Tesla suspension Hall Of Shame!

Complaint Number: 10907299
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E43FF104189
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2015
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Suspension
What happened?
Another Model S in the salvage yard with a collapsed front suspension. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=22996029&RowID=6&PageSource=VehicleResults# Airbags not deployed. No sign of collision damage but both front wheels are jammed up in the wheel wells and have tangled up in the liner. The number of similar incidents is alarming. Please investigate.
Files you uploaded.
collapsedfront1.png
collapsedfront2.png
When did this happen? 09/01/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
Was there an injury or fatality? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 30
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 10000

82 ( will we reach the 100?)

Complaint Number: 10907381
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1H13EFP40515
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2014
What happened?
Here is anothe Tesla in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=23004896&RowID=19&PageSource=VehicleResults Front LH suspension has collapsed. Tire is peeled off the rim and has the tread worn away Tire is partially peeled off the rim and the wheel is damaged. These failures seem to be happening in a high percentage of the Teslas. Owners seem reluctant to file complaints. I am reporting the ones that I see in the interest of public safety. Please investigate this pattern of suspension failures.
Files you uploaded.
damagedwheel.png
damagedwheel2.png

Complaint Number: 10908787
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E21FF120311
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the salvage yard http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/34215386?searchId=1942545060 The ball joint has pulled out from the steering knuckle causing the wheel to slew back into the wheel well. The wheel liner is shredded. There is no impact damage forward of the wheel that would account for the damage. Tesla suspensions are failing in a variety of ways which suggests that the design, manufacture, and testing are inadequate and present a hazard to the public. Please investigate.
Files you uploaded.
Balljointpulled out.JPG
Balljointpulledout2.JPG
When did this happen? 09/01/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 40

Suspension Failure
Edit ConversationMark as UnreadStar ConversationLeave Conversation
Clark Griswold
Clark Griswold
Clark Griswold, 3 minutes ago
Hello Satish.
I’m wondering why you have not reported this failure to NHTSA.
You can not be certain that it is a one off failure.
It could be a bad batch or it could be a design/manufacturing failure.
If someone is killed because they have a similar failure and you failed to report to NHTSA then you might be an accessory to manslaughter.
Please do report this.
NHTSA should take more notice of you than they will of a concerned citizen like myself.

Here’s MY report.
Complaint Number: 10907035
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2016
What happened?
Here is further proof that there is a design and/or materials problem with Tesla’s suspensions. This was posted today on the official Tesla Motors Forum. https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/model-x-front-suspension-failure1 Condensed version of post: Yesterday, I was parking my Model X90D in the parking garage at work, I was making a sharp turn as I was backing into a parking spot (in manual mode, not autopark), when I heard a bang and my steering became stiff. When I tried moving the car, it felt like it wouldn’t want to move. When I moved forward, the car front part felt like it was lifted up an inch or so. I stopped, got out, got onto my knees and crawled under the front suspension to see what was going on. It was obvious to me that there was a front suspension failure. The wheel appeared to contact the wheel well. I refrained from making any further movement as the wheel well was acting as a giant brake on the tire. This morning, got a call from the service center, they confirmed that the driver side control arm had cracked and was broken. . As a precaution they are replacing the control arm on the passenger side too… I am surprised that the control arm cracked as the fatigue cycles on the part would have been low. I think when one is making an extreme turn, the control arm will be most stressed and it appears the stress analysis done may not have fully captured the loads during the extreme turn. I was driving at less than 5 mph while reverse parking when it failed. I shudder to think what could have happened if this failure occurred as I was on an expressway at speed, taking a turn/on a curved exit ramp, possibly made worse if I was on autopilot. Please do not give Tesla any more benefit of the doubt but instead take immediate action to prevent loss of life.
When did this happen? 09/15/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 5

Date Complaint Filed: 09/25/2016Date of Incident: 03/01/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10909537Consumer Location: Unknown
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
help 0 Available Documents
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): UNKNOWN…
SUMMARY:
ANOTHER CASE OF SUSPENSION FAILURE IDENTICAL TO PREVIOUS COMPLAINTS LODGED. TESLA MOTORS CLUB FORUM HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/MODEL-X-FRONT-SUSPENSION-FAILURE.77534/PAGE-4 SREDDY642 SAID: ↑ I POSTED THIS ARTICLE ORIGINALLY AND UPLOADED THESE PICTURES OF MY CAR WHEN IT FAILED IN OUR PARKING LOT WHERE MY CAR IS THE ONLY TESLA. I DO HAVE THE TESLA INVOICE WITH $0.0 CHARGED THAT CLEARLY ACKNOWLEDGES THIS FAILURE AND SHOWS WHICH PARTS WERE REPLACED. I THINK THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO OUR EARLY PRODUCTION MODEL X. THIS ARM WAS ON THE DRIVER’S SIDE TOWARD THE FRONT OF THE CAR. TESLA FIXED IT FOR FREE TOO. SEE ATTACHED PHOTOGRAPHS. ALSO NOTE HOW THE ORIGINAL POSTER ON THIS THREAD HAS BEEN CALLED A LIAR AND WORSE. MANY OWNERS WOULD BE AFRAID TO REPORT THESE FAILURES DUE TO PEER PRESSURE AND FEAR THAT TESLA MIGHT WITHDRAW THEIR SUPPORT.

