Tesla suspension Hall Of Shame!

NHTSA Tesla Suspension Complaints

Date Complaint Filed: 07/18/2016Date of Incident: 07/18/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10885723Consumer Location: SAN DIEGO, CA
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP3CF…
SUMMARY:
NOTICED THIS PROBLEM AFTER I WAS BACKING UP AND TURNING MY WHEELS AND WOULD HEAR A LOUD METAL ON METAL “CLUNK” OR “GRINDING” SOUND. IT WAS COMING FROM THE FRONT-LEFT SUSPENSION AND WOULD OCCUR CAUSING MY WHEEL AND STEERING TO FEEL LIKE IT WAS SKIPPING. I NOTICED AND MY STEERING FELT “LOOSE” OVER BUMPS AND WOULD PULL TO THE LEFT. AGAIN THE VEHICLE IS IN MOTION AND THIS WAS FELT THE MOST WHEN TURNING FULL MOTION AND/OR BACKING UP AND TURNING. WHEN LOOKING AT ONE OF THE CONTROL-ARM JOINTS AFTER I NOTICED A VERY LOUD CLUNK AND COMPARING IT TO THE OTHER SIDE OF OF THE SUSPENSION, IT LOOKS LIKE EITHER A BOLT FELL OUT OR THE BALL-JOINT TO THE CONTROL ARM WAS JUST GRINDING FREELY. I’VE SINCE BROUGHT MY CAR TO TESLA AND THEY HAVE CONFIRMED THAT I HAVE A DEFECTIVE BALL-JOINT TO MY CONTROL ARM THATS ALSO DAMAGED MY STEERING KNUCKLE. IF I DIDNT CATCH THIS OR IT WAS BROKE AT GREATER SPEEDS WHATS THE LIKELY HOOD OF ME LOOSING CONTROL? I’VE ASKED IF THEY WILL REPLACE ALL THE OTHER PARTS IF THEY HAVE UPDATED PARTS BUT THEY SAID ONLY THE ITEMS THAT ARE DEFECTIVE IN THIS CASE WILL BE WARRANTIED. I SIMPLY DO NOT FEEL SAFE ANYMORE DRIVING THIS VEHICLE.

Complaint Filed: 11/08/2015Date of Incident: 07/04/2014Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10789052Consumer Location: Unknown
Crash:Yes Fire:Yes Number of Injuries:6 Number of Deaths:1
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP3CF…
SUMMARY:
THIS IS THE STOLEN CAR WHICH CRASHED IN HOLLYWOOD. PHOTOGRAPHS AT THE SCENE SHOW 3/4 OF A WHEEL AND THE TIRE LYING ON THE GROUND. HERE IS THE LISTING AT THE SALVAGE AUCTION SITE. HTTP://IMGUR.COM/A/H7ROA THE CRASH SITE IMAGES HOW THE FRONT WHEEL BROKEN LOOSE. THE SALVAGE YARD PHOTOGRAPHS SHOW THE OTHER 1/4 OF THE WHEEL STILL BOLTED TO THE BROKEN KINGPIN. THE WHEEL HAS BEEN SLICED IN TWO WHILE STILL ROLLING ON THE ROAD. IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THAT SLICING TO HAVE OCCURRED POST IMPACT. THERE ARE 100,00 OF THESE CARS ON ROADS AROUND THE WORDLD. IF THIS WAS AN AIRCRAFT IT WOULD BE GROUNDED IMMEDIATELY. I BELIEVE THIS DEFECT IS SO DANGEROUS THAT ALL CARS SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF THE ROAD BEFORE PEOPLE DIE. THE ADDITION OF THE BETA RELEASE AUTOPILOT MAKES THE SITUATION EVEN MORE DANGEROUS. PLEASE NOTE…FICTITIOUS US ADDRESS TO ENABLE LODGEMENT

Date Complaint Filed: 10/23/2015Date of Incident: 03/01/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10785486Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP8CF…
SUMMARY:
I AM FILING THESE COMPLAINTS IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST. I AM NOT A TESLA OWNER AND I HAVE NO INVESTMENT IN TESLA NOR DO I HOLD ANY SHARES IN THE STOCK-MARKET. THIS CAR IS IN THE WRECKING YARD. THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS FAILED AND THE WHEEL IS PUSHED BACK AGAINST THE HIGH VOLTAGE CONTROLLER. HTTP://WWW.SALVAGERESELLER.COM/VEHICLES/DETAILS/32315405-2012-TESLA-MODEL-S-CA-SAN-DIEGO THERE IS NO OTHER DAMAGE THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THE SUSPENSION FAILURE. THERE WAS A CRASH BACK IN 2013 WHICH WAS BLAMED ON THE DRIVER OF THE OTHER CAR. HTTP://WWW.INAUTONEWS.COM/TESLA-MODEL-S-GETS-CRASHED-DRIVER-WALKS-AWAY-UNHARMED IF YOU LOOK AT THE PHOTO OF THE TESLA ON THE TOW-TRUCK AFTER THE ACCIDENT YOU WILL SEE THAT THE TOP SUSPENSION LINK HAS COME UNBOLTED. IT DOES NOT LOOK AS THOUGH THIS HAPPENED IN THE ACCIDENT. IT IS NOT SNAPPED, IT HAS FALLEN OFF. IMAGE HERE: HTTP://WWW.INAUTONEWS.COM/TESLA-MODEL-S-GETS-CRASHED-DRIVER-WALKS-AWAY-UNHARMED/TESLA-MODEL-S-CRASH-5 ALL OF THE BLUE BATTERY COOLANT IN THE RESERVOIR HAS BEEN LOST LEADING TO A HIGH RISK OF FIRE. THIS THREAD ON THE TESLA FORUM COULD EXPLAIN WHY THE SUSPENSION HAS COME LOOSE. HTTP://MY.TESLAMOTORS.COM/FORUM/FORUMS/MODEL-S-PULLS-LEFT-PLEASE-READ QUOTE: WHEN I GOT HOME FROM WORK I PUT THE CAR UP ON THE LIFT AND COULDN’T BELIEVE WHAT I FOUND. THE PASSENGER LOWER BALL JOINT NUT WAS NOT JUST LOOSE, IT WAS A FEW THREADS AWAY FROM FALLING OFF! I DECIDED TO CHECK ALL THE BOLTS IN ALL FOR CORNERS OF THE CAR AND FOUND THE SAME NUT ON THE DRIVE SIDE TO BE HAND TIGHT (IT WAS LOOSE, BUT HADN’T SPUN ALL THE WAY DOWN YET). THERE ARE MANY OTHER IMAGES ON THE NET OF DAMAGED CARS WHERE THE SUSPENSION HAS FAILED IN A SIMILAR MANNER. IF THE RH WHEEL MOVES BACK IT CAN DAMAGE THE HV CONTROLLER. IF THE LH WHEEL MOVES BACK IT CAN DAMAGE THE BATTERY COOLANT TANK AND LEAD TO FIRE.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/15/2016Date of Incident: 07/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10895847Consumer Location: Unknown
Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP7DF…
SUMMARY:
I HAVE SUPPLIED NHTSA WITH DETAILS OF MANY TESLAS WITH BROKEN SUSPENSIONS. THIS LATEST ONE THAT HAS JUST ARRIVED IN THE WRECKING YARD IS A PRIME EXAMPLE. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=21270046&ITEMID=22443933&ROWID=7&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS PLEASE LOOK AT THE PHOTOGRAPHS AND SEE IF YOU AGREE THAT THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM WITH THE DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE OF THESE CARS. TWO OF THE WHEELS AND TIRES HAVE BEEN BADLY DAMAGED WHILST THE CAR WAS IN MOTION. IT APPEARS THAT THE AIR SUSPENSION HAS FAILED CAUSING ALL WHEELS TO JAM UP INTO THE WHEEL WELLS. OWNERS HAVE REPORTED THAT THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE LIMIT STOPS AND THIS IS WHY A SIMPLE AIR LEAK CAN RESULT IN DISASTER. HTTPS://FORUMS.TESLA.COM/EN_AU/FORUM/FORUMS/AIR-SUSPENSION-FAILURE-VERY-UNPLEASANT-RESULTS

Date Complaint Filed: 08/10/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2013Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10894694Consumer Location: Unknown
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:1 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): UNKNOWN…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A REPORT OF A TESLA CRASH AT AN INTERSECTION. HTTP://INSIDEEVS.COM/TESLA-MODEL-S-GETS-WRECKED-OWNER-SAYS-VEHICLE-SAVED-HIS-LIFE-IMAGES-OWNER-TESTIMONIAL/ THE REPORT BLAMES THE OTHER DRIVER AND CREDITS THE TESLA WITH SAVING THE OWNER FROM INJURY. THE CLAIM THAT THE HYUNDAI HIT THE TESLA AND THEN REBOUNDED AND HIT THE TESLA ONCE MORE IS QUITE UNUSUAL. THE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE HIGH RESOLUTION AND IF THEY ARE BLOWN UP AND EXAMINED CLOSE UP YOU CAN SEETHE THAT TIP OF THE STEERING KNUCKLE IS BROKEN OFF (CLOSE UP PHOTOGRAPH OF THE ACTUAL PART -WHICH WAS PURCHASED BY A REBUILDER- HERE: HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/22799472895/IN/ALBUM-72157658490111523/ I THINK IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SUSPENSION FAILURES ARE CAUSING MANY CRASHES. THE DATE OF THE INCIDENT IS AN ESTIMATE. THE OWNER SAYS THAT TESLA HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL. "?TESLA CALLED MY HOME SHORTLY AFTERWARDS SAYING THAT THEY RECEIVED MULTIPLE ALARMS FROM THE CAR AND WANTED TO MAKE SURE I WAS OK. THEY PICKED UP MY CAR FREE OF CHARGE AND TRANSPORTED IT 50 MILES TO THE NEAREST SERVICE CENTER. THEY ARE ALSO ARRANGING A LOANER MODEL S. CAN I ASK FOR MORE? PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT THE OWNER JUST A CONCERNED CITIZEN PLEASE INCLUDE THIS CRASH IN ANY INQUIRY INTO THE TESLA SUSPENSION ISSUE. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 07/12/2016Date of Incident: 06/15/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10884408Consumer Location: Unknown
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:2 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CP9DF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ANOTHER CRASHED TESLA IN THE JUNK-YARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/26133286/PHOTOS?SEARCHID=978872155 THE FRONT WHEEL HAS COME OFF AND IT HAS THE USUAL CHARACTERISTICS OF A GROOVE WORN IN THE TREAD AND THE TIRE PARTLY PEELED OFF THE RIM. THIS IS (IMHO) MOST LIKELY TO HAVE OCCURRED WHILE THE CAR WAS IN MOTION AND BEFORE THE MAIN IMPACT. IT IS LIKELY THAT THIS WAS THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH AND NOT MERELY THE RESULT OF THE CRASH. THERE SEEM TO BE FAR TOO MANY SIMILAR CASES OF SUSPENSION FAILURE. PLEASE INVESTIGATE. PLEASE NOT THAT I AM NOT THE OWNER, JUST A CONCERNED CITIZEN. THE REPORTS OF NUMBER OF PERSONS INJURED ARE ONLY AN ESTIMATE BASED ON THE SEVERITY OF THE CRASH.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/13/2016Date of Incident: 06/09/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10873808Consumer Location: KANKAKEE, IL
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1AG1DF…
SUMMARY:
AT 45K MILES MY SUSPENSION FAILED. IT REQUIRED A NEW CONTROL ARM AND SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT. TESLA SAID “DROVE VEHICLE AND CONFIRMED NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE. UPON INSPECTION FOUND LEFT FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM JOINT TO HAVE EXCESSIVE FREEPLAY.” THE INDIVIDUAL AT TESLA SAID IT WAS NO BIG DEAL. I WAS DRIVING THE CAR AND HEARD A CRACK NOISE WHILE GOING DOWN A STREET. FROM THEN ON OUT MY CAR MADE LOUD SQUEAKING AND CRACKING NOISES.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/08/2016Date of Incident: 03/16/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10873289Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H1XEF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A 2013 TESLA FRESHLY ARRIVED IN THE SALVAGE YARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/24523446?SEARCHID=1172082716 THE BACK RH WHEEL AND SUSPENSION IS COMPLETELY TORN OFF THE CAR. THERE IS SOME IMPACT DAMAGE BUT THAT IS PROBABLY THE RESULT OF THE THE SUSPENSION FAILURE . THERE ARE SO MANY EXAMPLES OF THIS KIND OF FAILURE IN THE TESLA THAT IT POINTS TO THERE BEING A DESIGN/MANUFACTURING DEFECT. TESLA HAS REQUIRED SOME OWNERS TO SIGN NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENTS POSTERS ON TESLA FORUMS ARE DISCOURAGING OWNERS FROM REPORTING THESE PROBLEMS AND ARE EVEN ALLEGING THAT THESE COMPLAINTS ARE FRAUDULENT. MY COMPLAINTS ARE HONEST REPORTS WITH VERIFIABLE DATA TO SUPPORT THEM. IF YOU REQUIRE SAMPLES OF BROKEN SUSPENSION PARTS THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS VISIT THE SALVAGE AUCTION YARDS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE MULTIPLE FAILURES OF TESLA SUSPENSIONS TO SAVE LIVES.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/02/2016Date of Incident: 04/19/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10871990Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN3DF…
SUMMARY:
ANOTHER TESLA IN THE SALVAGE YARD HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22102447&ROWID=30&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS FRONT SUSPENSION COMPLETELY TORN OFF, NO DAMAGE FORWARD OF THE WHEEL THAT WOULD ACCOUNT FOR THE DAMAGE. THE TOP BALL-JOINT STEM HAS PULLED OUT OF THE TOP OF THE STEERING KNUCKLE WHICH HAS A FRACTURED TIP. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY OF THESE FAILURES FOR THE RELATIVELY SMALL NUMBER OF THESE CARS THAT ARE ON THE ROADS PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/02/2016Date of Incident: 04/19/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10871985Consumer Location: Unknown
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Crash:Yes Fire:Yes Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CP8DF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ANOTHER MODEL S FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/EN/LOT/24419056?SEARCHID=213897253 THE FRONT LH TOP BALL JOINT HAS SEPARATED FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE AND THERE IS NO COLLISION DAMAGE FORWARD OF THE WHEEL THAT WOULD HAVE CAUSED THIS FAILURE. THE CAR HAS THEN CAUGHT FIRE AND BURNED OUT. THIS BALL JOINT FAILURE LOOKS VERY SIMILAR TO THE OTHER 2013 INCIDENT WHICH HAS ALREADY BEEN LISTED ON YOUR DATABASE. DATE COMPLAINT FILED: 04/28/2016DATE OF INCIDENT: 04/24/2016COMPONENT(S): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID NUMBER: 10862066CONSUMER LOCATION: CONNELLSVILLE, PA ALL PRODUCTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS COMPLAINT EXPAND DETAILS CLOSE HELP 0 AVAILABLE DOCUMENTS CRASH:NO FIRE:NO NUMBER OF INJURIES:0 NUMBER OF DEATHS:0 MANUFACTURER: TESLA MOTORS, INC. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NO. (VIN): P09340… SUMMARY: MY FRONT WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLY CAME LOOSE FROM THE UPPER CONTROL ARM CAUSING A LOSE OF STEERING. HERE IS A YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THAT BADLY WORN BALL-JOINT HTTPS://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=DGDKZMLZQOG THERE MUST BE MANY TESLAS ON THE ROADS WITH THESE BALL-JOINTS READY TO FALL APART. NO WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED TO OWNERS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE

