Incident Date January 29, 2018

Consumer Location Unknown

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSB7E22HF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

ON MONDAY MORNING(29.01.18) MY TESLA BROKE DOWN. THE DRIVER’S SIDE REAR TYRE DISLODGED FROM THE SUSPENSION WHILE I WAS REVERSING INTO MY BAY.

THE ISSUES BEGAN FROM THIS POINT

1 AT ONLY 4526 MILES AND 122 DAYS OF AGE, ENDING UP WITH 3 WHEELS IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE.

2 THEN ENSUED THE CONFUSION: I HAD TAKEN BREAKDOWN COVER FROM MY INSURANCE COMPANY INCLUSIVE OF COURTESY CAR. THIS WAS DESPITE THE SALES PITCH RECOMMENDING TESLA ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE. THE MOMENT I CALLED TESLA IT WAS A CASE OF FIGHTING WITH THEM REGARDING WHOSE FAULT IT WAS RATHER THAN WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. I DIDN’T FEEL SUPPORTED AT ALL. TESLA SERVICE AND ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE WERE CONFIDENT THAT THIS WAS A CASE FOR THE INSURERS

3 SO I CALLED MY INSURANCE COMPANY . THEY QUICKLY PICKED UP THE CAR AND HAVE DELIVERED THE SAME TOTESLA MANCHESTER SOUTH, WHERE I HAD PURCHASED IT. WITH A PARTING SHOT THAT IF THIS RECURS IN THE NEXT 28 DAYS THEY WILL NOT HELP.

4 HENCE AS I AM SURE YOU WILL UNDERSTAND, I HAVE BEEN LEFT BY TESLA ON THE WAYSIDE, QUITE LITERALLY AND FIGURATIVELY. I AM FORTUITOUS TO BE IN ONE PIECE, WRITING THIS MESSAGE TO YOU. THINGS COULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE…

I DRIVE 25 MILES DAILY EACH WAY TO WORK AND BACK. AND MOSTLY THIS IS ON THE MOTORWAY.

5 NOW WHERE DID WE GO WRONG?

THUS COULD POTENTIALLY BE A MANUFACTURING DESIGN ISSUE

BUT MY CONFIDENCE IN TESLA HAS TAKEN A BEATING.

MY MAIN CONCERN AT THE MOMENT IS: AM I FEELING SAFE IN THIS VEHICLE? THE ANSWER IS NO.

July 18, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10885723
Components: SUSPENSION, STEERING

NHTSA ID Number: 10885723

Incident Date July 18, 2016

Consumer Location SAN DIEGO, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1DP3CF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

NOTICED THIS PROBLEM AFTER I WAS BACKING UP AND TURNING MY WHEELS AND WOULD HEAR A LOUD METAL ON METAL “CLUNK” OR “GRINDING” SOUND. IT WAS COMING FROM THE FRONT-LEFT SUSPENSION AND WOULD OCCUR CAUSING MY WHEEL AND STEERING TO FEEL LIKE IT WAS SKIPPING.

I NOTICED AND MY STEERING FELT “LOOSE” OVER BUMPS AND WOULD PULL TO THE LEFT. AGAIN THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION AND THIS WAS FELT THE MOST WHEN TURNING FULL MOTION AND/OR BACKING UP AND TURNING.

WHEN LOOKING AT ONE OF THE CONTROL-ARM JOINTS AFTER I NOTICED A VERY LOUD CLUNK AND COMPARING IT TO THE OTHER SIDE OF OF THE SUSPENSION, IT LOOKS LIKE EITHER A BOLT FELL OUT OR THE BALL-JOINT TO THE CONTROL ARM WAS JUST GRINDING FREELY.

I’VE SINCE BROUGHT MY CAR TO TESLA AND THEY HAVE CONFIRMED THAT I HAVE A DEFECTIVE BALL-JOINT TO MY CONTROL ARM THATS ALSO DAMAGED MY STEERING KNUCKLE. IF I DIDNT CATCH THIS OR IT WAS BROKE AT GREATER SPEEDS WHATS THE LIKELY HOOD OF ME LOOSING CONTROL?

