILE PARKING THE CAR.

GOT THE CAR TOWED TO TESLA SERVICE AND THEY FIXED IT 1 DAY LATER.

CORRECTIONS: LINK - FRONT SUSPENSION - LOWER - FORE - LH

REPLACED THE LEFT FORE LINK TO SPECIFICATION. VERIFIED PROPER OPERATION.

PARTS REPLACED BY TESLA -

FORE LINK ASSY, LH (1041570-00-B)

1WASHER, NORDLOCK, 15.2X30.7X3.4 (1033093-00-A)

1NUT HF M14X1.50 [10] ZNNI NL INSERT (1004358-00-C)

1BOLT H CAM M14X2.00X114 [10.9]-G720 (2007108)

1WASHER CAM M14X38X6X2.5 [10]-G720 (2007115)

1NUT CLN HEX M14X2.0 [10] ZNAL-W (1006484-00-A)1

May 30, 2018 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11098746

NHTSA ID Number: 11098746

Incident Date January 23, 2018

Consumer Location RANCHO MURIETA, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E29GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

BELOW IS A COPY OF AN EMAIL I SENT TO TESLA ON APRIL 30,2018. I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE A RESPONSE. PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION.

ON JANUARY 23, 2018 I HAD AN INCIDENT WITH MY TESLA WHERE I HIT A SMALL POTHOLE (11” WIDE BY 18” LONG AND 2” DEEP) AT A MODERATE SPEED OF ABOUT 40MPH. (I HAVE PICTURES OF THE ROAD THE POTHOLE IN QUESTION.) I LOST SOME CONTROL OF MY CAR SWERVING INTO THE ONCOMING LANE FROM THE IMPACT, BUT MANAGED TO PULL OVER ABOUT A COUPLE OF HUNDRED YARDS AFTER THAT WITH NO FURTHER INCIDENT. I THOUGHT I HAD BLOWN A TIRE SINCE I HAVE LOW PROFILE TIRES ON THE LARGER RIMS ONLY TO FIND THE TIRE WAS STILL INFLATED. HOWEVER THE WHEEL WAS OFF CAMBER AND I NOTICED THAT IT HAD DAMAGED SOME OF THE WHEEL WELL ON FURTHER INSPECTION.I EVENTUALLY GOT EVERYTHING FIXED (ABOUT FOUR WEEKS LATER) AND THE BILL WAS $4200.00 WHICH I PAID. HOWEVER, AFTER MUCH THOUGHT AND CONSIDERATION, I BELIEVE THE CONTROL ARM IS OF A FAULTY DESIGN AND THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED BY TESLA. IN FACT, I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE CONTROL ARM WHILE IT WAS ON THE CAR AND I AM IN POSSESSION OF IT AND ALL THE DAMAGED PARTS. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT MY TESLA SHOULD HAVE SUFFERED SO MUCH DAMAGE FOR A RELATIVELY SMALL POTHOLE AND BELIEVE THE HEAVY LITHIUM BATTERY COUPLED WITH THE IMPROPERLY ENGINEERED CONTROL ARM CAUSED THE PROBLEM. I ALSO NOTE MINE IS NOT THE ONLY COMPLAINT OF THIS NATURE AS I HAVE SEEN OTHER COMPLAINTS IN ONLINE BLOGS AND FEEL THAT THIS MAY BE A SYSTEMIC PROBLEM WITH TESLA’S CONTROL ARMS. IT IS ALSO IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT I PURCHASED THE TESLA FOR MANY REASONS, BUT ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS WAS ITS SAFETY RECORD AND RATINGS BY THE NHTSA WHO I HAVE COPIED ON THIS EMAIL. AFTER LOSING MOMENTARY CONTROL FROM HITTING SUCH A SMALL POTHOLE WHICH PUT ME INTO THE ONCOMING LANE, (I WAS LUCKY THERE WAS NOT ONCOMING TRAFFIC) I DO NOT HAVE THE CONFIDENCE IN THE CAR THAT I ONCE DID.

December 18, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10936088
Components: WHEELS, SUSPENSION

NHTSA ID Number: 10936088

Incident Date December 18, 2016

Consumer Location BRONXVILLE, NY

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E2XGF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

LEFT WHEEL FELL OFF FROM WHAT APPEARS TO BE A BROKEN BOLT CONTROLLING LOWER CONTROL ARM. THE CAR WAS BACKING INTO A DRIVEWAY AT LOW SPEEDS WITH A SUDDEN THUD. THE LEFT FRONT WAS RESTING ON THE TIRE WITH THE TIRE TURNED AT 90 DEGREES. THE LOWER CONTROL ARM WAS NO LONGER ATTACHED WITH THE BOLT BROKEN. SEE PICTURES.

November 3, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10924050

NHTSA ID Number: 10924050

Incident Date October 10, 2016

Consumer Location SAINT LOUIS, MO

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

BALL JOINT EQUIVALENT FRACTURED WHILE PULLING OUT OF GARAGE. FRONT END FELL, NEARLY BRINGING TIRE INTO CONTACT WITH WHEEL WELL.