Date Complaint Filed: 05/25/2016Date of Incident: 04/28/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10870904Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CP2DF…
SUMMARY:
I AM FILING THIS COMPLAINT IN THE HOPE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE THERE IS A CLEAR PATTERN OF FAILURE IN THE TESLA ALLOY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS. THIS CAR HAS THE ENTIRE LH BACK SUSPENSION RIPPED OUT. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22060456&ROWID=30&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THE ONLY DAMAGE TO THE CAR IS WHERE THE WHEEL HAS EXITED THROUGH THE BACK BUMPER. PLEASE INVESTIGATE TO PREVENT LOSS OF INNOCENT LIVES.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/21/2016Date of Incident: 04/02/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10870133Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1AG6DF…
SUMMARY:
THIS MODEL S HAS JUST ARRIVED AT THE WRECKER’S YARD. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22105984&ROWID=32&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# ONCE AGAIN THE REAR SUSPENSION HAS BEEN WRENCHED OFF THE CAR WITHOUT ANY SIGN OF COLLISION DAMAGE THAT WOULD HAVE CAUSED THE FAILURE. THE MOTOR HAS PLENTY OF TORQUE TO WRENCH OFF THE SUSPENSION. THERE IS A CLEAR PATTERN OF FAILURE. PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/19/2016Date of Incident: 04/04/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10865907Consumer Location: Unknown

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CP2DF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS YET ANOTHER TESLA MODEL S FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22060456&ROWID=28&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE LH REAR WHEEL AND SUSPENSION HAVE TORN OUTWARDS THROUGH THE BODYWORK. THE RH WHEEL IS TILTED OVER AT AN ANGLE. THERE IS NO IMPACT DAMAGE THAT WOULD HAVE CAUSED THIS. THERE HAVE BEEN DOZENS OF SIMILAR INCIDENTS. HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/SETS/72157658490111523/ OWNERS ARE BEING ASKED TO SIGN NDA,S IN EXCHANGE FOR GOODWILL PAYMENTS. THE WORDING OF THE NDA CAN BE INTERPRETED TO MEAN THAT THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN REPORT THE INCIDENT TO NHTSA PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS MATTER. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 05/09/2016Date of Incident: 01/13/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10863852Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CP6DF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ANOTHER TESLA WITH A COLLAPSED FRONT SUSPENSION. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/EN/LOT/21054696?SEARCHID=632075351 THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN INVOLVED IN A COLLISION, THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS SIMPLY FALLEN APART. THE FRONT WHEEL IS SLICED NEARLY IN HALF BY A BROKEN SUSPENSION COMPONENT. THIS TYPE OF FAILURE CAN BE SEEN IN MANY ACCIDENTS INVOLVING TESLAS. PLEASE LOOK AT THE PATTERN HERE. THE ALLOY SUSPENSION LINKS ARE WEAK. THE STEERING-KNUCKLE HAS BEEN REDESIGNED AND MADE STRONGER FROM 2015 ONWARDS BUT NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE ABOUT THE OLDER MODEL CARS. EVEN THE NEW AND STRONGER SUSPENSIONS ARE STILL SNAPPING OFF THE CARS. CUSTOMERS ARE BEING FORCED TO SIGN NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENTS IN EXCHANGE FOR GOODWILL PAYMENTS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/02/2016Date of Incident: 03/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10862640Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT LISTED FOR A SNAPPED FRONT SUSPENSION ( REF # 10862066) THERE IS A DISCUSSION THREAD HERE HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/SUSPENSION-PROBLEM-ON-MODEL-S.69204/ WHICH SHOWS A TOP BALL JOINT THAT HAS BEEN CORRODED SO BADLY THAT IT HAS POPPED OUT OF THE SOCKET. POSTERS ARE SAYING THAT SIMILAR CASES HAVE HAPPENED IN NORWAY AND OTHER PLACES THAT USE SALT ON THE ROADS. THE DESIGN OF THE MODEL S ALLOWS ROAD DIRT TO BE THROWN ON TO THE SUSPENSION PARTS. IN THE THREAD THERE ARE PHOTOGRAPHS OF TESLAS WITH HEAVY CORROSION. IT IS LIKELY THAT GALVANIC CORROSION IS OCCURRING. ALUMINIUM AND STEEL COMPONENTS ARE IN DIRECT CONTACT WHICH WILL CAUSE CORROSION IN WET AND SALTY CONDITIONS. IN NORTHERN USA,CANADA, NORWAY AND MANY OTHER COUNTRIES SALT IS USED ON THE ROADS. THIS FAULT WAS NOT PICKED UP UNTIL IT ACTUALLY FELL APART AND THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT FOUND THAT BALL JOINTS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CAR NEEDED REPLACING. THIS IS A DANGER TO OWNERS AND TO OTHER ROAD USERS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/28/2016Date of Incident: 04/24/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10862066Consumer Location: CONNELLSVILLE, PA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): P09340…
SUMMARY:
MY FRONT WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLY CAME LOOSE FROM THE UPPER CONTROL ARM CAUSING A LOSE OF STEERING.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/02/2015Date of Incident: 05/02/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10714213Consumer Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DN3DF…
SUMMARY:
LEFT REAR SUSPENSION INTEGRAL LINK COMPLETELY BROKE AND THE ATTACHED PIECE LODGED IN THE INSIDE OF THE TIRE RIM CAUSING MAJOR DAMAGE TO THE TIRE RIM.

Date Complaint Filed: 01/27/2015Date of Incident: 01/27/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10679347Consumer Location: HURST, TX
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DP4DF…
SUMMARY:
WAS REPLACING THE LEFT REAR WHEEL AND NOTED AN ODD “NOTCH” IN THE LEFT REAR SUSPENSION ALUMINUM UPPER CONTROL ARM. CLOSER INSPECTION REVEALED THAT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM WAS PARTIALLY SEVERED WITH APPROXIMATELY 1/2 OF THE LOWER PORTION CROSS SECTION, AND 1/3 TO 1/4 OF THE UPPER PORTION CROSS SECTION, CUT THROUGH BY THE LOWER SHOCK ABSORBER ATTACHMENT BOLT. IT APPEARS THAT THE BOLT WAS MOUNTED BACKWARDS, WITH THE SHARP TIP OF THE BOLT FACING FORWARD INSTEAD OF REARWARD, AT EITHER THE FACTORY, OR WHEN THE POWERTRAIN WAS REPLACED BY THE TESLA DENVER SERVICE CENTER (AS REPORTED BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER). EXTENSIVE PHOTOGRAPHS ARE AVAILABLE AND, FRANKLY, THEY ARE ESSENTIAL TO ACCURATELY DEPICT THE SERIOUS AND POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC NATURE OF THIS SUSPENSION DAMAGE. IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE UPPER CONTROL ARM, A MAJOR SUSPENSION COMPONENT WHOSE FAILURE WOULD LIKE RESULT IN A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL AND POSSIBLY A ROLLOVER ACCIDENT, WAS AT OR NEAR THE POINT OF FRACTURE DUE TO THE MASSIVE LOSS OF CROSS SECTIONAL MATERIAL FROM THE FREQUENT IMPACTS (ON SUSPENSION COMPRESSION) BY THE MUCH HARDER/STRONGER BOLT TIP. IN OTHER WORDS, THE BOLT TIP ACTED AS A LATHE, CUTTING INTO THE SUSPENSION CONTROL ARM WITH EACH SUSPENSION CYCLE. IN THE SHORT TERM, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND AN IMMEDIATE INSPECTION OF THE TESLA MODEL S FLEET, BEGINNING WITH MODEL S’S THAT HAVE HAD THEIR POWERTRAIN LOWERED AND REINSTALLED, TO SEE HOW MANY OTHER MODEL S’S HAVE THIS IMPENDING CATASTROPHIC DEFECT. WHILE IT COULD HAPPEN, I WOULD BE HIGHLY SURPRISED IF THIS VIN WAS THE ONE AND ONLY CASE OF THIS BOLT BEING INSTALLED BACKWARDS. IN THE LONGER TERM, I RECOMMEND THIS BOLT BE REDESIGNED SO AS TO PREVENT INCORRECT INSTALLATION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND FOR THE PHOTOGRAPHS. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 08/17/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10896783Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H17EF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA IN THE SALVAGE YARD. THERE HAS NOT BEEN A COLLISION, THERE IS NO BODY DAMAGE AND THE AIRBAGS HAVE NOT DEPLOYED. THE LH BACK WHEEL IS SKEWED SIDEWAYS WHICH MEANS THAT THE SUSPENSION LINKS HAVE BROKEN. IT IS OBVIOUS FROM THE IMAGES OF THE LOWER SUSPENSION WISHBONE THAT THE PARTS HAVE INSUFFICIENT STRENGTH TO ALLOW A MARGIN OF SAFETY. HTTP://WWW.EBAY.COM/ITM/TESLA-S-OEM-RIGHT-REAR-LOWER-CONTROL-ARM-REAR-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-SPINDLE-OEM-/282117965566?HASH=ITEM41AF8A86FE:G:ILWAAOSWA81XR3RU&VXP=MTR PLEASE INVESTIGATE WHETHER THESE FAILURES ARE CAUSING CRASHES.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/14/2016Date of Incident: 07/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10895795Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H12EF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA IN THE WRECKING YARD HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22737590&ROWID=16&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# IT HAS BEEN IN A HEAVY FRONT END COLLISION BUT THE REAR END OF THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN HIT. THE ENTIRE LH BACK SUSPENSION HAS SNAPPED OFF AND IS LYING ON THE GROUND. THE BROKEN SUSPENSION LINKAGES CAN CLEARLY BE SEEN. THE WHEEL AND TIRE ARE UNDAMAGED THIS IS JUST ONE OF THE LARGE NUMBER OF TESLAS THAT HAVE HAD SIMILAR FAILURES OF THE FRONT OR REAR SUSPENSIONS. THE ALLOY COMPONENTS ARE OBVIOUSLY NOT STRONG ENOUGH FOR THE WEIGHT AND POWER OF THIS VEHICLE. PLEASE TAKE ACTION OVER THIS PROBLEM. (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE INJURIES REPORTED ARE AN ESTIMATE BASED ON THE SEVERITY OF THE DAMAGE TO THE CAR)

