Tesla suspension FATAL FLAW entire fleet should be grounded

“Tesla Design Director Franz von Holzhausen notes, “Aluminum is as strong as steel but lighter in weight, and has similar manufacturing capabilities. Lighter weight translates directly to efficiency.”

Well, that sounds nice, do tell us more…

First, the toe link and the upper link are made from aluminum extrusions that have been sliced to the desired thickness like so much Play-Doh or deli meat.

OK…nice.
Are you sure they are strong enough for the job?

So what do these suspension links look like?

Ok…fine.
And they are made from extruded Aluminum right?
Which has the grain structure running the length of the extrusion right?
M’kay.
So when you slice them into the links the grain structure is running CROSSWISE?

Are you freaking KIDDING ME???

What could possibly go wron

Let’s ask an expert.

McRat, Yesterday at 12:02 PM
Frank88 said: ↑
Yes.

Yup. Aluminum normally cracks with the ‘grain’. This is why on all critical components, grain direction is specified and verified.

The grain runs the wrong way to resist forming cracks. Just an unburred edge, a rock chip, a tool mark, could start a crack forming and the grain direction force the ding to act as a stress riser.

This was a really bad way to make something. It might work, but so might a piece of oak.

Engineering design FAIL!!
These links are ridiculously weak for a car of this power and weight.
But wait… it gets worse!

Under normal driving the massive torque of the Tesla motor is going to the wheel
There is some torque applied to the suspension whilst braking but since this is the rear wheel the force is only moderate.
When it gets really tricky is when the car is accelerating hard.

Driver plants the boot and one of the wheels starts to spin.
(either because of wet road or because accelerating around a bend)
Traction control brakes the spinning wheel.
Massive torque from motor wrenches off the entire suspension.

And then…YOU DIE!
Like this

And another one dies.
Suddenly veered off the road into a pond.
WHY?
Because the freaking wheel fell off.

The wheel and tire are undamaged. It is just the suspension that snapped off.
The wheels are not all that strong and if there had been a hard impact during the crash the wheel would be broken.

On this last accident at this Canyon road my take it was fake, Hollywood. I know it sounds weird but I spent over an hour analysing the timeline and articacts.

Why?
The car wreckage looks rear ended, very heavy damage at the back. Lost a wheel.

Bad acting: check the local sherrif and interview with the victim’s father, Keith Leung.

Timeline: the day after the accident the media managed to arrange three interviews with friends and family. Especially I don’t believe that a farther is interested in a television interview the next day his son dies.

Timing: why would you block a road in the middle of the night to lift a car from a pond deep below. Apart from getting the deseased out there was no urgency to recover the car. I also think the crane was too small to lift the car out of the wather at the position it was in, on the middle of the road. This was Hollywood.

Some links:

https://www.msn.com/fr-be/video/sport/father-remembers-son-killed-in-tesla-crash-on-windy-east-bay-road/vp-AAxBGiO

https://www.ourmidland.com/news/crime/article/Man-dies-after-Tesla-crashes-into-San-Francisco-12930804.php#photo-15590407

Check the white airbags and interior, remember, the car was completely under water. Clean water in California.

Also check the story with the airborne damaging of the billboard. Well, the billboard lies unbroken on the floor and the rest of the construction looks untouched.

This car was a film prop.

Re the fire photo: My suspicion is this was computer animation but I have no proof and didn’t spend time on it.

Also the swiss fire accident looks weird as the car compleyely melted away. But ok, maybe.

Yeah, seems you’re trying to say that all the evidence that Terdslas are Jerry built deathtraps is either fake or CGI…

Nice try.

Keef has a very good point about the aluminium suspension parts. For the sake of saving a few kilos of weight over vastly more resilient sprung steel they are not worth it. You’d know this if you had any experience of working with metals, but seems you’re more interested in calling all accidents involving Terdslas fake than any kind of scientific accuracy.

Please do not reply to this post as I have zero interest in your opinion.

Kthxbai!

Nils…you are an IDIOT.
Trust me, I know all about idiots.

