There is just no stopping Tesla!

Date Complaint Filed: 08/04/2016Date of Incident: 07/28/2016Component(s): AIR BAGS , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10893066Consumer Location: DANBURY, CT
All Products Associated with this Complaint expand
Details close
help 0 Available Documents
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Manufacturer: Tesla Motors, Inc.
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCAE29GF…
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2016 TESLA MODEL X. WHILE ATTEMPTING TO PARK, THE VEHICLE INDEPENDENTLY ACCELERATED WITHOUT WARNING AND CRASHED INTO A WOOD FENCE. THE AIR BAGS FAILED TO DEPLOY. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT DIAGNOSED OR REPAIRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 49.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/10/2016Date of Incident: 05/06/2016Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10864163Consumer Location: FREDERICK, MD
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E13GF…
SUMMARY:
UNINTENDED ACCELERATION OCCURRED ON 2 SEPARATE OCCASIONS WITH 2 DIFFERENT DRIVERS WITHIN 2 WEEKS. MODEL S 70D INCIDENT 1: MY WIFE WAS AT A STOP SIGN. SHE REMOVED HER FOOT FROM THE BRAKE AND BEFORE APPLYING THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR SURGED FORWARD AGGRESSIVELY. SINCE HER FOOT NEVER TOUCHED THE ACCELERATOR SHE WAS ABLE TO APPLY THE BRAKE AND STOP WITHIN 8-10 FEET. SHE WAS VISIBLY SHAKEN WHEN SHE GOT HOME BUT, REGRETTABLY, NO REPORT WAS FILED. INCIDENT 2: ABOUT 2 WEEKS LATER, MAY 6, I WAS PULLING INTO MY GARAGE WITH MY WIFE AND BABY IN THE VEHICLE. 2-3 FEET FROM THE THE GARAGE WALL (IN CREEP MODE) I GENTLY TOUCHED THE BRAKE TO COME TO A STOP. AT THAT POINT THE CAR SURGED FORWARD VERY AGGRESSIVELY. I IMMEDIATELY APPLIED HEAVY BRAKE AND WAS ABLE TO STOP THE CAR IN A FEW FEET (SINCE MY FOOT WAS ALREADY OVER THE BRAKE PEDAL). THE FRONT END HIT THE GARAGE WALL AND PENETRATED 10-12 INCHES CAUSING DRYWALL DAMAGE AND SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO OUR POWDER ROOM ON THE OTHER SIDE. A REPORT WITH TESLA WAS FILED IMMEDIATELY. LOGS WERE DOWLOADED AND SHOW THAT THE ACCELERATOR WAS DEPRESSED TO 97% POWER IN LESS THAN A SECOND AND THAT IT WAS DRIVER ERROR. MY WIFE AND I HAVE A COMBINED 48 YEARS OF ACCIDENT FREE DRIVING AND NEITHER OF US HAVE EVER MISTAKEN CONTROL PEDALS OR HAVE EVER FLOORED A GAS PEDAL IN A SECOND. MY WIFE IS 37, HEALTHY AND A PHYSICIAN, I AM A HEALTHY 42 YEAR OLD PILOT. WE CAN BOTH SAY WITH 100% CERTAINTY THAT NEITHER INCIDENT WAS DRIVER ERROR. TESLA HAS A SERIOUS UNINTENDED ACCELERATION PROBLEM ALSO MADE EVIDENT BY THE OTHER COMPLAINTS FILED ON NHTSA, ALL OF WHICH SEEM TO FALL UNDER SIMILAR OPERATING PARAMETERS. WE NOW HAVE A $90,000 CAR SITTING IN OUR GARAGE THAT IS UNSAFE FOR MY FAMILY, IT SEEMS TESLA IS GOING THE ROUTE OF WAITING FOR INJURY AND DEATHS TO OCCUR BEFORE THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THIS SAFETY DEFECT.

Date Complaint Filed: 06/21/2016Date of Incident: 04/04/2016Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10875699Consumer Location: WEST CHICAGO, IL
Details close
help 1 Available Document expand
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): YJSA1H26FFP…
SUMMARY:
ELECTRONIC PARKING, WHILE PARKING THE AUTOMOBILE IN THE GARAGE I PRESSED THE PARKING OPTION. THE AUTOMOBILE SURGED, RAMMED THE GARAGE, BACKED UP AND RAMMED THE GARAGE AGAIN AND CAREENED BACKWARDS INTO THE STREET.

(pricelsss!) :joy:

Date Complaint Filed: 06/17/2016Date of Incident: 06/10/2016Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10874744Consumer Location: SAN JOSE, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E28FF…
SUMMARY:
UNINTENDED, UNCOMMANDED ACCELERATION. CAR RAPIDLY ACCELERATED TO MAXIMUM THROTTLE DURING PARKING MANEUVER IN A PARKING STRUCTURE. I WAS TRAVELLING AT 3MPH. CAR ACCELERATED, HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE AND A WALL. TESLA CLAIMS VEHICLE LOGS SHOW THROTTLE WAS COMMANDED TO 98%. AT NO TIME DID I HAVE ANYTHING BUT A LIGHT TOUCH ON THE THROTTLE.

Date Complaint Filed: 05/11/2016Date of Incident: 05/11/2016Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10864353Consumer Location: DENHAM SPRINGS, LA
Details close
Crash:No Fire:No Number of Injuries:0 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E23FF…
SUMMARY:
WHILE DRIVING SLOWLY ~5MPH IN A WAL MART PARKING LOT, MY WIFE WENT TO PULL INTO A PARKING SPOT, SHE TOOK HER FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND THE CAR ACCELERATED “FULLY” ALMOST HITTING THE CAR IN FRONT. MY WIFE HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES TO PREVENT AN ACCIDENT.

Date Complaint Filed: 04/29/2016Date of Incident: 04/28/2016Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHERNHTSA ID Number: 10862194Consumer Location: NEW CITY, NY
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H2XFF…
SUMMARY:
THE CAR WAS BEING SLOWLY PULLED INTO A PARKING SPACE AT A BANK WHEN IT EXPECTANTLY ACCELERATED. IT JUMPED A CURB, PASSED THOUGH SHRUBS, CLIPPED A TREE, AND WAS ABLE TO BE STEERED AWAY FROM A LIGHT POLE. IT CAME TO REST HALF INTO THE ROAD. THERE WERE SKID MARKS FROM THE ATTEMPTED BRAKING THAT WERE PHOTOGRAPHED. NONE THE SAFETY FEATURES INCLUDING PROXIMITY WARNING, AND COLLISION AVOIDANCE OR AIR BAGS ACTIVATED.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/11/2016Date of Incident: 03/01/2016Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , STRUCTURE , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10846206Consumer Location: SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): Not Available
SUMMARY:
WHILE USING THE AUTOPILOT ON A BUSY I-80 FREEWAY IN SAN FRANCISCO. I WAS DRIVING SOUTH AND IN THE MIDDLE LANE TRYING TO MAKE A LANE CHANGE INTO THE LEFT LANE. I HIT THE SPEED ADJUSTER KNOB INSTEAD OF THE TURN SIGNAL, THIS AUTOMATICALLY INCREASES THE SPEED OF THE CAR WITHOUT INTENDING TO PERFORM SUCH ACTION. THIS ACTION COULD PROVE FATAL IF A BICYCLIST OR OTHER BIKES IN THE CATEGORY ARE IN FRONT. THIS IS A DESIGN FLAW. THE TURN SIGNAL IS TOO CLOSE TO THE SPEED ADJUSTER KNOB, AND I COULD FORESEE A SAFETY INCIDENCE OCCURRING DUE TO THIS LAPSE. THANK YOU. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 12/15/2015Date of Incident: 11/25/2015Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10810457Consumer Location: COPPELL, TX
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S28FF…
SUMMARY:
ON THE AFTERNOON OF NOVEMBER 25, 2015, I WAS DRIVING INTO A STRIP MALL PARKING LOT. I WAS GOING TO PULL INTO ONE OF THOSE SPACES WHERE YOU CAN PARK PERPENDICULAR TO A SIDEWALK CURB AND THE SIDEWALK LEADS UP TO THE STORE FRONTS. WHEN APPROACHING THE PARKING SPACE, THE CAR WAS ALREADY IN REGENERATIVE BRAKING MODE, AND ACCORDING TO TESLA’S LOGS, THE CAR SLOWED DOWN TO 3.5 MPH. SINCE THE CAR HAD ENOUGH MOMENTUM TO ROLL INTO THE SPACE ON ITS OWN, MY FOOT WAS NOT ON THE ACCELERATOR OR THE BRAKE PEDAL. MY FOOT WAS UP RESTING ON ITS HEEL, READY TO TAP THE BRAKE WHEN IT GOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE CURB. WHILE THE CAR WAS COASTING INTO THE SPACE THE MOTOR WAS VERY QUIET. ALL OF A SUDDEN, I HEARD A “WHIRRING” SOUND FROM THE MOTOR. I DON’T KNOW HOW BETTER TO DESCRIBE IT, THAN TO SAY IT WAS ALMOST LIKE THE MOTOR WENT FROM A STATE OF SLUMBER TO A FULL STATE OF AWARENESS. I BELIEVE THE MOTOR WAS “WHIRRING” LOUDLY FOR ABOUT A SECOND BEFORE THE CAR TOOK OFF AT SUCH A FAST PACE AND WOUND UP HITTING A BRICK WALL. IT HAPPENED SO QUICKLY, I DIDN’T HAVE ANY TIME TO REACT. AFTER THE IMPACT, I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW THE AIRBAGS DEPLOYED UNTIL I OPENED MY EYES AND SAW THE DEFLATED AIRBAGS IN THE CAR. IT LOOKED LIKE THE CAR JUMPED THE CURB, HIT THE BRICK WALL, BOUNCED BACKWARDS FROM THE IMPACT AND LANDED BACK INTO THE PARKING SPACE. ACCORDING TO TESLA’S LOGS, THE DATA READS THAT THE PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED DOWN TO 97% AND THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT WAS DUE TO DRIVER ERROR. I STAND FIRMLY BY MY STATEMENT THAT MY FOOT WAS NOT ON EITHER THE ACCELERATOR OR THE BRAKE PEDAL WHEN THE CAR ACCELERATED. DATA MAY SHOW THERE WAS PEDAL DEPRESSION BUT I DID NOT DO THE DEPRESSING. THIS WAS DUE TO UNINTENDED ACCELERATION BY THE CAR.