Date Complaint Filed: 06/27/2016Date of Incident: 01/01/2014Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10876721Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
THIS IS A COMPLAINT MADE IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST. I BELIEVE THAT TESLA HAS A CULTURE OF COVERING UP DANGEROUS DEFECTS AND CRASHES BY CONCOCTING COVER STORIES. HERE IS ONE EXAMPLE. HTTP://WWW.CARSHOWTV.COM/2015/07/21/TESLA-INSANITY-MODE-CREATES-INSANE-CRASH/ FACT IS THAT THE BACK WHEEL IS SKEWED FOR NO GOOD REASON. THE ALLEGED COLLISION WITH A MAN-HOLE COVER IS RIDICULOUS. A GOOGLE STREET VIEW OF THE LOCATION SHOWS THE ABSURDITY OF THE STORY. HERE IS ANOTHER ONE: HTTP://INSIDEEVS.COM/TESLA-REVEALS-DETAILS-LAST-YEARS-FIERY-MODEL-S-WRECK-MEXICO/ THE BACK WHEEL IS SKEWED FOR NO GOOD REASON. GOOGLE STREET VIEW OF THE ACCIDENT SCENE SHOWS THAT IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE CAR TO BE TRAVELLING AT THE SPEED CLAIMED. THE DRIVER WAS ALLEGED TO BE DRUNK AND YET TESLA EXPEDITED HIS REPLACEMENT CAR. HERE IS ONE OF THE TESLA FIRES THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY RUNNING OVER A TOW-HITCH. HTTP://INSIDEEVS.COM/THIRD-TESLA-MODEL-S-FIRE-IN-PAST-5-WEEKS-BREAKS-OUT-AFTER-ACCIDENT/ PROBLEM IS - THE PHOTOGRAPHS SHOW THAT THE TESLA SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED AND THE WHEEL IS JAMMED BACK INTO THE BATTERY. HERE ARE VIDEOS OF THE “TITANIUM SHIELD” (WHICH WEIGHS ABOUT 8 OUNCES) HTTP://WWW.THEWIRE.COM/TECHNOLOGY/2014/03/ELON-MUSK-MAYBE-THESE-GIFS-OF-TITANIUM-SHIELDS-PLATES-WILL-SHUT-TESLA-CRITICS-UP/359777/ THOSE VIDEOS ARE BEYOND RIDICULOUS. THE BLOCK AND ALTERNATOR SEEM TO BE MADE OUT OF PLASTER OF PARIS. ADDITIONALLY THE SUSPENSION HEIGHT WAS RAISED TO IMPROVE SAFETY AND THEN QUIETLY DROPPED BACK TO THE REGULAR LOW POSITION ONLY A FEW MONTHS LATER. I AM ENTIRELY SERIOUS ABOUT THESE ISSUES. I BELIEVE THAT THERE HAS BEEN A DELIBERATE COVER UP OF DEFECTS THAT ARE PUTTING LIVES IN DANGER.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/17/2016Date of Incident: 04/04/2016Component(s): POWER TRAIN , SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10874898Consumer Location: HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S14EF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS DRIVING ON THE FREEWAY GOING APPROXIMATELY 60MPH WHEN I SUDDENLY LOST CONTROL ON A SLIGHT TURN TO TRANSFER FREEWAYS. I SWIPED INTO THE RIGHT FREEWAY WALL AND SPUN OUT DOING A COMPLETE 180 AND ENDED UP ON THE LEFT FREEWAY WALL. I DIDN’T UNDERSTAND HOW I LOST CONTROL WHEN I WAS NOT GOING THAT FAST, AND THE TURN WAS NOT AT ALL ABRUPT NOR SEVERE IN ANGLE. THE SIDE AIRBAGS WERE DEPLOYED, AND WHEN I EXITED THE VEHICLE, THE REAR RIGHT TIRE AND AXLE WAS COMPLETELY DISLODGED. I NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT, AND I COULDN’T UNDERSTAND HOW THAT WOULD HAPPEN.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/28/2016Date of Incident: 02/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10852100Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A TESLA WITH A REAR WHEEL ASSEMBLY THAT HAS FALLEN COMPLETELY OFF THE CAR. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21617174&ROWID=10&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE CAR HAS SUFFERED HEAVY FRONT END DAMAGE BUT THERE IS NO SIGN OF DAMAGE AT THE REAR LEFT THAT COULD EXPLAIN WHY THE WHEEL HAS FALLEN OFF. THE FRONT LH SUSPENSION HAS ALSO BROKEN BUT IT IS UNCLEAR IF THAT WAS THE CAUSE OR THE RESULT OF THE COLLISION. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY SIMILAR CASES OF SNAPPED OFF WHEELS FOR THIS TO BE MERELY A FREAK ACCIDENT.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/28/2016Date of Incident: 02/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10852077Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H13EF…
SUMMARY:
I AM FILING THIS COMPLAINT IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST. I AM NOT THE VEHICLE OWNER. I AM NOT A US RESIDENT AND HAVE USED A MADE UP ADDRESS TO SATISFY YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. I HAVE SUPPLIED MY GENUINE CONTACT DETAILS ON THE SUBMITTED FORM. THIS CAR IS FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/40663765?SEARCHID=261226908 THERE IS OVERALL DAMAGE TO THE ENTIRE CAR AND THE AIR-BAGS HAVE DEPLOYED BUT THE RH REAR WHEEL ASSEMBLY HAS BEEN TOTALLY WRENCHED OFF DESPITE THERE BEING NO COLLISION DAMAGE IN THAT AREA OF THE CAR. THE PHOTOGRAPHS SHOW THAT ALL OF THE ALLOY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS HAVE BEEN TORN CLEAN AWAY. IT IS MOST PROBABLE THAT THIS FAILURE WAS THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH AND NOT THE RESULT OF IMPACT DAMAGE. THERE ARE SO MANY SIMILAR INCIDENTS INVOLVING THE TESLA THAT IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE COMPONENTS ARE NOT STRONG ENOUGH AND CONSTITUTE A DANGER TO ALL ROAD USERS.

Date Complaint Filed: 02/23/2016Date of Incident: 01/05/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10837649Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H17EF…
SUMMARY:
I AM A CONCERNED CITIZEN FROM OUTSIDE USA. FICTITIOUS US ADDRES SUPPLIED TO SATISFY YOUR WEBSITE. I HAVE SUPPLIED YOU MY REAL NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS. HERE IS ANOTHER TESLA IN WHICH SUSPENSION COMPONENTS HAVE FAILED AND CAUSED THE ENTIRE WHEEL ASSEMBLY TO FALL OFF THE CAR. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21395630&ROWID=16&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THE WHEEL HAS BEEN RIPPED OUTWARDS THROUGH THE WHEEL ARCH. THE WHEEL HAS BEEN SLICED IN HALF BY A BROKEN SUSPENSION COMPONENT WHILST THE WHEEL WAS STILL ROTATING. THERE IS NO DAMAGE TO ANY OTHER PART OF THE CAR. AIR-BAGS NOT DEPLOYED. THIS IS ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT THE RESULT OF A CRASH BUT IS JUST ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF THE DOZENS OF CASES WHERE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS HAVE SNAPPED OFF. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS BEFORE LIVES ARE LOST.

Date Complaint Filed: 02/08/2016Date of Incident: 01/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10824742Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
I HAVE SUBMITTED MANY EXAMPLES OF TESLA SUSPENSION COMPONENTS SNAPPING OFF. THIS TESLA IS FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTP://WWW.SALVAGERESELLER.COM/VEHICLES/DETAILS/14406666-2014-TESLA-MODEL-S-MA-MENDON# WHILST IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE WHEEL WAS RIPPED OFF IN THE CRASH IT IS REMARKABLE THAT SO MANY OF THESE CARS ARE FAILING IN A SIMILAR FASHION. THE DAMAGE TO THE BODYWORK DOES NOT LOOK CONSISTENT WITH A SEVERE ENOUGH IMPACT TO TEAR THE SUSPENSION OFF THE CAR. THE TIP OF THE STEERING KNUCKLE AKA KING-PIN IS ONCE AGAIN SNAPPED OFF IN THE SAME FASHION AS MANY SIMILAR FAILURES. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT UNDER THE HIGH TORQUE APPLIED DURING EMERGENCY BRAKING THIS TIP SNAPS OFF WITH CATASTROPHIC CONSEQUENCES. THIS IS A LARGE HEAVY CAR WITH HIGH PERFORMANCE BRAKES BUT THOSE BRAKES ARE VERY RARELY USED HARD. DRIVERS PREFER TO USE REGENERATIVE BRAKING TO REDUCE BATTERY DRAIN IN THIS ELECTRIC CAR. I HAVE SUPPLIED A FICTITIOUS ADDRESS TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. I AM NOT A US RESIDENT…JUST A CONCERNED CITIZEN

Date Complaint Filed: 02/03/2016Date of Incident: 01/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10824049Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H14EF…
SUMMARY:
PLEASE NOTE I AM A CONCERNED (NON-US) CITIZEN. I AM REPORTING AN ACCIDENT THAT OCCURED IN CHINA AND HAVE USED THE VIN FROM ANOTHER WRECKED TESLA AND A FICTITIOUS US ADDRESS TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. THERE HAS BEEN A SPATE OF INCIDENTS IN WHICH THE SUSPENSION ON TESLA MODEL S HAS COLLAPSED. I NOW HAVE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE OF A SNAPPED SUSPENSION BALL JOINT WHICH IS ATTACHED TO THIS POST. HERE IS THE THREAD WHICH DISCUSSES THE FAILURE. HTTP://WWW.TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/SHOWTHREAD.PHP/61899-UNIVERSAL-JOINT-SUDDENLY-SHEERED-WHEN-PARKING FOR FURTHER EVIDENCE OF JUST HOW MANY TESLAS HAVE HAD SUSPENSION COMPONENTS SNAP PRIOR TO A CRASH PLEASE LOOK AT ALL THESE PHOTOGRAPHS ON FLICKR. HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/

Date Complaint Filed: 01/25/2016Date of Incident: 01/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10822151Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H23EF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A FRESH EXAMPLE OF A TESLA MODEL S IN WHICH THE SUSPENSION HAS FAILED CAUSING THE WHEEL TO BE COMPLETELY SLICED IN HALF WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS STILL ROLLING FORWARD. HTTP://WWW.SALVAGERESELLER.COM/VEHICLES/DETAILS/38358495-2014-TESLA-MODEL-S-TX-HOUSTON# THERE IS NO ACCIDENT TO THE CAR WHICH COULD ACCOUNT FOR THIS. I HAVE COLLECTED MANY OTHER IMAGES OF TESLAS WITH THE SAME KIND OF DAMAGE. THESE CAN BE VIEWED ON FLICKR ALBUM HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/22456780543 MOST IMPORTANTLY THE SAME SLICED WHEEL EFFECT CAN BE SEEN ON MANY SERIOUS CRASH EVENTS INCLUDING THE FATAL ONE IN HOLLYWOOD. THE WHEEL MUST HAVE BEEN SLICED IN HALF BY A BROKEN SUSPENSION COMPONENT BEFORE THE CRASH AND WHILE THE WHEELS WERE STILL ROTATING. HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/ALBUMS/72157661343139261 PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS URGENTLY. I AM NOT A TESLA OWNER BUT I AM FORCED TO SHARE THE ROADS WITH THESE DANGEROUS CARS. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 11/01/2015Date of Incident: 07/01/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10787534Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): HTTP://WWW
SUMMARY:
THIS CAR IS FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. THE SUSPENSION HAS FAILED BOTH FRONT AND REAR. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/29535665/PHOTOS?SEARCHID=311640899 THERE IS NO DAMAGE VISIBLE TO THE VEHICLE THAT WOULD ACCOUNT FOR BOTH WHEELS COMING OFF LIKE THAT. THE WHEELS AND TIRES ARE UNDAMAGED SO IT CAN NOT BE EXPLAINED AWAY AS BEING THE RESULT OF A COLLISION. THE AIR-BAGS HAVE NOT BEEN DEPLOYED. THE FRONT DAMAGE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED ONLY BY THE FAILURE OF THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS AND THE WHEEL IS COMPLETELY DETACHED. THE REAR OF THE CAR IS UNDAMAGED AND YET THE WHEEL IS SKEWED BADLY. THERE IS A PATTERN OF SIMILAR FAILURES PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE PEOPLE GET KILLED.