I wasn’t saying anything about suspensions, I am not saying all accidents are fake. I am just saying some of the over reported accidents look fake and some really are fake.

But fine, if you believe in the moon landing, Musk’s returning rockets, nuclear weapons, 9/11 official story, go ahead.

Didn’t call Musk you an idiot? Better come up with arguments, if you don’t have the time, better say nothing.

Tesla is on its way out, both the way up and the way down are media controlled, you forgot the latter part.

Whatever.

Snore

From what I can gather, the drive train of a Tesla, including batteries and motors, is around 1,000lbs heavier than a comparable petrol engine drive train (though it’s hard to find a definitive figure).

This would explain their obsession with cutting weight elsewhere, i.e. suspension components, bodywork, interior, soundproofing, even paint and windscreen wipers.

If combined with subpar engineering and poor material choices, this skimping is a recipe for disaster, especially bearing in mind the instant torque of electric motors compared to petrol, as you mentioned.

I wonder if Tesla have any records of these components being properly tested? If not, victims could have a case for criminal negligence.

Edit to include: I just found this article on Tesla making owners sign non disclosure agreements in order to save money on repairs to defective suspension parts:

I’m not sure whether this is bribery, blackmail or extortion, but it’s certainly immoral and unprecedented in the automotive industry.

Back suspension fails Tesla spins 180 Degrees owner is lucky and walks away.

Back suspension fails Tesla spins 180 Degrees owner drowns in pond.

This is interesting:

Seems on the first emergency brake test the model 3 stopped in 130 feet, which is good, but in all tests thereafter the stopping distance was greatly increased.

This is highly unusual to say the least - the testers state they’ve never seen anything like it before.

Could it be that Tesla programmed the ABS to only brake really hard on the first attempt, so as to fool customers taking a test drive, and to brake softer thereafter in order to reduce stress on brake and suspension components?

Tesla admit it’s a software problem, so the behaviour is clearly programmed in at source, by Tesla.

As ever, with everything Musk is involved with, the whole matter is very shady indeed and doesn’t really make sense if thought about for more than a couple of minutes…

Edit to include:

Perhaps this is part of the reason:

I’ve never seen anything like it, and the top voted comment, by an obvious Tesla social media marketing consulant, is a blatant lie that has been upvoted with sockpuppet accounts - loads of people take their daily drivers to trackdays without having anything like these issues.

The problem is inadequate undersized brakes for a car of this weight and performance.
The claim by Musk that he can solve this with a software patch shows that he is no engineer.
He has a worthless BSc from a shonky business school.
Engineer my arse!!!

Here’s a video of a good automotive engineer checking out a model 3; he too is baffled by some of the features and poor quality of fit and finish:

Also note that the video got 2000+ dislikes: no other video by this channel gets more than 20 or so dislikes, so why was this one targeted?

Tesla claim to have zero dollars advertising budget, yet it is blatantly obvious they are using guerilla/viral online marketing techniques to plug their product, attack doubters, and bury negative press in search rankings. These techniques cost money, so there’s another lie from Musk.

Here’s a site where you can go to buy YouTube dislikes, as well as many other dodgy services, in case anyone thinks I am exaggerating:

Edit to include the wiki on Guerilla Marketing:

Blackhat Marketing:

So, a Tesla fanboy took his model 3 on a euro road trip and this is what happened:

He was reporting grinding noises from the steering a few days before the crash, so it could’ve been suspension failure to blame rather than autopilot.

Here’s his Facebook page, the photos may give clues as to what happened:

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=942133165958153&id=842475039257300&set=a.852909151547222.1073741829.842475039257300&refid=13&tn=%2B>

I keep thinking on the instant torque of electric drivetrains compared to petrol, and wondering if Tesla engineers took this fully into account when designing the suspension? Incredibly sloppy of them if they didn’t. (Edit: the model 3 is rear wheel drive so it can’t have been excess torque to blame here).

Whatever, it’s another PR disaster for Musk, God knows how he’ll try to spin this one.