Date Complaint Filed: 09/17/2015Date of Incident: 09/16/2015Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10764853Consumer Location: LAKE FOREST, IL
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S24FF…
SUMMARY:
CAR WAS PARKED IN THE PARKING LOT . WHILE BACKING THE CAR, IT SPIN FAST OUT OF CONTROL EVEN THOUGH BACKING WAS STARTED AT A VERY SLOW SPEED . CAR STOPPED AFTER HITTING FOUR VEHICLES DIRECTLY, AND ONE OF THE VEHICLE HIT OTHER TWO VEHICLES. MAJOR DAMAGE ON THE TESLA CAR IS ON DRIVER SIDE AT BACK, WHERE IT HIT OTHER CARS. IT SPIN ALMOST 180 DEGREES FACING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. IT HIT THE CARS ON BOTH SIDE OF THE PARKING LOT LANE .IT ALL HAPPENED IN 2 TO 3 SECONDS. I WONDER, IF THERE IS AUTOMATIC CONTROL IN THE CAR SO THAT IT DOES NOT GO FAST WHILE REVERSING , AS ACCELERATOR SEEMS TO BE VERY SENSITIVE, OR DOES IT GET STUCK? FLOOR MATS IN THE CAR WERE ORIGINAL AND CAME WITH THE CAR.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/08/2016Date of Incident: 03/02/2016Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHERNHTSA ID Number: 10845619Consumer Location: SILVERADO, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H11EF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT AT AN INTERSECTION THE EVENING OF MARCH 2, 2016, WITHOUT ANY NOTICE, THE CAR ABRUPTLY ACCELERATED AND HIT THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME. MY FOOT WAS ONLY ON THE BRAKE, SO THERE WAS NO REASON FOR THE CAR TO MOVE FORWARD, THERE WAS DAMAGE TO MY CAR, THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME AND A THIRD CAR. I EXPERIENCE THIS ACCELERATION PROBLEM OCCURRED WITH THIS CAR BEFORE, BUT NO HAZARDOUS EVENT OCCURRED. IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THE COMPUTER OVERRIDING THE CONTROL OF THIS CAR?

Date Complaint Filed: 02/15/2016Date of Incident: 09/14/2015Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10836289Consumer Location: SEATTLE, WA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA3H12EF…
SUMMARY:
DRIVER PURCHASED A 2014 TESLA MODEL S CAR IN JUNE 2015 FROM THE HANGZHOU CHINA DEALERSHIP. THIS CAR WAS DRIVEN MODERATELY IN THE FOLLOWING MONTHS. IN SEPTEMBER 14, 2015, THE CAR WAS BEING DRIVEN WITHIN A SMALL, ENCLOSED HOUSING COMPOUND. THE CAR WAS GOING VERY SLOW AS THE DRIVER WAS TURNING TO EXIT THE COMPOUND THROUGH A GATED ENTRANCE. THE CAR SUDDENLY ACCELERATED WITHOUT THE DRIVER’S ASSISTANCE AND DROVE THROUGH THE TRAFFIC GATE BEFORE THE DRIVER WAS ABLE TO QUICKLY BREAK AND BRING THE CAR TO A STOP. ELECTRONIC RECORDS ACCESSED ON SEPTEMBER 15, 2015 REVEALED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: THE CAR WAS ORIGINALLY BEING DRIVEN AT 4.7 KM/HR WITH THE ACCELERATION PEDAL DEPRESSED AT 2.8%. WITHIN ONE SECOND, THE ACCELERATION PEDAL WENT FROM BEING DEPRESSED 2.8% TO 84.8% AND THE CAR INCREASED TO 10.75 KM/HR. DURING THE FOLLOWING SECOND, THE CAR’S RECORDS SHOW THE ACCELERATION PEDAL TO CONTINUE TO BE COMPRESSED AT 84% WITH THE SPEED INCREASING TO 18.35 KM/HR, BUT WITH THE BREAK PEDAL ALSO BEING SIMULTANEOUSLY COMPRESSED. IN THE SUBSEQUENT SECOND, THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKES INITIATED, AND THE CAR WAS BROUGHT TO A STOP A SECOND LATER. WE REJECT THE DEALERSHIP’S DECISION THAT THIS WAS DRIVER’S ERROR. IN SUCH A NARROW ENVIRONMENT AS THE HOUSING COMPOUND, AND DURING A SLOW AND CONTROLLED TURN, THERE THE DRIVER HAD NO REASON TO PUT SIGNIFICANT PRESSURE ON THE ACCELERATION PEDAL AS THE RECORDS SHOW – WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL. WE ALSO FEEL THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT FOR THE DRIVER TO PUSH BOTH THE ACCELERATOR AND BREAK PEDAL TO SUCH A DEGREE SIMULTANEOUSLY. THEREFORE, WE BELIEVE THAT THE CAR EXPERIENCED AN UNINTENDED ACCELERATION, WHICH WAS NOT OF THE DRIVER’S CAUSING. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY SIMILAR REPORTS OF TESLA MODEL S UNINTENDED ACCELERATION CRASHES IN CHINA. WE FEEL THAT THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARD WHICH NEEDS TO BE FURTHER INVESTIGATED.

Date Complaint Filed: 09/29/2014Date of Incident: 07/19/2014Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10639935Consumer Location: BAKERSFIELD, CA
Details close
Crash:Yes Fire:No Number of Injuries:1 Number of Deaths:0
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H13EF…
SUMMARY:
I PULLED SLOWLY IN TO A PARKING SPOT & MY CAR WAS AT A STOP POSITION JUST READY TO PUSH PARK BUTTON. WITHIN A SPLIT OF A SECOND, MY CAR (TESLA) JUMPED THE CURB AND TRAVELED 5’ OF SIDEWALK BREAKING A GLASS WALL & TRAVELING THROUGH A RESTAURANT BREAKING TABLES & CHAIRS WITHIN COUPLE OF SECONDS W/O ME ACCELERATING THE PEDAL. BRAKE PEDAL WAS APPLIED BY ME HALF WAY THROUGH THE RESTAURANT BEFORE THE CAR STOPPED. NO SERIOUS INJURIES TO ANYONE. TESLA WAS NOTIFIED & THIS IS THE LOG FILE DATA WORD BY WORD FROM THEM. ?AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENT THAT RESULTED IN DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE, YOU INCREASED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION FROM 1% TO 50% IN LESS THAN ONE SECOND WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. ONE SECOND LATER, YOU INCREASED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO 100% WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. ONE SECOND LATER, YOU CONTINUED DEPRESSING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AT 100% WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE PEDAL; HOWEVER, THE VEHICLE’S TRACTION CONTROL ENGAGED & THEREFORE LIMITED THE VEHICLE’S TORQUE DESPITE THE FACT YOU WERE DEPRESSING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AT 100% UNTIL YOU DEPRESSED THE BRAKE PEDAL IN THE FOLLOWING SECOND.? INSUFFICIENT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY TESLA. HOW MUCH WAS THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL DEPRESSED? SPEED OF THE CAR? DISTANCE TRAVEL? HOW DOES THIS PROVE THAT THIS IS NOT SUDDEN ACCELERATION? THE LOG DOES PROVE THAT I WAS AT A STOP. MY CAR WILL BE TOTALED BUT IS STILL SITTING AT STORAGE WITH INSURANCE COMPANY FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. MANY ACCIDENTS WITH TESLA HAS OCCURRED, EVEN JUST LIKE MINE IN TO A RESTAURANT( HTTP://INSIDEEVS.COM/TESLA-MODEL-S-CRASHES-THROUGH-RESTAURANT-DRIVER-BLAMES-IT-ON-UNINTENDED-ACCELERATION/) (HTTP://WWW.MOTORAUTHORITY.COM/NEWS/1087171_TESLA-MODEL-S-UNINTENDED-ACCELERATION-COMPLAINT-FILED-WITH-NHTSA.) THEY CAN’T ALL BE DRIVERS FAULT. NHTSA NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THE BOX IN THE CAR BEFORE FATAL INJURIES OCCUR. PUBLIC SAFETY SHOULD BE THE PRIORITY. *TR

Date Complaint Filed: 09/29/2014Date of Incident: 07/19/2014Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10639849Consumer Location: BAKERSFIELD, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H13EF…
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2014 TESLA MODEL S. WHILE PULLING INTO A PARKING SPACE, THE VEHICLE SURGED FORWARD, JUMPED THE CURB, AND CRASHED INTO A BUILDING. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO AN IMPOUND LOT. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 1,200.