Date Complaint Filed: 09/23/2015Date of Incident: 09/01/2014Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10767589Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S1XEF…
SUMMARY:
THERE HAVE BEEN MANY ACCIDENTS CAUSED BY MODEL S REAR SUSPENSION COMING LOOSE. I HAVE ARCHIVED THE AUCTION DETAILS AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF THIS PARTICULAR EXAMPLE. THE CAR DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN A CRASH BUT THE PHOTOGRAPHS SHOR THE REAR WHEEL AND AXLE HAS TORN LOOSE AN IS JAMMED IN THE WHEEL ARCH AT 90 DEGREES. THE FRACTURED SUSPENSION ARMS ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE. YOU CAN FIND THE ADVERT IN GOOGLE CACHE SALVAGE RESELLER DAMAGED 2014 TESLA MODEL S .0L LOT # 23807485 YOU CAN FIND THE CLOSE UP PHOTOGRAPH ON MY FACEBOOK ALBUM [XXX] — FACEBOOK THERE ARE SEVERAL MORE TESLAS WITH THE SAME FAILURE CURRENTLY UP FOR SALE ON THE COPART WEBSITE. HERE IS A CLASSIC ONE… 4000 MILES, NOT EVEN DUE ITS FIRST SERVICE AND THE WHEEL FELL OFF COPART AUTO AUCTIONS DAMAGED 2015 TESLA MODEL S .0L LOT # 30043205 THERE HAS BEEN A DELIBERATE COVER UP BY TESLA OF THIS LETHAL DEFECT. I CAN SUPPLY PLENTY MORE EXAMPLES. THANK YOU [XXX] PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE SUPPLIED A FICTITIOUS USA ADDRESS BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOUR SYSTEM WILL NOT ACCEPT MY COMPLAINT. I AM NOT A US RESIDENT OR A TESLA OWNER. I AM A CONCERNED CITIZEN TRYING TO PREVENT FURTHER ACCIDENTS BEING CAUSED BY THIS DEFECT. INFORMATION REDACTED PURSUANT TO THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6). *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 06/13/2015Date of Incident: 02/04/2014Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10725110Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H11EF…
SUMMARY:
THIS CAR IS UP FOR SALE AS A TOTAL WRITE OFF SALVAGE. HTTPS://WWW.EASYEXPORT.US/VEHICLE-FINDER/LOT-14402615/2014-TESLA-TESLA-CERTIFICATE-OF-DESTRUCTION-FL-WEST-PALM-BEACH FROM THE PHOTOGRAPHS IT APPEARS THAT THE CAUSE OF THE DAMAGE IS THAT THE REAR SUSPENSION HAS SHEARED OFF THE VEHICLE. THIS IS THE DEFECT SAME AS HAS BEEN REPORTED ON SEVERAL THREADS EG HTTP://MY.TESLAMOTORS.COM/FORUM/FORUMS/MODEL-S-PULLS-LEFT-PLEASE-READ THERE ARE OTHER REPORTS OF ACCIDENTS IN WHICH THE REAR SUSPENSION HAS BECOME DETACHED FROM THE MODEL S. HTTP://JALOPNIK.COM/TESLA-MODEL-S-TOTALLED-IN-VIOLENT-NEW-YORK-CRASH-1444083171 THIS WAS NOT A CRASH, THE VEHICLE FELL TO THE ROADWAY AFTER THE SUSPENSION FELL OFF. TESLA HAS A CULTURE OF DENIAL AND COVER UP. CONSIDERING THE VERY SMALL NUMBER OF CARS PRODUCED THE NUMBER OF ACCIDENTS IS EXTREMELY ALARMING.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/18/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10897007Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H29FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ANOTHER TESLA IN THE SALVAGE YARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/30997056?SEARCHID=1887217407 THERE IS LITTLE SIGN OF COLLISION DAMAGE BUT THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS FALLEN APART AND THE WHEEL HAS BEEN TORN INTO PIECES WHILST IT WAS STILL ROTATING. THE STEEL BUMPER BAR FORWARD OF THE WHEEL IS COMPLETELY UNDAMAGED WHICH MAKES IT UNLIKELY THAT THE WHEEL WAS STRUCK FROM THE FRONT. IT IS QUITE POSSIBLE THAT ALL OF THE DAMAGE CAUSED TO THE FRONT END IS SIMPLY THE RESULT OF THE SUSPENSION FAILURE. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY OF THESE FAILURES IN PROPORTION TO THE SMALL NUMBER OF TESLAS THAT HAVE BEEN SOLD. IMAGE SEARCHES ON OTHER BRANDS OF CAR DO NOT SHOW UP ANY OTHER INSTANCES OF WHEELS GETTING SLICED INTO PIECES SIMILAR TO WHAT IS HAPPENING REPEATEDLY ON THE TESLAS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS PROBLEM. NOTE: DATE OF INCIDENT IS AN APPROXIMATION.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/17/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10896698Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E24FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA THAT HAS BEEN IN A MAJOR COLLISION. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22773780&ROWID=7&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THE RH TIRE IS PARTIALLY PEELED OFF THE RIM. I WOULD BE UNUSUAL FOR A TIRE TO BE PEELED OFF THE RIM AS A RESULT OF A DIRECT FRONTAL IMPACT, ESPECIALLY IF THE WHEEL ITSELF IS NOT DAMAGED. GIVEN THE FACT THAT MANY PHOTOGRAPHS OF CRASHED TESLAS SHOW BROKEN SUSPENSION PARTS AND PEELED OFF TIRES I THINK YOU SHOULD INVESTIGATE THIS CRASH TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE TIRE DAMAGE WAS THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH. I AM FILING THESE REPORTS AS A CONCERNED CITIZEN WHO SHARES THE ROADS WITH THESE VEHICLES. THE DATE OF THE INCIDENT IS JUST AN APPROXIMATION. THE NUMBER OF INJURIES IS JUST A GUESS BASED ON THE SEVERITY OF THE DAMAGE. IF YOU DO NOT WISH ME TO SUBMIT ANY FURTHER REPORTS YOU CAN CONTACT ME VIA EMAIL AND ASK ME TO DESIST.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/12/2016Date of Incident: 06/07/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10895464Consumer Location: Unknown
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:3 Number of Deaths:1
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H22FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A REPORT OF A FATAL CRASH IN HAWAII. HTTP://WWW.STARADVERTISER.COM/BREAKING-NEWS/MAUI-WOMAN-DIES-IN-HEAD-ON-CRASH-IN-PAIA/ HERE IS THE WRECKED TESLA FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/26810486?SEARCHID=935758582 THE FRONT RH SIDE IS BADLY DAMAGED AND THE WHEEL IS MISSING. THIS MAY BE HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY THE COLLISION WITH THE NISSAN. THE REAR LH WHEEL IS BENT OVER AT AN EXTREME ANGLE WHICH IS TYPICAL OF REAR SUSPENSION BREAKAGE ON THE TESLA. THERE IS NO IMPACT DAMAGE TO THE LH REAR OF THE CAR THAT WOULD ACCOUNT FOR THE WHEEL BEING SLANTED OVER. CAN YOU PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE POSSIBILITY THAT THE PROBLEM WITH THE REAR WHEEL WAS A CONTRIBUTING CAUSE TO THE CRASH.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/06/2016Date of Incident: 07/20/2016Component(s): AIR BAGS , STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10893767Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E43FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA MODEL S IN THE WRECKING YARD. THE FRONT TIRE IS WRENCHED OFF THE RIM AND THIS APPEARS TO HAVE HAPPENED WHILE THE CAR WAS STILL ROLLING FORWARD. EVEN THOUGH THERE HAS BEEN A MAJOR COLLISION THE AIR-BAGS HAVE NOT DEPLOYED. I HAVE PUT TOGETHER A COLLECTION OF PHOTOGRAPHS OF STEERING AND SUSPENSION COMPONENTS FROM TESLA CARS. HTTP://TESLABEARS.CLUB/T/NO-WONDER-THE-WHEELS-SNAP-OFF/68 THE STANDARD OF CONSTRUCTION IS IN MY OPINION ABSOLUTELY APPALLING. TESLA HAS GAINED THE REPUTATION OF BEING THE SAFEST CAR IN THE WORLD. I AM CONVINCED THAT REPUTATION IS MERELY THE RESULT OF TESLA PR HYPE AND THE MYTH IS PERPETUATED BY TESLA ENTHUSIASTS AND INVESTORS. THE NUMBER OF CRASHED TESLAS SHOWING UP IN THE SALVAGE YARDS IS OUT OF ALL PROPORTION TO THE NUMBER OF VEHICLES ON THE ROADS. PLEASE START AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE CAUSES OF ALL THESE CRASHES.

Date Complaint Filed: 07/20/2016Date of Incident: 06/01/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10886251Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA4H45FF…
SUMMARY:
ANOTHER TESLA IN THE JUNKYARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/22864206?SEARCHID=1540816254 THERE IS NO COLLISION DAMAGE TO THE CAR BUR THE ENTIRE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS SNAPPED OFF. THIS IS AN AWD MODEL AND SHOULD BE EXPECTED TO HAVE A STRONGER SUSPENSION TO COPE WITH THE ADDED WEIGHT AND POWER. THIS IS CLEARLY NOT THE CASE BECAUSE THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS HAVE SNAPPED OFF PLEASE LOOK AT THIS CAR AS PART OF YOUR INVESTIGATION INTO POTENTIAL DEFECTS IN THE TESLA SUSPENSION

Date Complaint Filed: 07/06/2016Date of Incident: 05/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10882890Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E43FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA IN THE WRECKING YARD HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22383879&ROWID=5&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE FRONT TIRE HAS BEEN WRENCHED OFF THE RIM AND HAS THE TREAD GOUGED AWAY. THIS LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER CASE OF COLLAPSED SUSPENSION WITH BROKEN SUSPENSION ARM PEELING OFF THE TIRE BEFORE THE COLLISION.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/28/2016Date of Incident: 05/06/2016Component(s): SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10877039Consumer Location: DANVILLE, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S18FF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS DRIVING THE 2015 TESLA MODEL S , WEST BOUND ON I-80 APPROACHING THE BAY BRIDGE IN SAN FRANCISCO FROM OAKLAND , I HEARD S TRANCE SQUEAKY NOISE COMING FROM THE REAR OF MY CAR & I PULLED OVER THAT SAW THE LEFT REAR TIRE & WHEEL LOOKED TILTED , IT APPEARED THE WHEELS & SUSPENSION OF THE CAR HAD FAILED SUSPENSION FAILED . I CALLED TESLA ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AT 2:30 PM ASKING FOR HELP , THE ANSWERING SERVICE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO HELP THE TESLA WAS ARGUING WITH ME OVER THE PHONE THAT THIS ISSUE MAY NOT BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY AND I MAY NEED TO PAY FOR THE TOWING COST & REPAIR COST. THEY REFUSED TO HELP ME IN ANYWAY TO BRING THE CAR TO THEIR SERVICE . I CALLED A TOWING SERVICE & HAD THE CAR TOWED AT MY OWN EXPENSE AFTER THE LONG NEVER ENDING WAITING & TERRIBLE TRAFFIC OF FRIDAY AFTERNOON . I GOT THE CAR TOWED TO THE TESLA SERVICE IN DUBLIN CALIFORNIA . THEY TOOK MY CAR IN FRIDAY EVENING. THE NEXT MONDAY THEY CALLED AND SAID THE LEFT REAR AXLE & WHEEL ARE BROKEN . THE COST TO REPAIR $13,000. THEY DENIED THAT THIS IS WARRANTY ISSUE . MY INSURANCE PAID FOR THIS OUTRAGEOUS REPAIR COST . IT TOOK 3 WEEKS FOR THEM TO FIX THE AXLE & THE WHEEL . I AM NOT CONFIDENT THAT THIS CAR IS SAFE TO DRIVE . THE TESLA COSTUMER SERVICE IS TERRIBLE , THEY ARE UNHELPFUL , CHEAP & LEAVE THE COSTUMER HIGH & DRY IN A CRISIS . THEY DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CAR PARTS FAILURE & WARRANTY ISSUES . I HAD NEVER EXPERIENCED BROKEN WHEELS OR AXLES IN MY 20 YEARS OF DRIVING .

Date Complaint Filed: 06/27/2016Date of Incident: 05/10/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10876720Consumer Location: Unknown
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:4 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): UNKOWN…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE TESLA THAT RECENTLY CRASHED IN GERMANY. HTTP://WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM/CARS/TESLA-S-ACCIDENT-SURVIVORS-GERMANY/ TESLA CLAIMS THAT THIS CRASH DEMONSTRATES THE REMARKABLE SAFETY OF THE CAR BECAUSE THE TEENAGE OCCUPANTS ESCAPED WITH THEIR LIVES. CLOSE EXAMINATION OF THE PHOTOGRAPH SHOWS THAT THE TREAD OF THE RH TIRE HAS BEEN WORN AWAY WHILST THE WHEEL WAS STILL ROTATING AND THAT THIS CAN ONLY HAVE OCCURRED WHILST THE CAR WAS STILL DRIVING ON A BITUMEN HIGHWAY AND NOT AFTER GOING OFF ROAD. I BELIEVE THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF SUSPENSION FAILURES CAUSING CRASHES.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/24/2016Date of Incident: 05/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10876517Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H28FF…
SUMMARY:
ANOTHER MODEL S IN THE JUNKYARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/23726316?SEARCHID=1302071014 FRONT SUSPENSION TWISTED AND BENT. NO COLLISION DAMAGE FORWARD OF THE WHEEL THAT COULD HAVE CAUSE THE SUSPENSION TO BE DAMAGED LIKE THAT. PLEASE ADD THIS TO THE LIST OF SUSPENSION FAILURES

Date Complaint Filed: 06/21/2016Date of Incident: 09/23/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10875694Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): Not Available
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A NEWSPAPER REPORT FROM GERMANY. HTTP://WWW.ECHO-ONLINE.DE/LOKALES/BERGSTRASSE/KREIS-BERGSTRASSE/ZWEI-MAENNER-NACH-VERKEHRSUNFALL-IN-AUTO-EINGEKLEMMT_16183699.HTM TWO MEN SERIOUSLY INJURED WHEN MODEL S SWERVED OFF ROAD. THE SNAPPED OFF FRONT SUSPENSION WITH HALF THE WHEEL ATTACHED IS LYING ON THE GROUND 10 METRES IN FRONT OF THE CAR. THE WHEEL HAS BEEN SLICED IN HALF WHILST STILL ROTATING. THE REPORT STATES THAT THE CAR WAS TRAVELLING ON A STRAIGHT SECTION OF THE FREEWAY, BRAKED FOR ROADWORKS AND SUDDENLY VEERED OFF ROAD. PLEASE ADD THIS TO THE LIST OF CRASHES THAT SEEM TO HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY COLLAPSING SUSPENSIONS