June 21, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10875120

NHTSA ID Number: 10875120

Incident Date June 1, 2016

Consumer Location SAN JOSE, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1E24GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

2016 TESLA MODEL S. CONSUMER WRITES IN REGARDS TO VEHICLE SUSPENSION/ FRONT WHEEL CONTROL ARM ISSUES. *SMD

THE CONSUMER STATED THE CONTROL ARM BROKE, WHEN HE ATTEMPTED TO BACK OUT OF HIS GARAGE. *JB

1 Affected Product

April 4, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10970607
Components: SUSPENSION, UNKNOWN OR OTHER

NHTSA ID Number: 10970607

Incident Date April 1, 2017

Consumer Location YORKTOWN HEIGHTS, NY

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJXCAE43GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

I WAS DRIVING MY MODEL X P90D ON A LOCAL STREET 2 DAYS AGO. WHEN I MADE A V-SHAPED RIGHT TURN AT THE SLOW SPEED OF 5 TO 10 MI/H, I HIT A VERY SMALL POTHOLE AND HEARD A BANG. THERE WAS NO VIBRATION AT ALL, SO I DIDN’T PAY ATTENTION AT THE TIME.

THE CAR WAS DRIVING PERFECTLY NORMAL FOR THE REST OF THAT DAY. I DROVE ANOTHER 40 MILES OR SO, INCLUDING 20 MILES ON THE HIGHWAY WITH 60+ MI/H SPEED.

THE ISSUE CAME UP THE NEXT DAY WHEN I WAS PULLING MY CAR OUT OF THE GARAGE. I HEARD ANOTHER BANG WHEN THE CAR WAS BACKING, AND MY STEERING BECAME STIFF. THE CAR WOULDN’T MOVE ANYMORE. THEN THE “SUSPENSION NEEDS SERVICE” WARNING CAME OUT THE INSTRUMENT PANEL. I CAME OUT AND CHECK THE CAR, FOUND OUT THAT THE ENTIRE FRONT WHEEL SNAPPED OFF!

I’M GLAD THAT IT ONLY HAPPENED TO ME AT MY GARAGE BUT NOT ON THE HIGHWAY.

January 27, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10947973
Components: WHEELS, SUSPENSION

NHTSA ID Number: 10947973

Incident Date January 27, 2017

Consumer Location SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJXCBE29GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2016 TESLA MODEL X. WHILE DRIVING INTO THE GARAGE, THE REAR DRIVER SIDE WHEEL DETACHED FROM THE VEHICLE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT DIAGNOSED OR REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS MADE AWARE OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 1,118.

January 17, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10945692

NHTSA ID Number: 10945692

Incident Date January 2, 2017

Consumer Location RANCHO SANTA FE, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJXCAE20GF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

WHILE DRIVING ON THE SECOND FLOOR OF A PARKING GARAGE AT THE LOCAL MALL WITH THE ENTIRE FAMILY IN THE MODEL X (2 ADULTS & 3 KIDS) TO SEE A FAMILY MOVIE, THE REAR DRIVER SIDE WHEEL “FELL-OFF” (SEE ATTACHED PHOTO’S).

IT APPEARS AS THOUGH THE CONTROL ARM DISENGAGED FROM THE CHASSIS OF THE CAR VIS-A-VIS A MISSING BOLT OR PIN. THE VEHICLE IS BRAND-NEW (I.E., LESS THAN 1,000 MI), PURCHASED DIRECTLY FROM TESLA, IS DRIVEN BY A MOTHER OF THREE, AND IS ACCIDENT FREE. THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN SUBJECT TO ANY EXTREME WEAR AND TEAR OR OFF-ROAD DRIVING CONDITIONS.

TESLA SERVICE MANAGER IS FAMILIAR WITH VEHICLE AS IT HAS BEEN RECENTLY SERVICED FOR DOOR/WINDOW ISSUES - NO FRAME OR WHEEL ISSUES PRIOR TO THE INCIDENT.

THE VEHICLE WAS IN MOTION, HOWEVER AS MENTIONED, WE WERE DRIVING IN A CROWDED PARKING GARAGE DURING HOLIDAY SEASON.

TESLA ROAD-SIDE SERVICE WAS EXTREMELY HELPFUL AND ARRANGED TO HAVE THE CAR TOWED TO THE LOCAL SERVICE CENTER - THE CAR WAS OBVIOUSLY NOT DRIVABLE. TOW TRUCK DRIVER HAD MENTIONED HE HAD NEVER WITNESSED ANYTHING LIKE WHAT HE HAD SEEN WITH OUR VEHICLE. MOREOVER, HE DID EXPRESS TO US THAT WE WERE VERY LUCKY THAT THE WHEEL HADN’T DISENGAGED FROM THE VEHICLE WHILE WE WERE DRIVING AT A HIGH SPEED (E.G., ON THE HIGHWAY).

THE MODEL X HAS BEEN AT THE TESLA SERVICE CENTER FOR CLOSE TO 3 WEEKS AND DESPITE OUR INQUIRIES, WE HAVE NOT BEEN EXPRESSLY TOLD WHAT CAUSED THE INCIDENT OR WHETHER OR NOT THE ISSUE IS A MORE SERIOUS/SYSTEMIC PROBLEM WITH THE VEHICLE OR TESLA QUALITY CONTROL. CONSEQUENTLY, MY WIFE IS CONCERNED FOR THE WELL BEING OF THE OTHER MOTHERS/FAMILIES SHE ROUTINELY SEE’S DRIVING THE MODEL X IN AND AROUND OUR NEIGHBORHOOD. SHOULD A WHEEL DISENGAGE FROM THE CAR AT A HIGH SPEED, THE OUTCOME IS LIKELY TO BE MUCH DIFFERENT AND MUCH LESS FAVORABLE. *TR

1 Affected Product