Date Complaint Filed: 03/02/2016Date of Incident: 02/24/2016Component(s): ENGINE , SERVICE BRAKES , STRUCTURENHTSA ID Number: 10839579Consumer Location: PLEASANTON, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN0DF…
SUMMARY:
SLOWLY PULLING INTO A PARKING SPOT AT A STRIP MALL, I RELEASED MY FOOT OFF OF THE GAS, LIGHTLY TAPPED BRAKE AND THE CAR “UNINTENTIONALLY ACCELERATED” INTO A PALM TREE IN FRONT OF A BRICK PILLAR AT A STRIP MALL. I BACKED OUT TO ASSESS THE DAMAGE. HUSBAND WAS WITNESS IN DRIVER’S SEAT. THIS IS THE 2ND TIME THIS HAPPENED TO ME, (LAST YEAR AT A GROCERY STORE PARKING LOT) ALTHO THE FIRST TIME NO DAMAGE WAS DONE AND NO REPORTS WERE FILED. POOR DECISION IN HINDSIGHT! SINCE NO PERSON WAS INJURED, THE POLICE DEPT WOULD NOT TAKE A REPORT. INSURANCE WAS CALLED AS WELL AS TESLA. TESLA TOOK 6 DAYS TO PULL LOGS AND ASSURED US IT WAS BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY AND ESCALATED TO MANAGEMENT. WE RECEIVED A CALL YESTERDAY FROM TOSHA AT TESLA, RELAYING THAT THEY DETERMINED THAT T WAS DRIVER ERROR AND LOG REPORTS SHOW THAT AS THE CAR WAS PULLING INTO THE SPOT, IT WAS ON A 3 ON A SCALE OF 100 AND THEN IT ACCELERATED 87% AND THE BRAKE WAS APPLIED. DOES NOT MAKE LOGICAL SENSE THAT THE CAR COULD ACCELERATE 87% IN A MATTER OF 2 FEET! I AM 150% SURE I DID NOT HIT THE ACCELERATOR. I AM 47, NOT A 90 YR OLD WOMAN WHO MAY HAVE PEDAL CONFUSION. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED WITH ANY OF OUR OTHER NON-TESLA CARS NOR IN MY 40+ YEARS OF DRIVING CARS OR MOTORCYCLES. THEIR RESPONSE IS SUSPECT AND WE ARE QUITE FRANKLY FEARFUL TO DRIVE THE CAR SAFELY. THIS STIP MALL HAS LOTS OF PEOPLE THAT WALK BY, ESP ELDERLY AND THE FACT THAT NO ONE OR THE PILLAR WAS HIT IS A BLESSING. AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. I WILL BE ASKING TESLA FOR A WRITTEN REPORT OF THEIR FINDINGS BUT NOT CONFIDENT IT WILL BE PROVIDED. WE PLAN TO SEEK COUNSEL AS WELL ESP SINCE THIS IS CONSIDERED AN “AT FAULT ACCIDENT”.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/24/2015Date of Incident: 05/07/2013Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHERNHTSA ID Number: 10758908Consumer Location: THOUSAND OAKS, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CG5DF…
SUMMARY:
THIS ACCIDENT REPORT IS A PREVIOUS ACCIDENT INVOLVING THE SAME 2013 TESLA MODEL S 60 AS REPORTED IN THE NHTSA REPORT FILED ON AUGUST 24, 2015. ON ON MAY 7, 2013 WHILE DRIVING MY 2013 MODEL S 60, I PULLED INTO A PARKING SPACE IN THOUSAND OAKS, CALIFORNIA MAKING A LEFT TURN INTO THE SPOT. AS I PULLED IN, I LET MY FOOT OFF OF THE ACCELERATOR,AND APPLIED THE BREAK. THE CAR LURCHED FORWARD, JUMPING A PARKING BLOCK, THEN OVER A CURB, AND FINALLY INTO A CEMENT LIGHT POST. THE AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND I WAS STUNNED. I IMMEDIATELY CALLED TESLA WHO SENT A QUALIFIED TESLA TOW TRUCK. IT TOOK TWO HOURS TO GET THE CAR ONTO A FLAT-BED TRUCK BECAUSE THE CAR LOST ALL POWER AND SHUT DOWN. IT HAD TO BE DRAGGED OVER TWO PARKING BLOCKS, SUSTAINING EVEN MORE DAMAGE. TESLA SENT THE CAR DIRECTLY TO THE BODY SHOP. I INSISTED THAT THEY RUN A DIAGNOSTIC TEST BECAUSE I WAS (AND STILL AM) CERTAIN THAT THE CAR ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN. THE VAN NUYS SERVICE CENTER REP SAID THAT THE CAR HAD TO BE REPAIRED FIRST BEFORE ANY DIAGNOSTIC TEST COULD BE RUN. AFTER THREE WEEKS I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM TESLA. THE ENGINEERS REPORTED TO ME THAT THE ACCELERATOR WAS DEPRESSED TO 48%, SECONDS BEFORE THE ACCIDENT AND 98.4% AT THE TIME OF IMPACT. I STILL BELIEVE THAT THE CAR ACCELERATED BY ITSELF. IT IS MY SINCERE HOPE THAT BY REPORTING THIS ACCIDENT (AND THE SUBSEQUENT ACCIDENT ON JULY 16, 2015) FURTHER INVESTIGATIONS CAN BE CONDUCTED BEFORE PEOPLE ARE SERIOUSLY INJURED OR WORSE. MY INSURANCE COMPANY (FARMERS) DOES NOT INTEND TO INVESTIGATE. IT IS LESS EXPENSIVE FOR THEM TO PAY FOR A REPLACEMENT VALUE THAN TO DETERMINE THE TRUE CAUSE OF THIS INCIDENT. FORTUNATELY, YOU AND YOUR AGENCY ASPIRE TO A HIGHER PURPOSE.

Date Complaint Filed: 08/24/2015Date of Incident: 07/16/2015Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEMNHTSA ID Number: 10758893Consumer Location: THOUSAND OAKS, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CG5DF…
SUMMARY:
ON JULY 16, 2015 WHILE DRIVING MY 2013 MODEL S 60, I MADE A RIGHT HAND TURN INTO A PARKING SPACE IN SIMI VALLEY, CALIFORNIA. AS I PULLED INTO THE SPACE, I TOOK MY FOOT OFF OF THE ACCELERATOR AND APPLIED THE BREAKS. INSTEAD OF STOPPING, THE CAR LURCHED FORWARD OVER A CURB AND A BERM, STOPPING WHEN IT HIT A FIRE HYDRANT, PROPELLING IT OFF OF ITS BOLTS, GENERATING A HUGE GEYSER OF WATER. BECAUSE OF THE TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF WATER GUSHING OVER MY CAR, I HAD NO VISIBILITY AND ELECTED TO STAY IN THE CAR WHILE ATTEMPTING TO DIAL 911. MOMENTS LATER, A MAN WHO HAD BEEN SITTING IN THE CAR NEXT TO THE SPACE WHERE I WAS ATTEMPTING TO PARK, OPENED THE BACK DOOR TO ASK ABOUT MY CONDITION. I THEN EXITED THE CAR. I WAS NOT INJURED AND THANK GOODNESS THE CAR HAD NOT HIT ANOTHER PERSON OR ANOTHER CAR. IT TOOK A TOW TRUCK ABOUT 15 MINUTES TO ARRIVE AT THE SCENE. ALL THE WHILE THE TORRENTIAL WATER SURGED AROUND, UNDER AND OVER MY CAR AND NOW FLOODED THE INTERIOR. ACCORDING TO TESLA, EITHER THE CAR SHORTED-OUT CAUSING ALL OF THE WINDOWS TO ROLL DOWN OR THERE IS A SAFETY FEATURE THAT CAUSES THE WINDOWS TO ROLL DOWN IF THE CAR PERCEIVES IT IS UNDER WATER. THE MAN WHO BRAVED THE FLOOD OF WATER FROM THE FIRE HYDRANT TO CHECK ON ME SAW THE ENTIRE ACCIDENT AS HE WAS SITTING IN HIS CAR. HE SAID THAT MY BREAK LIGHTS WERE ON AS MY CAR WENT OVER THE BERM. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CAUSED THE CAR TO ACCELERATE BY ITSELF AND I AM CERTAIN THAT MY FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. THE NEXT DAY, I HEARD FROM BOTH MY INSURANCE COMPANY AND THE BODY SHOP THAT TESLA WANTED THE CAR AT THEIR SERVICE CENTER IN VAN NUYS. SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, THE CLAIMS ADJUSTER CALLED TO SAY THAT DUE TO THE HEAVY WATER DAMAGE, THE CAR HAS BEEN ?TOTALED?. I AM WRITING THIS COMPLAINT ON THE NHTSA’S WEBSITE BECAUSE I BELIEVE THERE IS SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG WITH THIS PARTICULAR CAR. ALSO, SEE NHTSA REPORT OF PREVIOUS 2013 ACCIDENT.
Request Research help
Date Complaint Filed: 08/18/2015Date of Incident: 08/04/2015Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10749575Consumer Location: RANCHO SANTA FE, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DN5DF…
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 TESLA MODEL S. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED WITHOUT WARNING TO ITS MAXIMUM ACCELERATION RATE AND CRASHED INTO FIVE PARKED VEHICLES. THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE WAS DAMAGED AND THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED AWAY BY AAA. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED BUT WAS UNABLE TO ADVISE THE CONTACT OF THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 9,021.