Date Complaint Filed: 06/16/2016Date of Incident: 06/10/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10874736Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ONE OF MANY THREADS IN WHICH TESLA OWNERS COMPLAIN OF RAPID AND UNEVEN TIRE WEAR. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/OK-TIRE-WEAR-IS-PAST-RIDICULOUS-PHOTO-ATTACHED.71844/ THERE IS A PHOTO (ATTACHED) SHOWING TIRES WORN DOWN TO THE CORDS ON THE HIDDEN INSIDE EDGE AFTER ONLY 5000 MILES. IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT OWNERS WOULD BE UNAWARE OF THIS PROBLEM UNTIL THE TIRE FINALLY BLOWS OUT WHICH COULD EASILY CAUSE A CRASH. THIS PROBLEM IS VERY COMMON AND OWNERS ARE RESORTING TO EXTREMELY DANGEROUS DIY MODIFICATIONS TO REDUCE TIRE WEAR. THESE MODIFICATIONS ARE PROBABLY ILLEGAL AND COULD CAUSE INSTABILITY. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/INSTALLED-ADJUSTABLE-REAR-CAMBER-LINKS-TO-REDUCE-REAR-TIRE-WEAR.38524/ HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/UPPER-REAR-LINK-BUILD-REDUCES-REAR-CAMBER-TO-IMPROVE-TIRE-WEAR.20378/ PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM A CONCERNED CITIZEN FROM OUTSIDE USA AND HAVE ENETERED A FICTITIOUS ADDRES TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. MY CORRECT NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS HAVE BEEN SUPPLIED TO YOU. I UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS LEGAL FOR A CONCERNED CITIZEN THAT IS NOT A TESLA OWNER AND NOT A US RESIDENT TO FILE A COMPLAINT AND THAT I AM NOT ACTING FRAUDULENTLY IN ANY WAY.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/15/2016Date of Incident: 03/02/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10874306Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A WEBSITE FROM CHINA WHICH SHOWS A TESLA IN THE MIDDLE OF A CITY WHERE IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO TRAVEL AT HIGH SPEED. HTTP://CHUANSONG.ME/N/301825551833 THE BACK SUSPENSION HAS COMPLETELY TORN AWAY. THIS IS A HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOGRAPH AND YOU CAN SEE THAT THE TREAD HAS BEEN TOTALLY WORN OFF THE TIRE AND IT HAS PARTIALLY MELTED FROM THE HEAT. A CHINESE SPEAKER WOULD BE ABLE TO GET MORE INFORMATION FROM THE WEBSITE THAN I CAN GET BY USING GOOGLE TRANSLATE. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/10/2016Date of Incident: 05/09/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10873557Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H15FF…
SUMMARY:
ANOTHER MODEL S WITH THE BACK WHEEL SKEWED AT A CRAZY ANGLE. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22250192&ROWID=11&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# IT APPEARS THAT THE AIR SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED CAUSING ALL OF THE WHEELS TO BE JAMMED UP IN THE WHEEL WELLS. PLEASE CONTINUE WITH YOUR INVESTIGATIONS INTO THIS MATTER. WHILST THE LETTER OF THE TESLA NDAS DO NOT SPECIFICALLY PROHIBIT OWNERS REPORTING FAULTS TO NHTSA THE SPIRIT OF THE AGREEMENT WOULD PROBABLY DISSUADE OWNERS FROM REPORTING PROBLEMS.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/10/2016Date of Incident: 05/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10873556Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H44FF…
SUMMARY:
THIS 2015 TESLA MODEL S WITH JUST 7000 MILES ON THE ODOMETER HAS JUST ARRIVED IN THE SALVAGE YARD. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21562496&ROWID=1&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS IT APPEARS THAT THE AIR SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED. THERE IS NO COLLISION DAMAGE BUT THE DRIVER AIRBAG HAS DEPLOYED SUGGESTING THAT THE CAR HAD A SUDDEN EXTREME DECELERATION. OWNERS HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ON THE FORUMS THAT THEIR AIR SUSPENSIONS HAVE COLLAPSED AND THAT THE TESLA DOES NOT HAVE BUMP STOPS TO PREVENT THE SUSPENSION BOTTOMING OUT AND THE WHEELS JAMMING IN THE WHEEL WELLS. EXAMPLE: AIR SUSPENSION FAILURE WITH VERY UNPLEASANT RESULTS | TESLA MOTORS HTTPS://FORUMS.TESLAMOTORS.COM/EN_AU/.../AIR-SUSPENSION-FAILURE-VERY-UNPLEASANT-RESUL… JUL 30, 2015 - FIRST THE GOOD PART: TESLA 1-800 ROADSIDE FOLKS WERE VERY GOOD, THE TOW-TRUCK DRIVER WAS VERY GOOD, AND THE SERVICE CENTER WAS VERY GOOD. TESLA CLAIMS IN A BLOG POST THAT THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE OK BY TESLA AND THERE HAS BEEN NO PROBLEM FOUND WITH THE SUSPENSION. HTTPS://WWW.TESLAMOTORS.COM/BLOG/GRAIN-OF-SALT I AM DISINCLINED TO BELIEVE THAT IS THE CASE. PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/25/2016Date of Incident: 05/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10870896Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S25FF…
SUMMARY:
ANOTHER MODEL S WITH A BROKEN FRONT SUSPENSION STEERING KNUCKLE. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/EN/LOT/23161406 THERE IS NO DAMAGE TO THE WHEEL AND NO IMPACT DAMAGE TO THE CAR THAT WOULD EXPLAIN THE COMPONENTS SNAPPING OFF. BY MAGNIFYING THE PHOTOGRAPH OF THE FRONT RH WHEEL IT IS POSSIBLE TO SEE THAT THERE IS A DEEP GROOVE WORN INTO THE TIRE WHICH IS WELL BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE TREAD ON THE UNDAMAGED PORTION OF THE TIRE. IT IS ALMOST CERTAIN THAT THIS DAMAGE WAS CAUSED WHILST THE CAR WAS STILL ROLLING FORWARD AND WAS MOST LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT. THERE IS A PATTERN OF FAILURE IN THE TESLA WHICH SEEMS TO BE CAUSED BY WEAK ALLOY SUSPENSION COMPONENTS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS MATTER.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/09/2016Date of Incident: 02/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10863851Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E27FF…
SUMMARY:
THIS IS YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF A TESLA MODEL S WITH THE SUSPENSION FALLEN APART. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21706777&ROWID=11&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THIS CAR HAS ONLY TRAVELLED 2000 MILES FROM NEW. YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE BROKEN PARTS OF THE SUSPENSION. THE WHEEL AND TIRE ARE UNDAMAGED. THIS FAILURE CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE THE RESULT OF IMPACT DAMAGE AND WAS ALMOST CERTAINLY THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT. TESLA OFFERS OWNERS OF CARS THAT HAVE HAD SUSPENSION FAILURES A “GOODWILL PAYMENT” IN RETURN FOR SIGNING A NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT. THERE HAVE BEEN HUNDREDS OF SIMILAR SUSPENSION FAILURES ON TESLAS BUT VERY FEW OWNERS HAVE FILED COMPLAINTS. HERE IS AN OWNER WHOSE FRONT SUSPENSION FELL APART AND HE WAS CONCERNED THAT THE FAULT MIGHT AFFECT MANY OTHER CARS IN THE WORLDWIDE FLEET OF TESLAS. GPCORDARO, APR 28, 2016 WHILE DRIVING ON A BACK ROAD AT A VERY LOW RATE OF SPEED, ABOUT 5 MPH. THE ROAD WAS ROUGH SO MY AIR RIDE WAS AT IT MAX LIFT. AS I WAS PROCEEDING DOWN A STEEP HILL I HEARD A SNAP AND FELT MY STEERING WHEEL PULL TO THE LEFT. I STOPPED THE CAR FOR FURTHER INSPECTION ONLY TO DISCOVER THAT MY LEFT FRONT HUB ASSEMBLY SEPARATED FROM THE UPPER CONTROL ARM. THIS COULD HAVE BEEN A TRAGIC ACCIDENT CAUSING INJURY OR EVEN DEATH. TESLA JUST INFORMED THAT THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, STATING THAT THE CAUSE WAS DUE TO NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR. I HAVE OWNED MANY CARS IN MY LIFE AND HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED SUCH A FAILURE. ******* AND THEN HE ACCEPTED THE OFFER AND SIGNED THE NDA. ******* GPCORDARO, SATURDAY AT 4:52 AM THIS IS THE LAST POST I WILL MAKE ON THIS SUBJECT. TESLA AND I HAVE COME TO TERMS. I AM NOT AT LIBERTY TO DISCUSS THE TERMS, I CAN ONLY SAY THAT I AM SATISFIED. I BELIEVE THAT TESLA IS COVERING UP THE SUSPENSION FAILURES. PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/27/2016Date of Incident: 04/04/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10861880Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
THIS A FRESH EXAMPLE OF THE SUSPENSION BREAKING COMPLETELY LOOSE. CAR WAS INVOLVED IN A MINOR COLLISION WITH A HONDA BUT THE REAR SUSPENSION OF THE TESLA HAS COMPLETELY TORN AWAY. THIS MAY WELL HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH. NOTE THAT WHEN THE ENTIRE SUSPENSION IS TORN LOOSE LIKE THIS THE HYDRAULIC HOSES WILL BE BROKEN AND LEAD TO TOTAL BRAKE FAILURE. THE REPORT IS ON A FORUM IN CHINA. THIS IS AN AMERICAN MADE CAR SOLD ALL OVER THE WORLD. OWNERS IN CHINA HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING OF MANY CASES OF SUSPENSION FAILURES. HTTP://CLUB.AUTOHOME.COM.CN/BBS/THREAD-C-2357-51626688-1.HTML THE WHEEL AND TIRE ARE UNDAMAGED. THERE IS NO COLLISION DAMAGE THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THE WHEEL FALLING OFF. THE TRANSLATION OF THE THREAD SHOWS THAT THE OWNER IS COMPLAINING OF A WEAK SUSPENSION THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE FALLEN OFF. PLEASE LOOK AT THE OVERALL PICTURE. THERE ARE SO MANY CASES OF SIMILAR FAILURES THAT PROVE A DANGEROUS DEFECT THAT AN INVESTIGATION BY NHTSA NEEDS TO BE OPENED…

Date Complaint Filed: 04/18/2016Date of Incident: 02/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10859992Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H15FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA MODEL S IN THE WRECKERS YARD WITH HEAVY FRONT END DAMAGE. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/17976436?SEARCHID=1110743839 THE REAR OF THE CAR APPEARS TO BE COMPLETELY UNDAMAGED EXCEPT THAT BOTH REAR WHEELS ARE SPLAYED OUTWARDS AT AN EXTREME ANGLE. THE ALLOY COMPONENTS ARE TOO WEAK FOR THE LOADS IMPOSED BY THIS HIGH POWERED ELECTRIC VEHICLE. IT IS FAR MORE LIKELY THAT THE SKEWED REAR WHEELS CAUSED THE CRASH RATHER THAN BEING DAMAGED DURING THE CRASH. THE REAR WHEELS AND TIRES ARE UNDAMAGED AND HAVE NOT SUFFERED ANY IMPACT. PLEASE NOTE: FICTITIOUS ADDRESS USED TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. I AM UNSURE IF ACTUAL INJURY RESULTED BUT FROM THE SEVERITY OF THE DAMAGE IT ALMOST CERTAINLY DID.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/14/2016Date of Incident: 02/20/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10855398Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E11FF…
SUMMARY:
YET ANOTHER TESLA MODEL S WITH THE SUSPENSION BROKEN AND THE WHEEL COMPLETELY FALLEN OFF. CAR HAS ONLY TRAVELLED 500 MILES AND HAS NOT BEEN IN A CRASH. NO IMPACT DAMAGE THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THE SUSPENSION BREAKING LOOSE. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/35327875 NOT ONLY ARE THERE MULTIPLE FAILURES LIKE THIS BUT THERE APPEARS TO BE A DETERMINED EFFORT TO SUPPRESS REPORTING OF THE ISSUE. HERE ARE LINKS TO THE CACHED VERSION OF A FORUM THREAD WITH OWNERS REPORT AND PHOTOGRAPHS OF BROKEN SUSPENSION PARTS. PAGE 1 HTTPS://WEBCACHE.GOOGLEUSERCONTENT.COM/SEARCH?Q=CACHE:WOGHKXVBYX0J:HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/THE-REAR-AXLE-SHAFT-BROKEN-WITHOUT-REASON.67935/+&CD=1&HL=EN&CT=CLNK&GL=AU PAGE 2 HTTPS://WEBCACHE.GOOGLEUSERCONTENT.COM/SEARCH?Q=CACHE:DS6C8VTD4LCJ:HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/THE-REAR-AXLE-SHAFT-BROKEN-WITHOUT-REASON.67935/PAGE-2+&CD=1&HL=EN&CT=CLNK&GL=AU PAGE 3 HTTPS://WEBCACHE.GOOGLEUSERCONTENT.COM/SEARCH?Q=CACHE:RHDCHCNZHBYJ:HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/THE-REAR-AXLE-SHAFT-BROKEN-WITHOUT-REASON.67935/PAGE-3+&CD=1&HL=EN&CT=CLNK&GL=AU THE THREAD HAS BEEN DELETED DESPITE IT BEING OF VITAL IMPORTANCE TO WARN OF THE DANGERS. I INTEND TO REPORT THIS SITUATION TO THE FBI BECAUSE I BELIEVE IT FALLS WITHIN THEIR JURISDICTION PLEASE TAKE ACTION BEFORE THERE IS A FATAL ACCIDENT. . PLEASE NOTE: FICTITIOUS USA ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER USED TO SUIT YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. MY GENUINE EMAIL AND CONTACT DETAILS HAVE BEEN PROVIDED ON THIS SUBMISSION

Date Complaint Filed: 04/01/2016Date of Incident: 02/02/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10852868Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E27FF…
SUMMARY:
THIS CAR IS FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21706777&ROWID=8&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE REAR SUSPENSION HAS COMPLETELY TORN AWAY AND ALL THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS ARE SHEARED OFF. THERE IS NO IMPACT DAMAGE THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THIS. THERE APPEARS TO BE A PATTERN OF FAILURE IN THE TESLA SUSPENSION COMPONENTS BOTH FRONT AND REAR. THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS ARE MADE OF HOLLOW ALUMINUM EXTRUSIONS AND SEEM TO HAVE INSUFFICIENT MARGIN OF SAFETY TO COPE WITH THE HIGH POWER AND HEAVY WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS URGENTLY. NOTE: FICTITIOUS ADDRESS USED TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. MY CORRECT CONTACT DETAILS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS FORM SUBMISSION.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/01/2016Date of Incident: 02/02/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10852853Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E44FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA MODEL S IN THE WRECKING YARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/14952156?SEARCHID=1571797569 THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS BROKEN AND THE WHEEL HAS BEEN SLICED IN HALF WHILE IT WAS STILL ROTATING. THIS EFFECT CAN BE SEEN IN MANY WRECKED TESLAS. NORMALLY IT WOULD BE EXPECTED THAT THE BRAKES WOULD BE APPLIED HARD PRIOR TO A COLLISION AND THEREFORE THE WHEEL WOULD NOT HAVE REVOLVED SUFFICIENTLY TO PARE THE WHEEL IN HALF. THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS IN THIS CAR ARE MADE FROM HOLLOW EXTRUDED ALUMINUM AND IT SEEMS PROBABLE THAT THERE IS NOT SUFFICIENT MARGIN OF SAFETY FOR SUCH A HEAVY HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR. PLEASE LOOK AT ALL THE EXAMPLE OF SIMILAR FAULTS ON FLICKR HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/SETS/72157661343139261/ PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS TO PREVENT FURTHER ACCIDENTS. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 03/10/2016Date of Incident: 02/15/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10845878Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S22FF…
SUMMARY:
THIS VEHICLE IS UP FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. THE TIP OF THE STEERING KNUCKLE HAS SNAPPED OFF AGAIN IN THE SAME WAY AS MANY OTHER INCIDENTS. THIS BROKEN PART APPEARS TO BE THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH AND NOT THE RESULT OF IT. THIS PART IS WEAK AND IS FAILING REPEATEDLY PUTTING THE PUBLIC AT RISK. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21255219&ROWID=8&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS

Date Complaint Filed: 02/26/2016Date of Incident: 01/04/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10838692Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H10FF…
SUMMARY:
PLEASE NOTE, I AM NOT MAKING FRIVOLOUS COMPLAINTS. I AM TRYING TO ALERT YOU TO A PATTERN OF FAILURE WITH THE TESLA SUSPENSION COMPONENTS. THIS CAR HAS HAD THE ENTIRE BACK WHEEL AND REAR SUSPENSION COMPONENTS TORN OUT BACKWARDS THROUGH THE BODYWORK. THERE IS NO COLLISION DAMAGE FORWARD OF THE WHEEL THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS.