Complaint Number: 10909837
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
What happened?
Here is a forum post from an owner whose air suspension has collapsed (shortly after an unrelated very minor collision). https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/air-suspension-failing-on-the-same-day-someone-hit-me.77914/#post-1751484 “dohmer, 25 minutes ago New Service advisor said the two damages are unlikely related so they will fix the suspension problem under warranty. Seems service is pretty good so far. I’ll know more about what exactly broke when I pick up the car next week” As you can see from the photograph and from the owners comments the car is almost scraping the ground and the wheels are in contact with the wheel well liners. The car does not have bump stops on the suspension and a small air leak can cause the car to bottom out. From looking at all the salvage wrecks it seems that this failure is extremely common and can also lead to breakage of other suspension parts when the wheel well liners flog about inside the well. I am surprised that this car could pass regulatory standards if there is no bump stop to prevent the suspension collapsing to such a low level. Please ask the manufacturer why the car does not have this simple safety feature.
Files you uploaded.
AIRFAILURE.JPG

Complaint Number: 10914137
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E44GF144475
What happened?
Here is another Tesla Model S whose back wheel has snapped off. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=23148660&RowID=5&PageSource=VehicleResults# The broken suspension links can be clearly seen. The tread is worn away on the tire indicating that the wheel was turning for a long while before the suspension broke completely off. The suspension appears to have collapsed on all 4 wheels causing the tires to jam up inside the wheel wells and placing high stresses on the suspension components. This same fault is being seen over and over on Teslas because they are not fitted with bump stops or limit stops on the air suspension. This is a very dangerous safety defect. Please investigate.
Files you uploaded.
wheelfelloffagain.png
When did this happen? 10/01/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 2000

Complaint Number: 10914145
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1H13EFP40515
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2014
What happened?
Here is another Tesla in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=21631709&ItemID=23004896&RowID=22&PageSource=VehicleResults# The front steering knuckle is snapped in half. The tread is completely worn off the tire. The wheel has been sliced almost in half. Not the result of a crash, just another snapped suspension. Please investigate.
Files you uploaded.
whiteTeslafrontwheelfelloff.png
When did this happen? 09/15/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No

Date Complaint Filed: 10/09/2016Date of Incident: 10/05/2016Component(s): SUSPENSION , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10914970Consumer Location: SEATTLE, WA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H25FF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS DRIVING MY CAR TO WORK AND ACCIDENTALLY SCRAPED THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL ON A CURB NEAR A ROUNDABOUT ON AN OLD/NARROW SEATTLE STREET (THERE WAS ONCOMING TRAFFIC AND PARKED CARS SO I HAD VERY LITTLE ROOM ON MY RIGHT AND MIS-JUDGED). THE PAINT ON THE WHEEL WAS PRETTY BADLY SCRAPED UP BUT OTHERWISE THE CAR WAS FINE (NO BODY DAMAGE) AND THE WHEEL HAD NO VISUAL STRUCTURAL DAMAGE (THE CAR’S ALIGNMENT WAS NOT AFFECTED). I CONTINUED DRIVING TO WORK WITHOUT ISSUE, INCLUDING 5-6 MILES ON THE HIGHWAY AT 60MPH. WHEN PARKING IN THE UNDERGROUND GARAGE AT MY OFFICE 20 MINUTES AFTER THE CURB INCIDENT, I TURNED THE WHEEL TO THE LEFT TO ADJUST MY CAR IN THE PARKING SPOT AND HEARD/FELT A RUBBING SOUND, FOLLOWED BY A LOUD CLUNK. THE FRONT RIGHT OF THE CAR DROPPED AND THE WHEEL FELL OFF THE SUSPENSION AND WAS WEDGED UNDER THE FRONT OF THE CAR. THE CAR WAS DISABLED AND HAD TO BE TOWED TO TESLA. GIVEN THE AMOUNT OF FORCE APPLIED TO THE WHEEL BY THE CURB AND THE LACK OF OTHER SYMPTOMS, IT SEEMS UNLIKELY THAT ANY NORMAL, STOCK SUSPENSION SHOULD FAIL AS IT DID WITH THIS CAR. IT APPEARS A BOLT ON THE LOWER CONTROL ARM SHEARED OFF COMPLETELY WHEN I WAS PARKING (AND HAD PROBABLY BEEN FATIGUED BY THE CURBING INCIDENT).