Date Complaint Filed: 01/30/2014Date of Incident: 11/20/2013Component(s): POWER TRAIN , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10562266Consumer Location: CINNAMINSON, NJ
Details close
help 1 Available Document expand
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 TESLA S 985. THE CONTACT STATED THAT HE WAS EXPERIENCING SEVERAL FAILURES WITH THE VEHICLE. THERE WERE VARIOUS SHIFTING ISSUES WHEN USING REVERSE. IN ADDITION, UNINTENDED ACCELERATION OCCURRED ONLY WHEN DRIVING IN EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WHERE THE COMPUTER SYSTEM WAS REPROGRAMMED BUT THE FAILURES RECURRED. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 200. THE VIN WAS UNAVAILABLE. …UPDATED 04-16-14 BF UPDATED 04/17/14LJ THE CONSUMER STATED AFTER THE RE-FLASH, HE NO LONGER WAS ABLE TO PUT THE VEHICLE IN REVERSE. UPDATED 05/20/14

Date Complaint Filed: 09/26/2013Date of Incident: 07/29/2013Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10545488Consumer Location: LAGUNA HILLS, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN1DF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS AT A FULL STOP WAITING TO TURN LEFT INTO THE PARKING GARAGE. WHEN IT WAS CLEAR OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC FOR ME TO MAKE THE LEFT TURN, I RELEASED MY FOOT OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL AND THE CAR INSTANTLY SURGED FORWARD VERY FAST AND HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE PARKED IN THE FRONT OF THE GARAGE. THIS ALL HAPPENED SO QUICKLY THAT I DID NOT HAVE TIME TO AVOID THE IMPACT. THE TIME OF OCCURRENCE WAS IN BROAD DAYLIGHT AT ABOUT 6PM PST. I HAVE DRIVEN THIS CAR FOR ALMOST 10000 MILES PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT AND KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THE CAR AND UNDERSTAND THE TORQUE THIS CAR HAS. I HAVE MADE THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF STOPS AND STARTS WITH THIS VEHICLE AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED. THERE IS NO OTHER TERM TO DESCRIBE THIS OTHER THAN SUDDEN ACCELERATION. THE LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT DISPATCHED AN OFFICER AND NO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL WAS INVOLVED. *JS TESLA INSTRUCTED THEIR STAFF TO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH ME ABOUT THIS ACCIDENT. *JS

Date Complaint Filed: 09/24/2013Date of Incident: 09/21/2013Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10545230Consumer Location: SAN DIEGO, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN9DF…
SUMMARY:
THE CAR WAS GOING AT ABOUT 5 MPH GOING DOWN A SHORT RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAY. BRAKE WAS CONSTANTLY APPLIED. THE CAR SUDDENLY ACCELERATED. IT HIT A CURB AND THE MIDDLE PORTION OF THE CAR LANDED ON A 4.5 FT HIGH VERTICAL RETAINING WALL. THE WALL IS ONE FOOT AWAY FROM THE CURB. THE FRONT PORTION OF THE CAR WAS HANGING UP IN THE AIR. THE CAR WAS AT ABOUT 45 DEGREE UP AND ABOUT 20 DEGREE TILTED TOWARD THE RIGHT SIDE. AN ENGINEER FROM TESLA SAID THE RECORD SHOWED THE ACCELERATING PEDAL WAS STEPPED ON AND IT ACCELERATED FROM 18% TO 100% IN SPLIT SECOND. HE BLAMED MY WIFE STEPPING ON THE ACCELERATING PEDAL. BUT HE ALSO SAID THERE WAS A BUILT-IN SAFE-GUARD THAT THE ACCELERATOR COULDNOT GO BEYOND 92%. THE STATEMENTS ARE CONTRADICTORY. IF THERE IS A SAFEGUARD THAT THE ACCELERATOR CANNOT GO BEYOUND 92%, THERE WOULD BE NO WAY THAT MY WIFE COULD STEP ON IT 100%. THERE WERE SOME MECHANICAL PROBLEM THAT CAUSED THE ACCELERATOR TO ACCELERATE ON ITS OWN FROM 18% TO 100% IN SPLIT SECOND. *LN UPDATED 12/30/2013 *JS

Unless…

Date Complaint Filed: 08/05/2016Date of Incident: 07/26/2016Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10893520Consumer Location: SAN GABRIEL, CA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E47GF…
SUMMARY:
WHILE ACCELERATING AT A FREEWAY ON-RAMP FROM A STAND STILL, THE ACCELERATOR PEDDLE SNAPPED OFF AT FULL THROTTLE. NO ACCIDENT OCCURRED, WAS ABLE TO GET OFF THE FREEWAY SAFELY BY PRESSING ON THE REMAINING PEDDLE WITH HAND.

Mind you…could have ended worse.
MUCH worse.

Oh my god… we need to graph complaints vs. number of cars sold for each manufacturer

I think we should graph several categories of failures against normal manufacturers of comparable cars.
Either NHTSA is asleep at the wheel or Musk is enjoying special treatment.

Let’s do it. Especially interested in complaints per car sold - can’t let tesla get off on low sales volume. Do you have suggestions for comparable cars?

How about Porsche?

Porsche Sets Record Year in 2015 with 51,756 Vehicles Delivered in …
press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=971
Jan 5, 2016 - “We are very proud that for the first time in the history of Porsche in the United States, sales have exceeded 50,000 vehicles in a year,” said .

Tesla Model S: Sales in 2015 set a number of new records | BGR

Jan 3, 2016 - Tesla sold more than 50,000 Model S sedans in 2015, a new annual record … By way of contrast, Tesla’s previous annual delivery record, set in …

Pretty similar volume performance and buyer demographic.

Just need to collect the stats…

Keef is on the case :sunglasses:

Porsche unintended acceleration complaints NHTSA for all model cars between 2013 and 2016.
Source Aboutautomobiles.com

Incident Date:
August 7, 2012
Date Added to File:
December 2, 2012
Description of the Complaint:
The car accelerated unexpectedly. This has happened approximately 4 times after the 1st. Incident. The dealer was unable to find any problem. The car now has about 3,500 miles on it. Each time I was able to immediately hit the brake and avoid an accident. It only happens at low speed or engine idle with my foot off the brake.

Complaint Number:
Incident Date:
March 27, 2013
Date Added to File:
July 8, 2013
The contact owns a 2013 porsche 911 carrera 4. The contact stated that while at a traffic stop, the vehicle surged forward without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 500 and the current mileage was 3,000. The vin was not available.

Incident Date:
October 10, 2015
Date Added to File:
November 12, 2015
I was driving up my driveway slowly (less than 5 mph), planning to make a 90-degree left turn into my garage. As I approached the corner of the house but before I reached the point where I planned to turn, the car suddenly surged forward. I was not applying the accelerator. I hit the brakes and nothing happened. I applied the brakes even harder but the car kept going, hit my garbage cans and ran over them, knocked the fence down and finally stopped in my back yard. I am not sure if the brakes finally overrode the acceleration or if damage to the underside of the car (due to it running over the concrete fence post anchor) caused it to stop. Photos and security video show the car laid down tire track marks while moving very slowly. Porsche says there is “no evidence” that the car was not “operating as designed.”
Details

Complaint Number:
Incident Date:
August 6, 2014
Date Added to File:
August 21, 2014
The car was driven slowly (5 mph) to the back of large parking lot. As the space was entered and driver attempted to stop car, the car accelerated and continued through the end of the parking space, went over the grass divider, down a hill and hit a parked car. Driver was attempting to step on brakes to stop vehicle.

That makes a total of 4 complaints.
I declare Tesla with 20 complaints the runaway winner :smiley:

And now for something completely different (derp)