Date Complaint Filed: 02/13/2016Date of Incident: 01/04/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10826008Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S22FF…
SUMMARY:
I AM RAISING THIS AS A MAJOR SAFETY CONCERN IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST. THIS CAR IS FOR SALE AT A SALVAGE AUCTION. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21255219&ROWID=10&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THE TIP OF THE STEERING KNUCKLE HAS SNAPPED OFF AT THE SAME POINT OF WEAKNESS AS HAS HAPPENED IN MANY OTHER INCIDENTS. THE FACT THAT THIS IS A 2015 CAR SHOWS THAT THE DESIGN/MANUFACTURING DEFECT HAS NOT BEEN RECTIFIED. THE WHEEL AND TIRE ARE RELATIVELY UNDAMAGED. THE PATTERN OF FAILURE POINTS TO THIS WEAKNESS BEING THE CAUSE OF CRASHES AND NOT DAMAGE THAT OCCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE CRASH. FAILURE OF THIS PART UNDER BRAKING LOAD WOULD CAUSE THE CASTOR ANGLE TO GO BADLY WRONG AND CAUSE THE WHEEL TO VIOLENTLY SWING TO ONE SIDE. THE STEERING ROD IS FRACTURED IN MANY CASES AND IT IS LIKELY THAT THE SHARP END OF THE BROKEN ROD SPEARING INTO THE WHEEL RIM IS THE CAUSE OF SO MANY SLICED WHEELS AS SHOWN IN FLICKR ALBUMS. HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/ALBUMS/WITH/72157664301101256 ONCE AGAIN, I AM REPORTING THIS TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC. THESE CARS ARE ON THE ROADS ALL OVER THE WORLD AND PRESENT A SERIOUS DANGER TO THE PUBLIC. I HAVE USED A FICTITIOUS USA ADDRESS TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS

Date Complaint Filed: 10/31/2015Date of Incident: 07/01/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10787423Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H48FF…
SUMMARY:
THIS CAR IS UP FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=20015788&ROWID=2&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED AND THE FRONT WHEEL HS BEEN SLICED IN HALF BY A SUSPENSION COMPONENT WHILST THE CAR WAS STILL IN MOTION. THE OTHER WHEELS ON THE CAR ARE SKEWED OR MISSING. SAME, WHEEL SLICED IN HALF EFFECT CAN BE SEEN ON THIS OTHER CAR WHICH SUBSEQUENTLY CAUGHT FIRE. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=19224036&ROWID=1&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS THERE ARE MANY OTHER CASES OF MODEL S WHEELS BECOMING SKEWED OR DETACHED. EXAMPLE HTTP://WWW.INAUTONEWS.COM/CRASHED-TESLA-MODEL-S-SPOTTED-IN-CALIFORNIA THIS FORUM POST MAY PERHAPS EXPLAIN THE PROBLEM HTTP://MY.TESLAMOTORS.COM/FORUM/FORUMS/AIR-SUSPENSION-FAILURE-VERY-UNPLEASANT-RESULTS “THE RIGHT FRONT AIR STRUT FAILED DUE TO A LEAK WHICH CAUSED THE WHOLE FRONT OF THE CAR TO DROP SO MUCH THAT THE WHEELS WERE RUBBING AGAINST THE INSIDE OF THE WHEEL WELL, AND THE FRONT OF THE CAR WAS RUBBING ON THE GROUND.” PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE SUPPLIED A DUMMY USA ADDRESS IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO FILE THIS COMPLAINT. I AM NOT A US RESIDENT BUT TESLAS ARE SOLD IN MY COUNTRY AND I AM VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THE DANGER POSED BY THIS VEHICLE.

Date Complaint Filed: 10/21/2015Date of Incident: 09/02/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10785214Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S27FF…
SUMMARY:
PLEASE DON’T THINK I AM MAKING FRIVOLOUS COMPLAINTS. THERE IS A PATTERN OF SUSPENSION FAILURES. THIS ONE HAS RESULTED IN A VERY SERIOUS CRASH. 2015 TESLA 70D IS FOR SALE AT SALVAGE COMPANY IAAI. HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLES/VEHICLEDETAILS.ASPX?ITEMID=20460578&ROWNUMBER=2&LOADRECENT=TRUE IT HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A MAJOR NOSE-TAIL CRASH. THE BACK WHEEL IS SKEWED OVER IN THE SAME MANNER AS THE OTHER DAMAGED CARS THAT I HAVE REPORTED TO YOU. THERE IS ZERO DAMAGE IN THAT AREA OF THE CAR AND NO REASON FOR THE WHEEL TO BE SKEWED LIKE THAT. AN INVESTIGATOR THAT WAS UNAWARE OF THE STRING OF SIMILAR EVENTS MAY HAVE OVERLOOKED THE SKEWED WHEEL AND ASSUMED IT WAS JUST ANOTHER TAIL-ENDER ACCIDENT. A POSSIBLE SCENARIO IS THAT THE WHEEL SKEWED SIDEWAY AND CAUSED A SUDDEN STOP WITHOUT BRAKE LIGHTS COMING ON. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS BECAUSE THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY CASES OF SUSPENSION FAILURE WHICH POINTS TO A DESIGN WEAKNESS.

Date Complaint Filed: 10/20/2015Date of Incident: 09/01/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10783859Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Crash:Yes Fire:Yes Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H27FF…
SUMMARY:
PLEASE NOTE I HAVE USED A FICTITIOUS ADDRESS TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE WEBSITE. I AM NOT A US RESIDENT, JUST A CONCERNED CITIZEN I HAVE ALREADY REPORTED THAT THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE TESLA REAR SUSPENSION AND I AM FINDING SEVERAL CASE WHERE THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS FAILED AND CAUSED A CRASH. THIS VEHICLE HAS CRASHED AND BURNED AND IS FOR SALE AS SALVAGE. HTTPS://WWW.IAAI.COM/VEHICLES/VEHICLEDETAILS.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=19224036&ROWNUMBER=0&LOADRECENT=TRUE I HAVE ENLARGED THE IMAGES AND YOU CAN SEE THAT THE LH SUSPENSION HAS COME APART AND THE SUSPENSION ARM IS LYING ON THE GROUND. THE FRONT STEEL SAFETY GIRDER IS UNDAMAGED SO THE SUSPENSION COULD NOT HAVE BEEN DAMAGED BY HITTING AN OBJECT. THE RIM AND SPOKES OF THE WHEEL ARE INTACT ALSO. THE CRASH(?) CAUSED A FIRE IN THE BATTERY PACK. I BELIEVE THESE CARS POSE A SERIOUS RISK TO THE DRIVER AND OTHER ROAD USERS.

Date Complaint Filed: 10/18/2015Date of Incident: 10/17/2015Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10783186Consumer Location: BEVERLY HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H21FF…
SUMMARY:
PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE SUPPLIED THE VIN OF A DIFFERENT CAR IN ORDER TO BE ABLE TO FILE THIS REPORT. I HAVE ALSO SUPPLIED A MADE UP ADDRESS BUT ONLY BECAUSE I NEEDED TO SO AS TO COMPLY WITH THE WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS. I HAVE REPORTED PREVIOUSLY THAT THE SUSPENSIONS OF THE TESLA MODEL S HAVE A DESIGN WEAKNESS. HERE IS FURTHER PROOF. THIS REPORT WAS POSTED ON THE TESLA MOTOR FORUM TODAY AND SHOWS A PHOTOGRAPH OF A CAR WHOSE SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED AFTER RUNNING OVER A POTHOLE. THIS POTHOLE WAS NOT BAD ENOUGH TO DAMAGE THE CAR, THE WHEEL OR THE TIRE BUT THE SUSPENSION HAS COLLAPSED AND CANTED OVER AT A SEVERE ANGLE. I’LL QUOTE FROM THE POST IN CASE IT GETS DELETED FROM THE FORUM. (I’VE SAVED A COPY) POTHOLE IN VIDOR TEXAS TOOK THE P85 DOWN THIS WAS GOING TO BE AN AWESOME ROAD TRIP NOTE, BUT UNFORTUNATELY INSTEAD IT’S A TALE OF CAUTION. ON MILE ~800 OF THE TRIP, WE FOLLOWED THE GPS DIRECTIONS TO GET OFF THE HIGHWAY TO SKIP SOME TRAFFIC. UNFORTUNATELY THE EXPECTED ON RAMP WAS CLOSED, SO WE ENDED UP ON A POORLY MAINTAINED STRETCH OF FEEDER ROAD JUST OUTSIDE VIDOR. RIGHT AFTER THE FORCED U-TURN SO WE DIDN’T END UP IN THE NECHES RIVER, I AVOIDED A POTHOLE ONLY TO HIT ANOTHER… AND THIS ONE WAS BAD. SO BAD, IN FACT, THAT WE BECAME ONE OF THREE CARS WITH OUR HAZARDS ON RIGHT AFTER IT DUE TO DAMAGE TO THE CARS. I THOUGHT I HAD POPPED A TIRE, BUT WHEN I GOT OUT, IT WAS MUCH WORSE. MY REAR PASSENGER TIRE IS NOW AT SUCH A STRONG CAMBER THAT IT IS RUBBING THE WHEEL WELL. WE HAVE NOW BEEN STRANDED FOR 2 HOURS WHILE A TOW TRUCK DRIVES IN FROM HOUSTON TO PICK US UP AND TAKE US TO THE TESLA AUTHORIZED REPAIR SHOP. WISH US LUCK. PHOTO TEXAS REGISTRATION NUMBER IS P05283

Date Complaint Filed: 08/11/2016Date of Incident: 07/31/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10895158Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E25GF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A MODEL S FRESHLY ARRIVED IN THE JUNKYARD. IT HAS DONE JUST 210 MILES AND THE FRONT WHEEL AND SUSPENSION HAS SIMPLY SNAPPED OFF. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY ZERO CRASH DAMAGE. THE WHEEL IS GOUGED AND THE TIRE IS PEELED OFF SHOWING THAT THE WHEEL WAS STILL ROLLING FORWARD WHEN THE WHEEL SNAPPED OFF. THE FRACTURED COMPONENTS ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE IN THE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPH. THIS CAN NOT POSSIBLY HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A COLLISION BUT IS SIMPLY THE RESULT OF A WEAKNESS IN THE TESLA SUSPENSION COMPONENTS. THIS DEFECT IS PUTTING MANY LIVES IN DANGER PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/07/2016Date of Incident: 07/25/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10893861Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A REPORT OF A CRASH BETWEEN A TESLA MODEL S AND A BMW IN SWITZERLAND HTTP://ELECTREK.CO/2016/07/26/TESLA-MODEL-S-UNINJURED-FRONTAL-CRASH-BMW-TUNNEL-GALLERY/ AT FIRST GLANCE IT APPEARS THAT THE FRONT WHEEL HAS FALLEN OFF THE BMW SINCE IT IS LYING ON THE GROUND NEXT TO THE CAR. CLOSER EXAMINATION REVEALS THAT THE WHEEL AND STEERING KNUCKLE ACTUALLY BELONGS TO THE TESLA. THE TESLA STEERING KNUCKLE IS THE MK 2 VERSION WHICH USES A WEBBED H SECTION RATHER THAN THE HOLLOW CASTING USED ON EARLIER VERSIONS. IMAGE OF TESLA STEERING KNUCKLE: HTTPS://WWW.FLICKR.COM/PHOTOS/136377865@N05/25665362065/IN/ALBUM-72157658490111523/ I HAVE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPH OF THE CRASH SCENE SHOWING THE TESLA WHEEL AND SUSPENSION ON THE GROUND. THE MAGAZINE ARTICLE CREDITS THE TESLA WITH PROTECTING THE OCCUPANTS BUT FAILS TO MENTION THE DETACHED WHEEL THAT MAY HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH. TESLAS ARE SOLD ALL OVER THE WORLD AND I BELIEVE THIS CRASH SHOULD BE CONSIDERED DURING ANY INVESTIGATION INTO THE TESLA SUSPENSION PROBLEMS. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 07/29/2016Date of Incident: 07/01/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10891518Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E23GF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ANOTHER TESLA MODEL S IN THE JUNKYARD: HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/26502206?SEARCHID=2012603337 THIS CAR HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN A MAJOR CRASH. THE FRONT SUSPENSION BALL JOINT HAS PULLED OUT OF THE STEERING KNUCKLE. THE TIRE IS PEELED OFF THE RIM. THERE SEEMS TO BE A PATTERN OF FAILURE IN THE TESLA SUSPENSION WHICH IS CAUSING CRASHES. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THE CIRCUMSTANCES OF THIS CRASH, IT SEEMS PROBABLE THAT THE BROKEN SUSPENSION WAS THE CAUSE OF THE CRASH RATHER THAN THE RESULT OF IMPACT DAMAGE. PLEASE NOTE THAT I HAVE SUPPLIED A FICTITIOUS US ADDRESS TO COMPLY WITH YOUR WEBSITE REQUIREMENTS, MY CORRECT NAME AND CONTACT DETAILS ARE SUPPLIED IN THE THE INFORMATION FIELDS. THE NUMBER OF INJURIES IS AN ESTIMATE BASED ON THE DAMAGE TO THE VEHICLES.