Complaint Number: 10917208
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1CP5CFP02406
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2012
What happened?
Here is another Tesla in the junkyard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetailImages.aspx?ImageUrl=2&itemid=23306666 The photographs show that the front steering knuckle has snapped in half and the wheel is hanging sideways out of the wheel well. The car has not been in a crash. The air-bags have not deployed and there is no significant damage to the bodywork. These steering knuckles are a made from low pressure die cast Aluminium which is clearly not strong enough for the purpose. There are many examples where the knuckle has simply snapped completely in half just like this one. Please investigate before more lives are lost.
Files you uploaded.
snapped steeringknuckle.png
When did this happen? 09/14/2016
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? No
Were Vehicles Towed? No
Was there a Fire? No

Complaint Number: 10919206
What part of your car was affected? Power Train, Suspension
What happened?
There are many Teslas in the wrecking yards with broken front suspensions. Owners are complaining on the forums of vibration problems that are causing damage to the drive shafts. Tesla seems unable to fix this problem and it may be creating a risk of sudden failure. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/front-vibration-when-accelerating-accelerometer-graphs.72268/page-2 Sample: @mmccord unfortunately replacing the half-shafts did solve the problem but only for one month. The vibration came back. After four attempts by the SC to fix it the car still has the vibration. Now that you mentioned HIGH setting now I can replicate the problem every time. It also explains why only in some circumstances I got the vibration. My driveway is a bit higher than the main road so I have the suspension set to HIGH when I arrive home. When I usually leave before hitting a higher speed road the suspension will stay to high. The moment I pull into a high speed road ( > 35 mph, which is the threshold for standard setting), even a mild acceleration will cause the shudder. I had the following work done: FRONT RIGHT HALFSHAFT - DUAL MOTOR (1030616-00-A) FRONT LEFT HALFSHAFT - DUAL MOTOR (1030615-00-A) FRONT JACKSHAFT ASSEMBLY - DUAL MOTOR (1030632-00-A) SDU re alignment Front Drive Unit mounting bushes adjusting None of that solved the problem or solved it for a couple of weeks. My conclusion is that the car doesn’t bode to well when transitioning from HIGH to STANDARD setting while you accelerate mildly or stronger. I use it daily at least two locations and now it explains why I am getting the shudder after leaving in exactly same spot. And yes it will wear the half shafts prematurely. Anyone had this problem fixed for good? My SC seems clueless and the whole situation is embarrassing for them really.

Complaint Number: 10924348
What happened?
There has been a fatal Tesla crash in Indiana. Crash site photographs show that the rear wheel has skewed over in the wheel well but there is no damage to the rear of the car which could have cause that to happen. The car was repaired by Tesla a few months ago after it suffered undercarriage damage after hitting a pothole There is a clear pattern of weakness in the suspension components. It is highly probable that this crash was caused by a suspension failure. Crash scene videos show the batteries exploding like fireworks. Contrary to Tesla’s claim that the batteries are well protected and will allow plenty of time for the occupants to escape it shows that when the batteries are hot from heavy use they will ignite as soon as the coolant escapes. Please investigate this matter urgently before more lives are lost.
Files you uploaded.
Teslacrash.jpg
When did this happen? 11/03/2016
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? Yes
Was there an injury or fatality? Yes
Number of fatalities: 2
Number of injuries
Medical Attention Required? Yes

Date Complaint Filed: 11/03/2016Date of Incident: 10/10/2016Component(s): SUSPENSIONNHTSA ID Number: 10924050Consumer Location: SAINT LOUIS, MO
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E26GF…
SUMMARY:
BALL JOINT EQUIVALENT FRACTURED WHILE PULLING OUT OF GARAGE. FRONT END FELL, NEARLY BRINGING TIRE INTO CONTACT WITH WHEEL WELL.