Date Complaint Filed: 08/20/2016Date of Incident: 08/01/2016Component(s): SERVICE BRAKESNHTSA ID Number: 10897376Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): UNKNOWN…
SUMMARY:
HERE IS A FORUM POST IN WHICH AN OWNER OF A TESLA CERTIFIED PRE OWNED CAR REPORTS THAT HE HAD 4 SEIZED BRAKE CALIPER PISTONS. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/4-BENT-WHEELS.75765/ CUBLDR97, THURSDAY AT 6:53 PM I PURCHASED A CPO 2013 MODEL S85 IN FEB OF THIS YEAR. LOVE THE CAR, BUT THE CAR SEEMED TO HAVE A WHEEL OUT OF BALANCE OR SOMETHING THAT CAUSED THE CAR TO VIBRATE AND SHUDDER A BIT AT 80MPH… 19 INCH WHEELS SWITCHED OUT THE BRAND NEW TIRES FOR WINTER TIRES, SEEMED BETTER BUT STILL SHUDDERED. WINTER TIRES WERE ON FOR ABOUT 4000 MILES, HAD REALLY UNEVEN WEAR, THEN PUT THE REGULAR TIRES BACK ON AND HAD AN ALIGNMENT DONE, CAR STILL SHUDDERS, HAD WHEELS BALANCED AGAIN, NO REAL IMPROVEMENT. FINALLY GOT THE CAR LOOKED AT TODAY FOR THE SHUDDER, AND SQUEAKY SUSPENSION. HERE IS WHAT I GOT IN AN EMAIL… “THE TECHNICIANS ARE WORKING ON YOUR CAR. THE CAR IS NEED OF ALL 4 WHEELS. THEY ARE SIGNIFICANTLY BENT AND A COUPLE OF THEM IN MORE THAN ONE SPOT ON THE SAME WHEEL. THE TECHNICIAN ALSO NOTICED ALL 4 CALIPER PISTONS ARE SEIZED AND THE SWAY BAR LINK HAS EXCESSIVE PLAY.” THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN PICKED UP BY TESLA MECHANICS BEFORE THE CAR WAS SOLD THERE ARE REPORTS BY OWNERS ON OTHER THREADS REPORTING PREMATURE RUSTING OF BRAKE PARTS. EXAMPLE: HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/OUCH-FIRST-HUGE-REPAIR-BILL.70396/ IT IS OF CONCERN THAT THESE FAULTS ARE NOT BEING DETECTED BY TESLA SERVICE AND THAT IN MOST JURISDICTIONS THE TESLA FLEET IS STILL TOO YOUNG TO REQUIRE ANNUAL SAFETY INSPECTIONS. PERHAPS THIS IS A FACTOR CAUSING THE VERY LARGE NUMBER OF SALVAGE TESLAS SHOWING UP THAT HAVE HEAVY FRONT END DAMAGE PLEASE INVESTIGATE.

NOTHING TO DO WITH ME :laughing:

Date Complaint Filed: 08/24/2016Date of Incident: 07/08/2016Component(s): FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM , STRUCTURE , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10898260Consumer Location: ORMOND BEACH, FL
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCBE21GF…
SUMMARY:
ON JULY 8TH 2016, AT 9:37 A.M., WHILE SLOWLY PULLING INTO A PARKING SPACE AT CREEKWOOD DOG PARK IN BRADENTON FLORIDA, MY TESLA MODEL X SUDDENLY ACCELERATED UNDER ITS OWN VOLITION, DROVE OVER A PARKING STOP, OVER A FIVE INCH CURB, AND THEN HIT AND KNOCKED OVER A CONCRETE LIGHT POLE. ALL THIS HAPPENED IN A DISTANCE OF LESS THAN TWENTY FEET. TESLA WAS NOTIFIED IMMEDIATELY AND THE CAR WAS TAKEN TO DIMMITT COLLISION CENTER IN CLEARWATER, FLORIDA. THE SERVICE MANAGER AT TESLA OF TAMPA, TOLD ME VERBALLY THE LOG FROM THE EDR SAYS THE CAR WAS TRAVELING AT 6 MPH, THEN THE ACCELERATOR WAS ADVANCED TO OVER 50% AND THEN TO 87%. THE CAR ACCELERATED TO 20 MPH AND ABRUPTLY STOPPED. I DENIED THIS SCENARIO AND ASKED FOR A SUPERVISOR. TESLA’S SOUTHEAST REGIONAL MANAGER MET US AT THE BODY SHOP. HE HANDED ME A LETTER THAT HAD DIFFERENT EDR RESULTS-VEHICLE SPEED WAS 7 MPH, PEDAL POSITION WENT FROM 3.2% TO 15.6% TO 100% AND CAR WENT TO 14 MPH. THE FIRST REPAIR ESTIMATE SHOWED ACTUAL MILEAGE AS 205 AND A SUBSEQUENT REPAIR ESTIMATE SHOWS THE ACTUAL MILEAGE AS 1425. THESE FIGURES ARE INACCURATE SINCE I HAD LOOKED AT THE ODOMETER SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE THE ACCIDENT AND THE MILEAGE WAS OVER 1800. I INFORMED TESLA THAT I AM POSITIVE BEYOND A SHADOW OF DOUBT THAT THE CAR’S ELECTRONIC THROTTLE COMPUTER WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACCIDENT WHICH THEY DENY. THIS APPEARS TO BE THE INDUSTRY STANDARD SINCE EXPERTS WILL TESTIFY THAT ALTHOUGH A CAR IS RESPONSIBLE FOR UNINTENDED ACCELERATION THERE WILL BE NO TRACEABLE EVIDENCE OF THAT RESPONSIBILITY AND THEREFORE THE MANUFACTURER HAS PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY. TESLAS ARE UNDERGOING UNINTENDED ACCELERATION AT A RATE MORE FREQUENT THAN 1/5,000 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED. THIS IS WAY MORE FREQUENT THAN THE INDUSTRY STANDARD. GENERAL MOTORS HAS AN EXTREMELY GOOD RATE OF 1/123,000 VEHICLES.

Who the hell trusts the Tesla logs if the car is accelerating unintentionally? Of course the computer is going to log that the footpedal got pressed, because it unintentionally accelerated. God those logs are worthless; it just proves that the computer did a shit job.

I wish I could get my hands on some of those log records.

Handy compilation of VROOOM accidents compiled by a cranky owner.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/two-more-unintended-accelerations-model-xs

Case No. 22

Date Complaint Filed: 06/21/2016
Date of Incident: 04/04/2016
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10875699
Consumer Location: WEST CHICAGO, IL
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): YJSA1H26FFP…2015 Model S
SUMMARY:
ELECTRONIC PARKING, WHILE PARKING THE AUTOMOBILE IN THE GARAGE I PRESSED THE PARKING OPTION. THE AUTOMOBILE SURGED, RAMMED THE GARAGE, BACKED UP AND RAMMED THE GARAGE AGAIN AND CAREENED BACKWARDS INTO THE STREET.

Case No. 21

Date Complaint Filed: 06/17/2016
Date of Incident: 06/10/2016
Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10874744
Consumer Location: SAN JOSE, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E28FF…2015 Model S
SUMMARY:
UNINTENDED, UNCOMMANDED ACCELERATION. CAR RAPIDLY ACCELERATED TO MAXIMUM THROTTLE DURING PARKING MANEUVER IN A PARKING STRUCTURE. I WAS TRAVELLING AT 3MPH. CAR ACCELERATED, HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE AND A WALL. TESLA CLAIMS VEHICLE LOGS SHOW THROTTLE WAS COMMANDED TO 98%. AT NO TIME DID I HAVE ANYTHING BUT A LIGHT TOUCH ON THE THROTTLE.

Case No. 20

Date Complaint Filed: 06/07/2016
Date of Incident: 06/04/2016
Component(s): AIR BAGS , STRUCTURE , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10873117
Consumer Location: ANAHEIM, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCAE46GF…(2016 Model X)
SUMMARY:
OUR 5 DAY OLD TESLA X WHILE ENTERING A PARKING STALL SUDDENLY AND UNEXPECTEDLY ACCELERATED AT HIGH SPEED ON ITS OWN CLIMBING OVER GRASS AND CRASHED INTO A BUILDING. THE AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND MY WIFE’S ARMS HAVE BURN MARKS AS A CONSEQUENCE.

Case No. 19
Date Complaint Filed: 05/10/2016
Date of Incident: 05/06/2016
NHTSA ID Number: 10864163
Consumer Location: FREDERICK, MD
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E13GF…(2016 Model S)
SUMMARY:
UNINTENDED ACCELERATION OCCURRED ON 2 SEPARATE OCCASIONS WITH 2 DIFFERENT DRIVERS WITHIN 2 WEEKS. MODEL S 70D INCIDENT 1: MY WIFE WAS AT A STOP SIGN. SHE REMOVED HER FOOT FROM THE BRAKE AND BEFORE APPLYING THE ACCELERATOR THE CAR SURGED FORWARD AGGRESSIVELY. SINCE HER FOOT NEVER TOUCHED THE ACCELERATOR SHE WAS ABLE TO APPLY THE BRAKE AND STOP WITHIN 8-10 FEET. SHE WAS VISIBLY SHAKEN WHEN SHE GOT HOME BUT, REGRETTABLY, NO REPORT WAS FILED. INCIDENT 2: ABOUT 2 WEEKS LATER, MAY 6, I WAS PULLING INTO MY GARAGE WITH MY WIFE AND BABY IN THE VEHICLE. 2-3 FEET FROM THE THE GARAGE WALL (IN CREEP MODE) I GENTLY TOUCHED THE BRAKE TO COME TO A STOP. AT THAT POINT THE CAR SURGED FORWARD VERY AGGRESSIVELY. I IMMEDIATELY APPLIED HEAVY BRAKE AND WAS ABLE TO STOP THE CAR IN A FEW FEET (SINCE MY FOOT WAS ALREADY OVER THE BRAKE PEDAL). THE FRONT END HIT THE GARAGE WALL AND PENETRATED 10-12 INCHES CAUSING DRYWALL DAMAGE AND SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO OUR POWDER ROOM ON THE OTHER SIDE. A REPORT WITH TESLA WAS FILED IMMEDIATELY. LOGS WERE DOWLOADED AND SHOW THAT THE ACCELERATOR WAS DEPRESSED TO 97% POWER IN LESS THAN A SECOND AND THAT IT WAS DRIVER ERROR. MY WIFE AND I HAVE A COMBINED 48 YEARS OF ACCIDENT FREE DRIVING AND NEITHER OF US HAVE EVER MISTAKEN CONTROL PEDALS OR HAVE EVER FLOORED A GAS PEDAL IN A SECOND. MY WIFE IS 37, HEALTHY AND A PHYSICIAN, I AM A HEALTHY 42 YEAR OLD PILOT. WE CAN BOTH SAY WITH 100% CERTAINTY THAT NEITHER INCIDENT WAS DRIVER ERROR. TESLA HAS A SERIOUS UNINTENDED ACCELERATION PROBLEM ALSO MADE EVIDENT BY THE OTHER COMPLAINTS FILED ON NHTSA, ALL OF WHICH SEEM TO FALL UNDER SIMILAR OPERATING PARAMETERS. WE NOW HAVE A $90,000 CAR SITTING IN OUR GARAGE THAT IS UNSAFE FOR MY FAMILY, IT SEEMS TESLA IS GOING THE ROUTE OF WAITING FOR INJURY AND DEATHS TO OCCUR BEFORE THEY ACKNOWLEDGE THIS SAFETY DEFECT.