Date Complaint Filed: 07/29/2016Date of Incident: 07/27/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10891516Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A REPORT OF TWO TESLAS INVOLVED IN A CRASH: HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/JUST-SAW-TWO-TESLAS-IN-A-CRASH-ONE-NEW-WITHOUT-PLATES.74465/ “SOCAL JIMMY, TODAY AT 2:55 PM DRIVING DOWN PCH IN REDONDO BEACH AND SAW THIS, TWO TESLA’S APPEAR TO HAVE SIDESWIPED EACH OTHER. A COUPLE IN ONE AND TWO CHICKS IN THE OTHER. WHITE CAR HAS FRONT END DAMAGE AND THE BLACK ONE, THE REAR WHEEL IS BUSTED OFF. BAD NIGHT FOR THESE TWO FELLOW TESLA DRIVERS.” PHOTOS ARE ATTACHED. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR THE BACK WHEEL TO HAVE SNAPPED OFF THE BLACK TESLA NOR FOR THE FRONT WHEEL ON THE WHITE TESLA TO HAVE BECOME JAMMED BACK IN THE WHEEL WELL. IT SEEMS THAT THESE CARS CAN NOT BE DRIVEN HARD WITHOUT THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS FALLING APART.

Date Complaint Filed: 07/17/2016Date of Incident: 06/29/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSION , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10885399Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A REPORT OF A CRASH THAT OCCURRED IN GERMANY. HTTP://TESLACLUBSWEDEN.SE/FORUM/VIEWTOPIC.PHP?F=10&T=5024 THE OWNER IS UNCERTAIN OF THE EXACT SEQUENCE OF EVENTS AND IS NOT SURE IF HE WAS ON AUTOPILOT OR NOT. HE CREDITS THE TESLA WITH SAVING HIS LIFE BUT DOES NOT CONCEDE THAT THE CRASH MIGHT HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY A VEHICLE FAULT. THE ROLLOVER AND CRASH MAY HAVE BEEN PARTIALLY THE FAULT OF THE TRUCK DRIVER BUT THE REPORTS ARE AMBIGUOUS. BOTH FRONT AND REAR WHEELS HAVE BEEN TORN OFF THE CAR WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN THE RESULT OF THE CRASH BUT BEARING IN MIND THE LARGE NUMBER OF CRASHES IN WHICH TESLA WHEELS HAVE SNAPPED OFF IT MAY BE THAT THIS WAS ACTUALLY THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT. TIRES SHOULD NOT PEEL OFF THE RIM EVEN DURING A HIGH SPEED SPIN. WHEELS AND SUSPENSION ASSEMBLIES SHOULD NOT SNAP OFF SO EASILY. I WOULD LIKE NHTSA TO CONTACT THE GERMAN INVESTIGATORS TO ALERT THEM TO THE POSSIBILITY OF AUTOPILOT OR MECHANICAL FAILURE BEING A FACTOR IN THIS CRASH. I AM NOT A TESLA OWNER. I AM A CONCERNED CITIZEN THAT HAS TO SHARE THE ROADS WITH TESLA AUTOPILOT CONTROLLED VEHICLES AND I BELIEVE THAT LIVES OF ROAD USERS ARE BEING PUT AT RISK BY THIS UNREGULATED EXPERIMENT.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/21/2016Date of Incident: 06/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10875120Consumer Location: SAN JOSE, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E24GF…
SUMMARY:
2016 TESLA MODEL S. CONSUMER WRITES IN REGARDS TO VEHICLE SUSPENSION/ FRONT WHEEL CONTROL ARM ISSUES. *SMD THE CONSUMER STATED THE CONTROL ARM BROKE, WHEN HE ATTEMPTED TO BACK OUT OF HIS GARAGE. *JB

Date Complaint Filed: 05/05/2016Date of Incident: 03/10/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10863505Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E17GF…
SUMMARY:
THIS VEHICLE IS FOR SALE AS A SALVAGE WRECK. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=21970334&ROWID=1&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS COMPLETELY TORN AWAY. THE WHEEL IS IN THE FRUNK OF THE CAR AND APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN SLICED IN HALF. THAT IS INDICATIVE OF THE WHEEL BEING GOUGED FROM THE INSIDE WHILST THE CAR WAS IN MOTION. THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT DAMAGE FORWARD OF THE WHEEL THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THE SUSPENSION BEING TORN OFF. I HAVE SUBMITTED MANY OTHER COMPLAINTS OF SUSPENSION FAILURES ON TESLAS. THIS IS A 2016 MODEL AND THE SUSPENSION KNUCKLE HAS BEEN REDESIGNED TO A MUCH STURDIER VERSION THAN THE HOLLOW SECTION THAT WAS USED ON EARLIER MODELS AND WHICH PHOTOGRAPHS SHOW HAS FREQUENTLY SNAPPED OFF AT THE TIP OR IN MID SECTION. NONETHELESS THE SUSPENSION HAS FAILED ONCE AGAIN. I HAVE EVIDENCE THAT TESLA ARE OFFERING CUSTOMERS A SETTLEMENT OFFER IN RETURN FOR SIGNING AN NDA. A COPY OF THE NDA FORM IS ATTACHED. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS MATTER.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/12/2016Date of Incident: 04/02/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10854980Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E4XGF…
SUMMARY:
THIS IS A REPORT MADE IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST TO ADDRESS THE CONTINUING PROBLEM OF SNAPPING TESLA MODEL S SUSPENSION COMPONENTS. PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT FILING ANY FALSE INFORMATION, THIS IS A GENUINE REPORT MADE TO TRY AND SAVE LIVES. THE VIN BELONGS TO A TESLA WHICH IS IN THE WRECKING YARD BUT IS NOT THE ACTUAL VEHICLE INVOLVED IN THIS MOST RECENT INCIDENT. THERE IS A NEW REPORT FROM CHINA POSTED ON THE TMC FORUM WHICH INCLUDES PHOTOGRAPHS OF BROKEN SUSPENSION PARTS. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/THE-REAR-AXLE-SHAFT-BROKEN-WITHOUT-REASON.67935/ TESLA SUPPORTERS ARE CLAIMING THAT THIS IS A STAGED ACCIDENT FOR NEFARIOUS PURPOSES. I BELIEVE THAT THE PHOTOGRAPHS SHOW A FAILURE WHICH IS CONSISTENT WITH MANY OTHER FAILURES THAT I HAVE ALREADY REPORTED TO YOU. THE PERSON THAT STARTED THE THREAD CLAIMS THAT TESLA ARE INVESTIGATING THE INCIDENT. PLEASE FOLLOW UP ON THIS. TESLA OWNERS AND SUPPORTERS ARE UNWILLING TO ACCEPT THAT THIS CAR IS ANYTHING LESS THAN PERFECT. I BELIEVE THAT PROBLEMS ARE BEING UNDER-REPORTED BECAUSE MOST OWNERS ARE SHAREHOLDERS AND TESLA ENTHUSIASTS THAT REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE DANGER POSED BY FRAGILE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS.

2016 Model X

Date Complaint Filed: 07/15/2016Date of Incident: 06/06/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10884964Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCBE48GF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A MODEL X IN THE JUNKYARD. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/EN/LOT/27679726?SEARCHID=1165323215 THE SUSPENSION SEEMS TO HAVE COLLAPSED. THE FRONT RH WHEEL IS JAMMED BACK INTO THE FIREWALL AND THE TREAD IS WORN WHICH IS CONSISTENT WITH THE TIRE BEING DAMAGED BY BROKEN SUSPENSION PARTS WHILE THE CAR WAS STILL ROLLING FORWARD. HERE IS ANOTHER MODEL X IN A DIFFERENT JUNKYARD HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22497170&ROWID=31&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS SAME THING. SUSPENSION COLLAPSED, WHEEL JAMMED BACK INTO THE FIREWALL, TIRE GOUGED WHILE STILL IN MOTION. I BELIEVE THAT THE ALLOY SUSPENSION PARTS ARE TOO WEAK FOR SUCH A HEAVY HIGH POWERED VEHICLE AND THAT THERE ARE SO MANY SIMILAR FAILURES IT CAN NOT BE JUST THAT THE DAMAGE IS CAUSED BY THE COLLISION.

Date Complaint Filed: 07/11/2016Date of Incident: 07/10/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10883978Consumer Location: NEWLAND, NC
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 123456789…
SUMMARY:
I AM NOT OWNER BUT AM FILING ON BEHALF OF CHINESE OWNER WHO HAD ACCIDENT IN MONTANA AT 2AM 7/09/2016. DRIVER NOT SURE WHAT CAUSED CAR TO VEER TO THE RIGHT OFF THE ROAD BUT FRONT RIGHT WHEEL IS OFF. SPEED WAS 56 TO 60 MPH MONTANA STATE POLICE RESPONDED. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/MY-FRIEND-MODEL-X-CRASH-BAD-ON-AP-YESTERDAY.73308/ I’M SHARING THIS INFORMATION BECAUSE THE RESPONSE FROM FELLOW TESLA OWNERS CAN BE BORDERLINE HOSTILE WHEN UNEXPLAINED INCIDENTS OCCUR AND MAY SUPPRESS REPORTING AS YOU CAN SEE BY VIEWING THE ABOVE THREAD.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/13/2016Date of Incident: 05/10/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10874060Consumer Location: Unknown
SUMMARY:
HERE ARE TWO MODEL X CARS AT A REPAIR SHOP. SEE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPH. THEY BOTH HAVE FRONT SUSPENSION DAMAGE. THE BLACK CAR IN THE FOREGROUND HAS THE FRONT WHEEL SLICED IN HALF. THIS CAN ONLY BE THE RESULT OF A BROKEN SUSPENSION COMPONENT. ELON MUSK HAS TWEETED THAT THE NHTSA HAS CLEARED TESLA OF ANY PROBLEMS HE HAS ALSO BRANDED MY COMPLAINTS AS FRAUDULENT. THIS IS ABOUT AS SERIOUS AS IT CAN GET. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/13/2016Date of Incident: 05/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10864703Consumer Location: Unknown
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCBE2XGF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A MODEL X IN THE SALVAGE YARD. IT IS ALMOST BRAND NEW BUT THE FRONT SUSPENSION HAS FALLEN APART. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22034238&ROWID=36&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE CLOSE UP PHOTOGRAPH REVEALS A LOWER SUSPENSION BALL JOINT THAT HAS FALLEN APART. THERE IS NO COLLISION DAMAGE THAT COULD ACCOUNT FOR THIS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS MATTER URGENTLY. YOU HAVE OVER 20 REPORTS FILED FOR MODEL S SUSPENSION FAILURES AND NOW WITH A MERE HANDFUL OF THE MODEL X ON THE ROAD THE SAME FAILURE HAS HAPPENED AGAIN. THIS CAR IS UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED.

And the latest one just published.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/19/2016Date of Incident: 01/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10897285Consumer Location: Unknown
Crash:No Fire:Yes Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CP8DF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS AN AUCTION LISTING OF A TESLA THAT HAS CAUGHT FIRE. HTTP://SALVAGE-BID.COM/RESULT.PHP?VIN=5YJSA1CP8DFP12932 THE PJHOTOGRAPHS SHOW THAT THE LH TOP BALL-JOINT HAS PULLED OUT FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE. THIS IS NOT THE RESULT OF THE FIRE BECAUSE THOSE PARTS ARE SOLID METAL AND NEITHER THE STEERING KNUCKLE NOR THE WISHBONE HAVE MELTED. THE SUSPENSION FAILURE IS CONSISTENT WITH THE PATTERN OF SIMILAR FAILURES THAT APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE OF CRASHES. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS RECURRING FAILURE

Here comes trouble!
Watch out, there’s a bent Tesla about.

help with front tire wear problem
Submitted by cdjsp11 on August 21, 2016
I have continental extreme contact dw tires on the front of my 2013 model s p85+. These tires were put on my car last december, about 11,000 miles ago by a tesla service center. At that time, they also did some repair work on my suspension and an alignment. Now both of my front tires are scalloped or “cupped” pretty badly on the inside treads on both tires. My local tesla service center told me that the cause is due to the alignment. So they brought my car into the shop to test the alignment. The alignment was out slightly, but the tech who was looking at my car said that its not out badly…no more than what they typically see when cars come in for an alignment. So why are my tires so messed up? I’ve had many alignment issues with cars in the past, and never once did they scallop. They always wore down smoothly on the inside or outside. Never scalloped. I went on the internet…read about causes of scalloped tires not once did it say alignment…mostly for the inside or outside treads… Ball joints, bearings, control arms, or steering issues. My local tire guy… Said definitely not from the alignment. Maybe a defect in the tires or some thing tesla did when they replaced parts in my suspension. This is the 3rd set of tires on the front of my car. Only lasted 11,000 miles. The other two sets prior to these lasted about 30,000 each…without scalloping just normal wear. So what’s happened to These? Anybody else have a problem with tires scalloping on their car? Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

kunigi | August 21, 2016
This article points to bad suspension parts. You should probably return to the Tesla service center and have them validate the replacement suspension parts. I’m surprised that a visual inspection by your local tire guy didn’t turn up something but maybe it is a out of specification replacement part. I assume that prior to your suspension replacement, everything was fine. Did the suspension need work due to an accident? If so, they might have missed something.