I’VE ASKED IF THEY WILL REPLACE ALL THE OTHER PARTS IF THEY HAVE UPDATED PARTS BUT THEY SAID ONLY THE ITEMS THAT ARE DEFECTIVE IN THIS CASE WILL BE WARRANTIED.

I SIMPLY DO NOT FEEL SAFE ANYMORE DRIVING THIS VEHICLE.

1 Affected Product

October 4, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 11031733
Components: SUSPENSION

NHTSA ID Number: 11031733

Incident Date August 14, 2017

Consumer Location ROWLAND HEIGHTS, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CP4DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

I MADE A LEFT TURN ON KELLOGG DRIVE.I RAN OVER SOME SAFETY DOTS ON THE FLOOR. THE SAFETY DOTS WAS ABNORMAL LARGE IN SIZE. BOTH MY FRONT AND REAR WHEEL RAN OVER MANY LARGE SAFETY DOTS. THE COMPLETE TESLA BRAKE FUNCTION FAILED AND I HAVE NO BRAKE. BY THE TIME MY CAR STOPS I WAS LITERALLY SITTING ON TOP OF SAFETY DOTS. ONCE I COME OUT OF THE CAR I SAW THAT MY LEFT REAR TIRE AND RIMS LOOK LIKE IS FALLING OUT OF PLACE. THE POLICE CAMPUS CAME AND SAID IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR AXEL WAS BROKEN. THERE WAS NO DAMAGE TO THE OUTER APPEARANCE OF MY TESLA ONLY A UPPER SUSPENSION WHICH WAS DAMAGE. I BELIEVE THE PARTS WAS AN INTEGRITY ISSUE AND TESLA DENIES IT.

March 25, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10968448

NHTSA ID Number: 10968448

Incident Date March 24, 2017

Consumer Location NEWINGTON, CT

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CN4DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

SUSPENSION LINKS IN MY TESLA MODEL S 2013 WERE ADVISED TO BE REPLACED AT 56,000 MILES. IF NOT REPLACED BY SERVICE I WAS TOLD THE WHEELS COULD BREAK OFF. NO TIMELINE WAS GIVEN. THE CAR WAS MODERATELY USED ON AVERAGE CONDITION ROADS IN THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT. SUSPENSION LINKS SHOULD BE MORE RELIABLE AND NOT REQUIRE A REPLACEMENT AFTER 56,000 OF REGULAR USAGE.

January 14, 2017 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10945288
Components: SUSPENSION, WHEELS, STRUCTURE

NHTSA ID Number: 10945288

Incident Date January 11, 2017

Consumer Location FREMONT, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1BC5DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

MY CAR WENT OVER A POTHOLE ON 101 S JUST SHORT OF WOODSIDE RD. EXIT. I HEARD A LOUD THUD AND MY CAR WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND VEERED INTO THE LANES NEXT TO ME AS I TRIED TO CONTROL IT. AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO STOP IT, IT FINALLY CAME TO A STOP. THE REAR, RIGHT TIRE BURST AND THE WHEEL IMPACTED BADLY. REAR SUSPENSION BROKEN AND THE ‘QUARTER AND ROCKER PANEL’ BROKEN.

November 16, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10926399

NHTSA ID Number: 10926399

Incident Date November 12, 2016

Consumer Location CREVE COEUR, MO

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1CG7DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

RIGHT FRONT WHEEL’S SUSPENSION BALL JOINT OF A ARM SEPARATED WHILE DRIVING ABOUT 35 MPH GOING STRAIGHT AHEAD ON SMOOTH PAVED ROAD. CAR WAS STOPPED SAFELY AND PULLED OFF ROAD. AFTER STOPPING CAR, THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL WAS STILL ATTACHED BUT WAS LEANING IN ABOUT 15 DEGREES FROM VERTICAL. RESULTED IN $3100 OF DAMAGE TO CAR’S SUSPENSION COMPONENTS AND TIRE

June 13, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10873808

NHTSA ID Number: 10873808

Incident Date June 9, 2016

Consumer Location KANKAKEE, IL

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1AG1DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

AT 45K MILES MY SUSPENSION FAILED. IT REQUIRED A NEW CONTROL ARM AND SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT. TESLA SAID "DROVE VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE. UPON INSPECTION FOUND LEFT FRONT

UPPER CONTROL ARM JOINT TO HAVE EXCESSIVE FREEPLAY." THE INDIVIDUAL AT TESLA SAID IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. I WAS DRIVING THE CAR AND HEARD A CRACK NOISE WHILE GOING DOWN A STREET. FROM THEN ON OUT MY CAR MADE LOUD SQUEAKING AND CRACKING NOISES.