Case No. 18
Date Complaint Filed: 05/11/2016
Date of Incident: 05/11/2016
NHTSA ID Number: 10864353
Consumer Location: DENHAM SPRINGS, LA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1E23FF…(2015 Model S)
SUMMARY:
WHILE DRIVING SLOWLY ~5MPH IN A WAL MART PARKING LOT, MY WIFE WENT TO PULL INTO A PARKING SPOT, SHE TOOK HER FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AND THE CAR ACCELERATED “FULLY” ALMOST HITTING THE CAR IN FRONT. MY WIFE HAD TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES TO PREVENT AN ACCIDENT.

=====================================================================================

Case No. 17
Date Complaint Filed: 04/29/2016
Date of Incident: 04/28/2016
Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER
NHTSA ID Number: 10862194
Consumer Location: NEW CITY, NY
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H2XFF…(2015 Model S)
SUMMARY:
THE CAR WAS BEING SLOWLY PULLED INTO A PARKING SPACE AT A BANK WHEN IT EXPECTANTLY ACCELERATED. IT JUMPED A CURB, PASSED THOUGH SHRUBS, CLIPPED A TREE, AND WAS ABLE TO BE STEERED AWAY FROM A LIGHT POLE. IT CAME TO REST HALF INTO THE ROAD. THERE WERE SKID MARKS FROM THE ATTEMPTED BRAKING THAT WERE PHOTOGRAPHED. NONE THE SAFETY FEATURES INCLUDING PROXIMITY WARNING, AND COLLISION AVOIDANCE OR AIR BAGS ACTIVATED.

====================================================================================

Case No. 16
Date Complaint Filed: 03/08/2016
Date of Incident: 03/02/2016
NHTSA ID Number: 10845619
Consumer Location: SILVERADO, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H11EF… (2014 Model S)
SUMMARY:
I WAS STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT AT AN INTERSECTION THE EVENING OF MARCH 2, 2016, WITHOUT ANY NOTICE, THE CAR ABRUPTLY ACCELERATED AND HIT THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME. MY FOOT WAS ONLY ON THE BRAKE, SO THERE WAS NO REASON FOR THE CAR TO MOVE FORWARD, THERE WAS DAMAGE TO MY CAR, THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME AND A THIRD CAR. I EXPERIENCED THIS ACCELERATION PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR BEFORE, BUT NO HAZARDOUS EVENT OCCURRED. IS THERE A PROBLEM WITH THE COMPUTER OVERRIDING THE CONTROL OF THIS CAR?

====================================================================================

Case No. 15
Date Complaint Filed: 03/02/2016
Date of Incident: 02/24/2016
Component(s): ENGINE , SERVICE BRAKES , STRUCTURE
NHTSA ID Number: 10839579
Consumer Location: PLEASANTON, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN0DF…(2013 Model S)

SUMMARY:
SLOWLY PULLING INTO A PARKING SPOT AT A STRIP MALL, I RELEASED MY FOOT OFF OF THE GAS, LIGHTLY TAPPED BRAKE AND THE CAR “UNINTENTIONALLY ACCELERATED” INTO A PALM TREE IN FRONT OF A BRICK PILLAR AT A STRIP MALL. I BACKED OUT TO ASSESS THE DAMAGE. HUSBAND WAS WITNESS IN DRIVER’S SEAT. THIS IS THE 2ND TIME THIS HAPPENED TO ME, (LAST YEAR AT A GROCERY STORE PARKING LOT) ALTHO THE FIRST TIME NO DAMAGE WAS DONE AND NO REPORTS WERE FILED. POOR DECISION IN HINDSIGHT! SINCE NO PERSON WAS INJURED, THE POLICE DEPT WOULD NOT TAKE A REPORT. INSURANCE WAS CALLED AS WELL AS TESLA. TESLA TOOK 6 DAYS TO PULL LOGS AND ASSURED US IT WAS BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY AND ESCALATED TO MANAGEMENT. WE RECEIVED A CALL YESTERDAY FROM TOSHA AT TESLA, RELAYING THAT THEY DETERMINED THAT T WAS DRIVER ERROR AND LOG REPORTS SHOW THAT AS THE CAR WAS PULLING INTO THE SPOT, IT WAS ON A 3 ON A SCALE OF 100 AND THEN IT ACCELERATED 87% AND THE BRAKE WAS APPLIED. DOES NOT MAKE LOGICAL SENSE THAT THE CAR COULD ACCELERATE 87% IN A MATTER OF 2 FEET! I AM 150% SURE I DID NOT HIT THE ACCELERATOR. I AM 47, NOT A 90 YR OLD WOMAN WHO MAY HAVE PEDAL CONFUSION. THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED WITH ANY OF OUR OTHER NON-TESLA CARS NOR IN MY 40+ YEARS OF DRIVING CARS OR MOTORCYCLES. THEIR RESPONSE IS SUSPECT AND WE ARE QUITE FRANKLY FEARFUL TO DRIVE THE CAR SAFELY. THIS STIP MALL HAS LOTS OF PEOPLE THAT WALK BY, ESP ELDERLY AND THE FACT THAT NO ONE OR THE PILLAR WAS HIT IS A BLESSING. AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. I WILL BE ASKING TESLA FOR A WRITTEN REPORT OF THEIR FINDINGS BUT NOT CONFIDENT IT WILL BE PROVIDED. WE PLAN TO SEEK COUNSEL AS WELL ESP SINCE THIS IS CONSIDERED AN “AT FAULT ACCIDENT”.

Case No. 14
Date Complaint Filed: 02/15/2016
Date of Incident: 09/14/2015
NHTSA ID Number: 10836289
Consumer Location: SEATTLE, WA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA3H12EF…(2014 Model S)
SUMMARY:
DRIVER PURCHASED A 2014 TESLA MODEL S CAR IN JUNE 2015 FROM THE HANGZHOU CHINA DEALERSHIP. THIS CAR WAS DRIVEN MODERATELY IN THE FOLLOWING MONTHS. IN SEPTEMBER 14, 2015, THE CAR WAS BEING DRIVEN WITHIN A SMALL, ENCLOSED HOUSING COMPOUND. THE CAR WAS GOING VERY SLOW AS THE DRIVER WAS TURNING TO EXIT THE COMPOUND THROUGH A GATED ENTRANCE. THE CAR SUDDENLY ACCELERATED WITHOUT THE DRIVER’S ASSISTANCE AND DROVE THROUGH THE TRAFFIC GATE BEFORE THE DRIVER WAS ABLE TO QUICKLY BREAK AND BRING THE CAR TO A STOP. ELECTRONIC RECORDS ACCESSED ON SEPTEMBER 15, 2015 REVEALED THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION: THE CAR WAS ORIGINALLY BEING DRIVEN AT 4.7 KM/HR WITH THE ACCELERATION PEDAL DEPRESSED AT 2.8%. WITHIN ONE SECOND, THE ACCELERATION PEDAL WENT FROM BEING DEPRESSED 2.8% TO 84.8% AND THE CAR INCREASED TO 10.75 KM/HR. DURING THE FOLLOWING SECOND, THE CAR’S RECORDS SHOW THE ACCELERATION PEDAL TO CONTINUE TO BE COMPRESSED AT 84% WITH THE SPEED INCREASING TO 18.35 KM/HR, BUT WITH THE BREAK PEDAL ALSO BEING SIMULTANEOUSLY COMPRESSED. IN THE SUBSEQUENT SECOND, THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKES INITIATED, AND THE CAR WAS BROUGHT TO A STOP A SECOND LATER. WE REJECT THE DEALERSHIP’S DECISION THAT THIS WAS DRIVER’S ERROR. IN SUCH A NARROW ENVIRONMENT AS THE HOUSING COMPOUND, AND DURING A SLOW AND CONTROLLED TURN, THERE THE DRIVER HAD NO REASON TO PUT SIGNIFICANT PRESSURE ON THE ACCELERATION PEDAL AS THE RECORDS SHOW – WHETHER INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL. WE ALSO FEEL THAT IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFICULT FOR THE DRIVER TO PUSH BOTH THE ACCELERATOR AND BREAK PEDAL TO SUCH A DEGREE SIMULTANEOUSLY. THEREFORE, WE BELIEVE THAT THE CAR EXPERIENCED AN UNINTENDED ACCELERATION, WHICH WAS NOT OF THE DRIVER’S CAUSING. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY SIMILAR REPORTS OF TESLA MODEL S UNINTENDED ACCELERATION CRASHES IN CHINA. WE FEEL THAT THIS IS A SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARD WHICH NEEDS TO BE FURTHER INVESTIGATED.