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html
Cupping
Cups or scalloped dips appearing around the edge of the tread on one side or the other, almost always indicate worn (sometimes bent) suspension parts. Adjustment of wheel alignment alone will seldom cure the problem. Any worn component that connects the wheel to the car (ball joint, wheel bearing, shock absorber, springs, bushings, etc.) can cause this condition. Worn components should be replaced with new ones. The worn tire should be balanced and possibly moved to a different location on the car. Occasionally, wheels that are out of balance will wear like this, but wheel imbalance usually shows up as bald spots between the outside edges and center of the tread

I think this post is worth sharing
From Seeking Alpha

http://seekingalpha.com/article/4001240-tesla-goes-broke-q3-deliveries
slim2none
Comments (386) |+ Follow |Send Message
Mr Skeptic
Good read, as with all your articles It exposes cracks in the foundation. Not to detract from the point of the article, but that pic of a 2016 model S with the sketchy vin is chilling itself. Anyone who has rebuilt and restored a salvage car, built a custom to have a vin created, or a total custom auto knows the ins and outs of how easy it is to manipulate a vin, swap parts create cars that don’t exist or make a car disappear. Yes I am claiming they are pulling shenanigans with vins, but it’s not what you know it’s what you can prove.
Put that pic of that model S on a large monitor and look at the control arms (those are the sheared pieces sticking out of the wheel) and tell yourself that is any where near acceptable for any auto of any price. The long shaft sticking out is the front axle, easily capable of slicing through a battery pack, or worse, another civilian windshield. Is this worth it? Is this really the path to saving the planet? Who looks at that and says “that’s is the car I want to take my kids to school in”. Or better yet a company I want to invest in? It’s like we are in the twilight zone, Elon has the whole library to himself, and he broke his glasses.

Holy crap!
Look at the whompy wheels. The front one is sliced completely in half.
SOMEBODY is telling huge porkies!
http://teslaclubsweden.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5024

Date Complaint Filed: 08/26/2016Date of Incident: 08/05/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10898994Consumer Location: ALAMO, CA
Details close
help 0 Available Documents
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E23FF…
SUMMARY:
MY TESLA MODEL S - 2015 - HAD THE LEFT FRONT SUSPENSION MALFUNCTION. TESLA CLAIMS IT WAS DAMAGED - ALTHOUGH THE CAR HAS ONLY BEEN DRIVEN 12000 MILES - AND ONLY ON CITY STREETS AND HIGHWAYS. THERE HAS BEEN NO OFF ROADING AND HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS. THE CAR WAS LEFT UNABLE TO BE DRIVEN. THE TESLA DEALER REFUSES TO DISCUSS THE MATTER - SIMPLY SAYING THAT THIS IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY AND INSISTING I FILE AN INSURANCE CLAIM. I HAVE ASKED TO SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR - AND CAN NOT GET A REPLY FROM THEM. I HAVE CALLED TESLA HEAD OFFICE - AND THEY REFERRED ME BACK TO THE LOCAL DEAL - AND ASSURED ME THEY WOULD FOLLOW UP AND THEY HAVE NOT. FURTHER MORE - THE REPLACEMENT PARTS HAVE BEEN ON ORDER AND ARE TAKING AN EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF TIME. I AM CONCERNED - AFTER RESEARCHING THIS - THAT THE TESLA AIR SUSPENSION MAY BE FAULTY - AND MY IN FACT BE HAZARDOUS WHEN DRIVING.

(and YES It was me wot blew my whistle)

Date Complaint Filed: 08/31/2016Date of Incident: 07/01/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10899678Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN3DF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA FOR SALE AT A SALVAGE AUCTION. HTTP://WWW.COPART.COM/US/LOT/30119166?SEARCHID=695877385 THE AIR-BAGS HAVE NOT BEEN DEPLOYED AND THERE IS ONLY MINOR DAMAGE TO THE FRONT RH SIDE. THE CAR SHOWS SIGNS OF COLLAPSED SUSPENSION. THE TWO REAR WHEELS ARE SKEWED SIDEWAYS IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS. ALL WHEELS ARE JAMMED HIGH UP IN THE WHEEL WELLS. THIS WOULD TEND TO MAKE THAT CAR RATHER DIFFICULT TO STEER. THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL REPORTS OF THE AIR SUSPENSION FAILING AND THAT SINCE THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE LIMIT STOPS ON THE SUSPENSION IT CAN LEAD TO DIRE CONSEQUENCES. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS PROBLEM.

Now published on NHTSA website.

Date Complaint Filed: 09/01/2016Date of Incident: 03/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10903176Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A DISCUSSION ON THE TESLA MOTORS CLUB FORUM: HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/HIT-CURB-AND-NOW-ITS-THE-START-OF-MONTH-4-WAITING-FOR-REPAIR.72674/ SADOWNER, JUN 28, 2016 HELLO ALL, I THINK I’M ON MY WAY TO A WORLD RECORD FOR LONGEST WAIT TIME TO FIX A CAR WITH ZERO BODY DAMAGE. IN MARCH 2016 I HIT A CURB WITH MY BRAND NEW TESLA P85D. I BLEW THE FRONT DRIVERS SIDE TIRE AND DAMAGED THE RIM BUT THERE WAS ZERO BODY DAMAGE. NOW WE’RE THREE DAYS FROM JULY AND I’M STILL GETTING THE WHOLE “WE FOUND SOMETHING ELSE LINE”. YESTERDAY THEY SAID THEY FOUND A SUSPENSION KNUCKLE THAT NEEDED REPLACING!!! HOW THEY CAN HAVE A CAR FOR MONTHS ON END AND NOT REALIZE THAT SOMETHING THAT SOUNDS SO OBVIOUS AS A SUSPENSION KNUCKLE NEEDS REPLACING IS BEYOND ME. I HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY PATIENT UP UNTIL THIS POINT BUT MAN, WHERE DOES ONE DRAW THE LINE? TOWARDS THE END OF THAT THREAD OWNER REPORTS THAT THE TOTAL REPAIR BILL IS $30,000 THE SUSPENSION COMPONENTS OF THE TESLA ARE RIDICULOUSLY FRAGILE. THE WHEEL DOES NOT EVEN HAVE ANY BROKEN SPOKES. WHY HAS THE STEERING KNUCKLE BEEN DAMAGED BY A MINOR CURB BUMP INCIDENT? PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

The owner says that he hit the curb.
On the wrong side of the road?

Why?

HOW MUCH LONGER BEFORE THIS CONTRAPTION IS TAKEN OFF THE ROAD?

Date Complaint Filed: 09/02/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2016Component(s): STEERING , SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10903374Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A TESLA MODEL X IN THE SALVAGE YARD.
https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=22925269&RowID=34&PageSource=VehicleResults
IT HAS BEEN IN A MAJOR CRASH THE FRONT LH SUSPENSION TOP LINK IS TORN AWAY WHICH COULD HAVE HAPPENED IN THE CRASH. HOWEVER, THE TIRE HAS HAD THE TREAD SEVERELY WORN AWAY OVER THE ENTIRE CIRCUMFERENCE. THIS COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED AFTER THE IMPACT UNLESS FULL POWER WAS STILL APPLIED TO THE MOTOR POST IMPACT. IT IS FAR MORE PROBABLE THAT THE TIRE DAMAGE WAS CAUSED PRIOR TO THE CRASH BY A MECHANICAL FAULT IN THE SUSPENSION. SEVERAL OTHER MODEL X CARS HAVE BEEN REPORTED WITH BROKEN SUSPENSIONS. PLEASE INVESTIGATE THIS MATTER URGENTLY. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DATE OF CRASH, DETAILS OF INJURY ARE ONLY ESTIMATES.

Keef, have you noticed more NHTSA complaints filed by Tesla owners since the NHTSA got involved a few months ago?

Yes. Perhaps I should separate the complaints into owners & keef lists?
In the meantime it’s easy to see the difference.
the owners complaints have got valid USA addresses.
All of mine have either got “unknown” or “Beverley Hills” (as if!)

Date Complaint Filed: 09/03/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10903486Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H29FF…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS ANOTHER CRASHED TESLA IN THE SALVAGE YARD. HTTPS://M.IAAI.COM/VEHICLEDETENC.ASPX?AUCTIONID=0&ITEMID=22938755&ROWID=3&PAGESOURCE=VEHICLERESULTS# THE BACK LH SUSPENSION IS RIPPED AWAY. THE AIR SUSPENSION APPEARS TO HAVE FAILED WHICH MIGHT ACCOUNT FOR THE DAMAGE AROUND ALL THE WHEELS. NO SIGN OF A MAJOR IMPACT TO THE CAR. THE NUMBER OF WRECKED TESLAS IS EXTREMELY HIGH IN RELATION TO THE RELATIVELY SMALL NUMBER OF CARS ON THE ROAD PARTICULARLY CONSIDERING THE OWNERS ARE MOSTLY MATURE AND CONSERVATIVE DRIVERS. I AM ONLY PLAYING AMATEUR CRASH INVESTIGATOR BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT MOST OF THESE CRASHES WOULD NOT ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF OFFICIAL INVESTIGATORS BUT WOULD BE HANDLED AS ROUTINE TRAFFIC INCIDENTS BY LOCAL POLICE WHO MIGHT NOT NOTICE THE PATTERN OF FAILURES. I BELIEVE THAT THE TESLA SITUATION IS UNIQUE. THERE IS A CULTURE OF DENIAL AND COVER UP BY THE COMPANY AND BY OWNERS.THERE ARE NO INDEPENDENT DEALERSHIPS THAT COULD REPORT PROBLEMS. EX-EMPLOYEES REPORT A DICTATORIAL WORK ENVIRONMENT THAT DISCOURAGES REPORTING OF PROBLEMS. EVEN ON THE TESLA INTERNET FORUMS OWNERS THAT SPEAK ABOUT DEFECTS ARE ABUSED AND INTIMIDATED AND ACCUSED OF MAKING FALSE REPORTS IN ORDER TO DRIVE DOWN THE SHARE PRICE. PLEASE INSPECT SOME OF THESE CRASHED CARS AND ALSO SOME RANDOM SAMPLES OF THE FLEET FOR PROBLEMS IN THE SUSPENSION AND FOR SEIZED BRAKE CALIPERS AS PREVIOUSLY REPORTED. EXAMPLE BEING THE CPO CAR DELIVERED WITH SEIZED CALIPERS. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/4-BENT-WHEELS.75765/ CUBLDR97, AUG 18, 2016 I PURCHASED A CPO 2013 MODEL S85 IN FEB OF THIS YEAR. HERE IS WHAT I GOT IN AN EMAIL… THE TECHNICIAN ALSO NOTICED ALL 4 CALIPER PISTONS ARE SEIZED AND THE SWAY BAR LINK HAS EXCESSIVE PLAY."
Request Research help

Complaint Number: 10904539
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Suspension
What happened?
There has been a fatal crash in The Netherlands which appears to have been caused by suspension failure. http://www.ad.nl/amersfoort/brandweerworsteltmetgecrashtetesla~
a1ec61b0/70382423/ Please see attached photograph. Back RH wheel skewed over at extreme angle. That part of the car has not been damaged by the crash.
Please investigate.
Files you uploaded.
Fatal.Netherlands.jpg
When did this happen? 09/07/2016
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? Yes
Was there an injury or fatality? Yes

LOOK AT THE WHEEL ON THE GROUND.
It is sliced almost in half.
That can only have happened when the car was driving on a hard surface.
BEFORE the crash.

Complaint Number: 10907010
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E28GF129847
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
What happened?
Here is a Model S in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=22506868&RowID=2&PageSource=VehicleResults The LH front steering knuckle has snapped in half. The steel bumper bar which extends almost the full width of the car is undamaged. It is most unlikely that the damage to the front suspension was the result of the crash. It is far more likely that it was the cause of it. Please investigate why so many examples of snapped suspensions are occurring on Teslas than on any comparable vehicle.
Files you uploaded.
SNAPPEDsteeringknuckle2016.png
When did this happen? 09/01/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 30
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 2000

Complaint Number: 10907035
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2016
What happened?
Here is further proof that there is a design and/or materials problem with Tesla’s suspensions. This was posted today on the official Tesla Motors Forum. https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/model-x-front-suspension-failure Condensed version of post: Yesterday, I was parking my Model X90D in the parking garage at work, I was making a sharp turn as I was backing into a parking spot (in manual mode, not autopark), when I heard a bang and my steering became stiff. When I tried moving the car, it felt like it wouldn’t want to move. When I moved forward, the car front part felt like it was lifted up an inch or so. I stopped, got out, got onto my knees and crawled under the front suspension to see what was going on. It was obvious to me that there was a front suspension failure. The wheel appeared to contact the wheel well. I refrained from making any further movement as the wheel well was acting as a giant brake on the tire. This morning, got a call from the service center, they confirmed that the driver side control arm had cracked and was broken. . As a precaution they are replacing the control arm on the passenger side too… I am surprised that the control arm cracked as the fatigue cycles on the part would have been low. I think when one is making an extreme turn, the control arm will be most stressed and it appears the stress analysis done may not have fully captured the loads during the extreme turn. I was driving at less than 5 mph while reverse parking when it failed. I shudder to think what could have happened if this failure occurred as I was on an expressway at speed, taking a turn/on a curved exit ramp, possibly made worse if I was on autopilot. Please do not give Tesla any more benefit of the doubt but instead take immediate action to prevent loss of life.
When did this happen? 09/15/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 5
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 5000

Owner is a bit concerned BUT why doesn’t he report it to NHTSA?
Scared of upsetting Tesla?

sreddy642 | September 16, 2016
Tesla delivered the vehicle to my home. Test drove it. Drives like new.

The control arm broke completely at the joint with the spindle. The control arm wraps around a central cylindrical feature and bushing at this joint. I suspect one of the following issues could have happened. 1) an air bubble/flaw/defect in the casting at the spindle hinge may have lead to crack growth and failure. 2) poor loads/stress analysis.

Either way, I hope they conduct a detailed investigation. They did take the passenger side control arm part also and replaced it with a new one. I hope this would help in their forensic investigation - comparing the driver side (broken) and the passenger side (unbroken) parts should reveal some good information. This should lead to detailed inspections on other vehicles having control arms from the same batch and a possible redesign/recall.

I took delivery of this vehicle in May 2016. Had 9947 miles on it at failure. VIN 40xx.