Complaint Number: 10924456
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCAE24GF003047
What happened?
Here is a Model X in the salvage yard. https://www.copart.com/lot/35873206/Photos?resultIndex=2&totalRecords=14&backTo=%2FlotSearchResults%2F%3Ffree%3Dtrue&query=tesla&query=tesla&displayStr=Search%20Results&viewedLot=35873206 It has only done 3000 miles. The back wheel has skewed 90 degrees sideways and all the suspension arms have snapped off. None of the air-bags have deployed. There is some scraping damage to the side of the car but not enough to account for the snapped off suspension. It is most likely that the scrapes on the side were caused after the driver lost control when the wheel went whompy. It is blindingly obvious that the alloy suspension components are too weak for the high power and weight of this vehicle. Please do not wait until more lives are lost before taking action.
When did this happen? 10/01/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 3000

Complaint Number: 10925235
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E20GF122391
What happened?
Here is a Model S in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=23494189&RowID=6&PageSource=VehicleResults# As you can see from the attached photograph the top ball joint of the steering knuckle has popped apart. The rim of the wheel is gouged on the inside and the tire is peeled off. This can not possibly have occurred after a collision. The wheel was still rolling when the suspension failed. The ball joint should be much stronger than the top arms and should never fail like that. This is the clearest evidence yet of a Tesla suspension failure causing suspension collapse. Please take action.
Files you uploaded.
Teslaballjoint.jpg
Teslaballjoint2.png
When did this happen? 11/01/2016
Was there a Crash? Yes
Was there a Police Report? Yes
Were Vehicles Towed? Yes
Was there a Fire? No

Complaint Number: 10925274
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1CP5CFP02406
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2012
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=21921554&ItemID=23249264&RowID=16&PageSource=VehicleResults The steering knuckle has snapped in half. The air-bags have not deployed and there is no visible damage to the car that would explain why the knuckle has snapped in half. Up until 2015 the steering knuckle was made from hollow cast aluminum and there have been many other incidents where the knuckle has snapped. The design was changed in 2015 to a solid H-section but failures of that part and of the top ball joint are still ocurring. At the very minimum these cars should be recalled for a safety inspection of the suspension.
Files you uploaded.
Tesla2012brokensteeringknuckle.png
When did this happen? 10/10/2016
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
About how many miles were on your vehicle at the time of the incident? 20000

Complaint Number: 10925554
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E48GF141806
What happened?
Another Tesla in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=23505090&RowID=2&PageSource=VehicleResults# No impact damage, no airbags deployed but the air suspension has collapsed causing all wheels to jam up in the wheel wells and the back wheel and suspension has torn completely away. The tire is peeled off the rim and the tread is worn down indicating the car was still driving when the damage occurred. Please investigate
Files you uploaded.
whompy.png
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No

Tesla Model S prototype.

Complaint Number: 10926240
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJSA1E42GF142370
What happened?
Here is a Tesla in the salvage yard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=23502765&RowID=1&PageSource=VehicleResults# Car built May 2016 Close examination of the front RH wheel shows that the inside of the wheel has been torn and that the tread of the tire has been worn down in the center. This means that the damage was caused while the wheel was still rotating and was probably caused by a broken suspension component. Owners on the forums have been complaining of problems with suspension parts and that Tesla has replaced parts for some (but not all) owners. Sample:from elbilorum.no - On my P85 + from April 2014 I hear the typical sounds of a liner that has gone in front axle. More speifikt from the stabilizer bar or one of the connections, I have not been subject to set. Is there anyone else who has experience with linings that runs on its Tesla. Recalling that I + package with stiffer bushings that were available at that time. - Got switched on both sides ahead of a month ago, “Link-Sway Bar Front Pair” was substituted. Had clunk of every dump before switching sounds just fine after switching. - Sounds like “bag of bones” when I drive over speed bumps, embarrassing. Took a trip to Tesla Skøyen, got fitter and he heard the horror show, - The neighbors must begin to wonder if we have a freak show going. Lacking only killer clowns sightings so we have a new episode of American horror show. - It was Noticed during servicethat the lower rear control arms on the front suspension were worn and need to be replaced. *These suspension failures are causing crashes. Please investigate *
Files you uploaded.
damagedwheel.png

Complaint Number: 10926328
Vehicle Identification Number: 5YJXCBE21GF006123
What happened?
Here is a Tesla Model X in the junkyard. https://m.iaai.com/VehicleDetEnc.aspx?AuctionID=0&ItemID=23554172&RowID=47&PageSource=VehicleResults It has not been involved in any collision and none of the airbags have deployed. The air suspension has collapsed on all 4 wheels causing them to jam up in the wheel wells. The Teslas do not have any bump stops and such failures always cause damage to the car and can cause loss of control and endanger other road users. How much longer will you ignore theses failures and continue to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt? I will ensure that details of this incident are made public. Please take this deadly car of the road. It is simply “unsafe at any speed” Thank you.
Files you uploaded.
ModelXcollapsed-suspension.png
ModelXcollapsed-suspension3.png
modelXcpllapsed-suspension2.png
Was there a Crash? No
Was there a Fire? No
How fast were you going? (in mph) 30

Uploading…
Uploading…