Case No. 13
Date Complaint Filed: 12/15/2015
Date of Incident: 11/25/2015
NHTSA ID Number: 10810457
Consumer Location: COPPELL, TX
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S28FF…(2015 Model S)
SUMMARY:
ON THE AFTERNOON OF NOVEMBER 25, 2015, I WAS DRIVING INTO A STRIP MALL PARKING LOT. I WAS GOING TO PULL INTO ONE OF THOSE SPACES WHERE YOU CAN PARK PERPENDICULAR TO A SIDEWALK CURB AND THE SIDEWALK LEADS UP TO THE STORE FRONTS. WHEN APPROACHING THE PARKING SPACE, THE CAR WAS ALREADY IN REGENERATIVE BRAKING MODE, AND ACCORDING TO TESLA’S LOGS, THE CAR SLOWED DOWN TO 3.5 MPH. SINCE THE CAR HAD ENOUGH MOMENTUM TO ROLL INTO THE SPACE ON ITS OWN, MY FOOT WAS NOT ON THE ACCELERATOR OR THE BRAKE PEDAL. MY FOOT WAS UP RESTING ON ITS HEEL, READY TO TAP THE BRAKE WHEN IT GOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE CURB. WHILE THE CAR WAS COASTING INTO THE SPACE THE MOTOR WAS VERY QUIET. ALL OF A SUDDEN, I HEARD A “WHIRRING”” SOUND FROM THE MOTOR. I DON’T KNOW HOW BETTER TO DESCRIBE IT, THAN TO SAY IT WAS ALMOST LIKE THE MOTOR WENT FROM A STATE OF SLUMBER TO A FULL STATE OF AWARENESS. I BELIEVE THE MOTOR WAS “WHIRRING” LOUDLY FOR ABOUT A SECOND BEFORE THE CAR TOOK OFF AT SUCH A FAST PACE AND WOUND UP HITTING A BRICK WALL. IT HAPPENED SO QUICKLY, I DIDN’T HAVE ANY TIME TO REACT. AFTER THE IMPACT, I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW THE AIRBAGS DEPLOYED UNTIL I OPENED MY EYES AND SAW THE DEFLATED AIRBAGS IN THE CAR. IT LOOKED LIKE THE CAR JUMPED THE CURB, HIT THE BRICK WALL, BOUNCED BACKWARDS FROM THE IMPACT AND LANDED BACK INTO THE PARKING SPACE. ACCORDING TO TESLA’S LOGS, THE DATA READS THAT THE PEDAL WAS DEPRESSED DOWN TO 97% AND THE CAUSE OF THE ACCIDENT WAS DUE TO DRIVER ERROR. I STAND FIRMLY BY MY STATEMENT THAT MY FOOT WAS NOT ON EITHER THE ACCELERATOR OR THE BRAKE PEDAL WHEN THE CAR ACCELERATED. DATA MAY SHOW THERE WAS PEDAL DEPRESSION BUT I DID NOT DO THE DEPRESSING. THIS WAS DUE TO UNINTENDED ACCELERATION BY THE CAR.

=====================================================================================

Case No. 12
Date Complaint Filed: 09/17/2015
Date of Incident: 09/16/2015
NHTSA ID Number: 10764853
Consumer Location: LAKE FOREST, IL
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1S24FF…(2015 Model S)
SUMMARY:
CAR WAS PARKED IN THE PARKING LOT . WHILE BACKING THE CAR, IT SPIN FAST OUT OF CONTROL EVEN THOUGH BACKING WAS STARTED AT A VERY SLOW SPEED . CAR STOPPED AFTER HITTING FOUR VEHICLES DIRECTLY, AND ONE OF THE VEHICLE HIT OTHER TWO VEHICLES. MAJOR DAMAGE ON THE TESLA CAR IS ON DRIVER SIDE AT BACK, WHERE IT HIT OTHER CARS. IT SPIN ALMOST 180 DEGREES FACING IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION. IT HIT THE CARS ON BOTH SIDE OF THE PARKING LOT LANE .IT ALL HAPPENED IN 2 TO 3 SECONDS. I WONDER, IF THERE IS AUTOMATIC CONTROL IN THE CAR SO THAT IT DOES NOT GO FAST WHILE REVERSING , AS ACCELERATOR SEEMS TO BE VERY SENSITIVE, OR DOES IT GET STUCK? FLOOR MATS IN THE CAR WERE ORIGINAL AND CAME WITH THE CAR.

Case No. 11
Date Complaint Filed: 08/18/2015
Date of Incident: 08/04/2015
NHTSA ID Number: 10749575
Consumer Location: RANCHO SANTA FE, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1DN5DF…(2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 TESLA MODEL S. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE VEHICLE SUDDENLY ACCELERATED WITHOUT WARNING TO ITS MAXIMUM ACCELERATION RATE AND CRASHED INTO FIVE PARKED VEHICLES. THE DRIVER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE WAS DAMAGED AND THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED AWAY BY AAA. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED BUT WAS UNABLE TO ADVISE THE CONTACT OF THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURE. THE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 9,021.

Case No. 10 (Same vehicle was involved in another accident as described in Case No. 1 below.)
Date Complaint Filed: 08/24/2015
Date of Incident: 07/16/2015
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10758893
Consumer Location: THOUSAND OAKS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CG5DF…(2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
ON JULY 16, 2015 WHILE DRIVING MY 2013 MODEL S 60, I MADE A RIGHT HAND TURN INTO A PARKING SPACE IN SIMI VALLEY, CALIFORNIA. AS I PULLED INTO THE SPACE, I TOOK MY FOOT OFF OF THE ACCELERATOR AND APPLIED THE BREAKS. INSTEAD OF STOPPING, THE CAR LURCHED FORWARD OVER A CURB AND A BERM, STOPPING WHEN IT HIT A FIRE HYDRANT, PROPELLING IT OFF OF ITS BOLTS, GENERATING A HUGE GEYSER OF WATER. BECAUSE OF THE TREMENDOUS AMOUNT OF WATER GUSHING OVER MY CAR, I HAD NO VISIBILITY AND ELECTED TO STAY IN THE CAR WHILE ATTEMPTING TO DIAL 911. MOMENTS LATER, A MAN WHO HAD BEEN SITTING IN THE CAR NEXT TO THE SPACE WHERE I WAS ATTEMPTING TO PARK, OPENED THE BACK DOOR TO ASK ABOUT MY CONDITION. I THEN EXITED THE CAR. I WAS NOT INJURED AND THANK GOODNESS THE CAR HAD NOT HIT ANOTHER PERSON OR ANOTHER CAR. IT TOOK A TOW TRUCK ABOUT 15 MINUTES TO ARRIVE AT THE SCENE. ALL THE WHILE THE TORRENTIAL WATER SURGED AROUND, UNDER AND OVER MY CAR AND NOW FLOODED THE INTERIOR. ACCORDING TO TESLA, EITHER THE CAR SHORTED-OUT CAUSING ALL OF THE WINDOWS TO ROLL DOWN OR THERE IS A SAFETY FEATURE THAT CAUSES THE WINDOWS TO ROLL DOWN IF THE CAR PERCEIVES IT IS UNDER WATER. THE MAN WHO BRAVED THE FLOOD OF WATER FROM THE FIRE HYDRANT TO CHECK ON ME SAW THE ENTIRE ACCIDENT AS HE WAS SITTING IN HIS CAR. HE SAID THAT MY BREAK LIGHTS WERE ON AS MY CAR WENT OVER THE BERM. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CAUSED THE CAR TO ACCELERATE BY ITSELF AND I AM CERTAIN THAT MY FOOT WAS ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. THE NEXT DAY, I HEARD FROM BOTH MY INSURANCE COMPANY AND THE BODY SHOP THAT TESLA WANTED THE CAR AT THEIR SERVICE CENTER IN VAN NUYS. SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, THE CLAIMS ADJUSTER CALLED TO SAY THAT DUE TO THE HEAVY WATER DAMAGE, THE CAR HAS BEEN ?TOTALED?. I AM WRITING THIS COMPLAINT ON THE NHTSA’S WEBSITE BECAUSE I BELIEVE THERE IS SOMETHING TERRIBLY WRONG WITH THIS PARTICULAR CAR. ALSO, SEE NHTSA REPORT OF PREVIOUS 2013 ACCIDENT.

Case No. 9
Date Complaint Filed: 06/28/2015
Date of Incident: 06/22/2015
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, UNKNOWN OR OTHER
NHTSA ID Number: 10730863
Consumer Location: WOODLAND HILLS, CA
Number of Deaths: 1
SUMMARY:
TIMOTHY DEVINE WAS KILLED AFTER DRIVING HIS VEHICLE OFF THE ROAD AND DOWN THE CANYON. THE TESLA STARTED A BRUSHFIRE THAT WAS SO BAD THAT 180 FIREFIGHTERS WERE CALLED IN AND MALIBU CANYON ROAD WAS CLOSED FOR OVER 9 HOURS. TANG, A SPOKESMAN FROM THE HIGHWAY PATROL SAID THAT TIMOTHY DEVINE WAS SO BADLY BURNED HE WASN’T RECOGNIZABLE AS A PERSON AND THAT FIRE HAD MELTED THE CAR DOWN TO NOTHING. WAS THIS SUICIDE OR DRIVER ERROR? WAS THIS KNOWN PROBLEMS WITH STEERING, UNINTENDED ACCELERATION, BRAKE FAILURE, ETC. WAS THIS FATAL CRASH, FIRE AND EXPLOSIONS THE FAULT OF THE DRIVER AND OR THE FAULT OF THE VEHICLE?