April 28, 2016 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10862066
Components: SUSPENSION, STEERING

NHTSA ID Number: 10862066

Incident Date April 24, 2016

Consumer Location CONNELLSVILLE, PA

Vehicle Identification Number P09340****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

MY FRONT WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLY CAME LOOSE FROM THE UPPER CONTROL ARM CAUSING A LOSE OF STEERING.

May 2, 2015 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10714213

NHTSA ID Number: 10714213

Incident Date May 2, 2015

Consumer Location LOS ANGELES, CA

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1DN3DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

LEFT REAR SUSPENSION INTEGRAL LINK COMPLETELY BROKE AND THE ATTACHED PIECE LODGED IN THE INSIDE OF THE TIRE RIM CAUSING MAJOR DAMAGE TO THE TIRE RIM. *TR

January 27, 2015 NHTSA ID NUMBER: 10679347

NHTSA ID Number: 10679347

Incident Date January 27, 2015

Consumer Location HURST, TX

Vehicle Identification Number 5YJSA1DP4DF****

Summary of Complaint

CRASHNo

FIRENo

INJURIES0

DEATHS0

WAS REPLACING THE LEFT REAR WHEEL AND NOTED AN ODD “NOTCH” IN THE LEFT REAR SUSPENSION ALUMINUM UPPER CONTROL ARM.

CLOSER INSPECTION REVEALED THAT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM WAS PARTIALLY SEVERED WITH APPROXIMATELY 1/2 OF THE LOWER PORTION CROSS SECTION, AND 1/3 TO 1/4 OF THE UPPER PORTION CROSS SECTION, CUT THROUGH BY THE LOWER SHOCK ABSORBER ATTACHMENT BOLT. IT APPEARS THAT THE BOLT WAS MOUNTED BACKWARDS, WITH THE SHARP TIP OF THE BOLT FACING FORWARD INSTEAD OF REARWARD, AT EITHER THE FACTORY, OR WHEN THE POWERTRAIN WAS REPLACED BY THE TESLA DENVER SERVICE CENTER (AS REPORTED BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER).

EXTENSIVE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE AVAILABLE AND, FRANKLY, THEY ARE ESSENTIAL TO ACCURATELY DEPICT THE SERIOUS AND POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC NATURE OF THIS SUSPENSION DAMAGE. IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM, A MAJOR SUSPENSION COMPONENT WHOSE FAILURE WOULD LIKE RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND POSSIBLY A ROLLOVER ACCIDENT, WAS AT OR NEAR THE POINT OF FRACTURE DUE TO THE MASSIVE LOSS OF CROSS SECTIONAL MATERIAL FROM THE FREQUENT IMPACTS (ON SUSPENSION COMPRESSION) BY THE MUCH HARDER/STRONGER BOLT TIP. IN OTHER WORDS, THE BOLT TIP ACTED AS A LATHE, CUTTING INTO THE SUSPENSION CONTROL ARM WITH EACH SUSPENSION CYCLE.

IN THE SHORT TERM, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND AN IMMEDIATE INSPECTION OF THE TESLA MODEL S FLEET, BEGINNING WITH MODEL S’S THAT HAVE HAD THEIR POWERTRAIN LOWERED AND REINSTALLED, TO SEE HOW MANY OTHER MODEL S’S HAVE THIS IMPENDING CATASTROPHIC DEFECT. WHILE IT COULD HAPPEN, I WOULD BE HIGHLY SURPRISED IF THIS VIN WAS THE ONE AND ONLY CASE OF THIS BOLT BEING INSTALLED BACKWARDS. IN THE LONGER TERM, I RECOMMEND THIS BOLT BE REDESIGNED SO AS TO PREVENT INCORRECT INSTALLATION.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND FOR THE PHOTOGRAPHS. *TR

More to follow…