Case No. 8
Date Complaint Filed: 06/08/2015
Date of Incident: 05/22/2015
Component(s): SERVICE BRAKES (VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL)
NHTSA ID Number: 10723925
Consumer Location: GAINESVILLE, FLORIDA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H1XEF…(2014 Model S)
SUMMARY:
SEEING THE VEHICLES A CONSIDERABLE DISTANCE AHEAD OF ME STOPPED FOR A TRAFFIC LIGHT I TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR AND ALLOWED THE REGENERATIVE BRAKES TO SLOW MY TESLA DOWN. WHEN I PUT MY FOOT ON THE BRAKES TO STOP THE CAR IT ACCELERATED VERY FAST AND I HIT THE PICKUP TRUCK IN FRONT OF ME WHICH HIT THE CAR IN FRONT OF IT. THE AIRBAGS FAILED TO INFLATE. ALTHOUGH THERE WERE NO INJURIES THE PICKUP DRIVER IS SUING GEICO FOR NECK INJURY. THIS WAS A VERY FRIGHTENING SITUATION. MY CAR SUSTAINED SEVERE DAMAGE AND HAD TO BE TOWED TO REPAIR. IT WILL TAKE AT LEAST 30 DAYS TO REPAIR. THE PICKUP ALSO SUSTAINED CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE. THE CAR IT HIT HAD VERY LITTLE DAMAGE.

Case No. 7
Date Complaint Filed: 09/29/2014
Date of Incident: 07/19/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10639935
Consumer Location: BAKERSFIELD, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H13EF…(2014 Model S)
Number of Injuries: 1
SUMMARY:
I PULLED SLOWLY IN TO A PARKING SPOT & MY CAR WAS AT A STOP POSITION JUST READY TO PUSH PARK BUTTON. WITHIN A SPLIT OF A SECOND, MY CAR (TESLA) JUMPED THE CURB AND TRAVELED 5’ OF SIDEWALK BREAKING A GLASS WALL & TRAVELING THROUGH A RESTAURANT BREAKING TABLES & CHAIRS WITHIN COUPLE OF SECONDS W/O ME ACCELERATING THE PEDAL. BRAKE PEDAL WAS APPLIED BY ME HALF WAY THROUGH THE RESTAURANT BEFORE THE CAR STOPPED. NO SERIOUS INJURIES TO ANYONE. TESLA WAS NOTIFIED & THIS IS THE LOG FILE DATA WORD BY WORD FROM THEM. ?AT THE TIME OF THE INCIDENT THAT RESULTED IN DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE, YOU INCREASED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL POSITION FROM 1% TO 50% IN LESS THAN ONE SECOND WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. ONE SECOND LATER, YOU INCREASED THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL TO 100% WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL. ONE SECOND LATER, YOU CONTINUED DEPRESSING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AT 100% WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE PEDAL; HOWEVER, THE VEHICLE’S TRACTION CONTROL ENGAGED & THEREFORE LIMITED THE VEHICLE’S TORQUE DESPITE THE FACT YOU WERE DEPRESSING THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL AT 100% UNTIL YOU DEPRESSED THE BRAKE PEDAL IN THE FOLLOWING SECOND.? INSUFFICIENT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY TESLA. HOW MUCH WAS THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL DEPRESSED? SPEED OF THE CAR? DISTANCE TRAVEL? HOW DOES THIS PROVE THAT THIS IS NOT SUDDEN ACCELERATION? THE LOG DOES PROVE THAT I WAS AT A STOP. MY CAR WILL BE TOTALED BUT IS STILL SITTING AT STORAGE WITH INSURANCE COMPANY FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. MANY ACCIDENTS WITH TESLA HAS OCCURRED, EVEN JUST LIKE MINE IN TO A RESTAURANT( HTTP://INSIDEEVS.COM/TESLA-MODEL-S-CRASHES-THROUGH-RESTAURANT-DRIVER-BLAMES-IT-ON-UNINTENDED-ACCELERATION/) (HTTP://WWW.MOTORAUTHORITY.COM/NEWS/1087171_TESLA-MODEL-S-UNINTENDED-ACCELERATION-COMPLAINT-FILED-WITH-NHTSA.) THEY CAN’T ALL BE DRIVERS FAULT. NHTSA NEEDS TO INVESTIGATE THE BOX IN THE CAR BEFORE FATAL INJURIES OCCUR. PUBLIC SAFETY SHOULD BE THE PRIORITY. *TR

Case No. 6
Date Complaint Filed: 09/29/2014
Date of Incident: 07/19/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10639849
Consumer Location: BAKERSFIELD, CA

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1H13EF…(2014 Model S)
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2014 TESLA MODEL S. WHILE PULLING INTO A PARKING SPACE, THE VEHICLE SURGED FORWARD, JUMPED THE CURB, AND CRASHED INTO A BUILDING. A POLICE REPORT WAS FILED. THERE WERE NO INJURIES. THE VEHICLE WAS TOWED TO AN IMPOUND LOT. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED OF THE FAILURE. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 1,200.

Case No. 5
Date Complaint Filed: 01/30/2014
Date of Incident: 11/20/2013
Component(s): POWER TRAIN , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10562266
Consumer Location: CINNAMINSON, NJ
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): Not Available (2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2013 TESLA S 985. THE CONTACT STATED THAT HE WAS EXPERIENCING SEVERAL FAILURES WITH THE VEHICLE. THERE WERE VARIOUS SHIFTING ISSUES WHEN USING REVERSE. IN ADDITION, UNINTENDED ACCELERATION OCCURRED ONLY WHEN DRIVING IN EXTREMELY COLD TEMPERATURES. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER WHERE THE COMPUTER SYSTEM WAS REPROGRAMMED BUT THE FAILURES RECURRED. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE APPROXIMATE FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 200. THE VIN WAS UNAVAILABLE. …UPDATED 04-16-14 BF UPDATED 04/17/14LJ THE CONSUMER STATED AFTER THE RE-FLASH, HE NO LONGER WAS ABLE TO PUT THE VEHICLE IN REVERSE. UPDATED 05/20/14

Case No. 4
Date Complaint Filed: 09/24/2013
Date of Incident: 09/21/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10545230
Consumer Location: SAN DIEGO, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN9DF…(2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
THE CAR WAS GOING AT ABOUT 5 MPH GOING DOWN A SHORT RESIDENTIAL DRIVEWAY. BRAKE WAS CONSTANTLY APPLIED. THE CAR SUDDENLY ACCELERATED. IT HIT A CURB AND THE MIDDLE PORTION OF THE CAR LANDED ON A 4.5 FT HIGH VERTICAL RETAINING WALL. THE WALL IS ONE FOOT AWAY FROM THE CURB. THE FRONT PORTION OF THE CAR WAS HANGING UP IN THE AIR. THE CAR WAS AT ABOUT 45 DEGREE UP AND ABOUT 20 DEGREE TILTED TOWARD THE RIGHT SIDE. AN ENGINEER FROM TESLA SAID THE RECORD SHOWED THE ACCELERATING PEDAL WAS STEPPED ON AND IT ACCELERATED FROM 18% TO 100% IN SPLIT SECOND. HE BLAMED MY WIFE STEPPING ON THE ACCELERATING PEDAL. BUT HE ALSO SAID THERE WAS A BUILT-IN SAFE-GUARD THAT THE ACCELERATOR COULDNOT GO BEYOND 92%. THE STATEMENTS ARE CONTRADICTORY. IF THERE IS A SAFEGUARD THAT THE ACCELERATOR CANNOT GO BEYOUND 92%, THERE WOULD BE NO WAY THAT MY WIFE COULD STEP ON IT 100%. THERE WERE SOME MECHANICAL PROBLEM THAT CAUSED THE ACCELERATOR TO ACCELERATE ON ITS OWN FROM 18% TO 100% IN SPLIT SECOND. *LN UPDATED 12/30/2013 *JS

Case No. 3
Date Complaint Filed: 06/16/2015
Date of Incident: 09/21/2013
Component(s): ENGINE , SERVICE BRAKES , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10725634
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN9DF…(2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
I PREVIOUSLY FILED A COMPLAINT TO NHTSA ON 9/24/2013 WITH NHTSA ID NO. 10545230. I NOTICED SIMILAR ISSUE WAS REPORTED BY 3 OR 4 OTHER TESLA OWNERS: (1) 9/26/2013 NHTSA ID NO. 10545488, (2) 9/29/2014 NHTSA NO. 10639849, (3) 9/29/2014 NHTSA NO. 10639935, AND (4) 6/8/2015 NHTSA ID NO. 10723925. THERE WAS ANOTHER SIMILAR CASE IN CAMARILLO CA AS REPORTED BY VENTURA COUNTY STAR ON 3/29/2013 BUT APPARENTLY WAS NOT REPORTED TO NHTSA. THERE WERE SO MANY SIMILAR INCIDENCES HAPPENED WITH ONLY A LIMITED NUMBER OF 2013 AND 2014 TESLA MODEL S ON THE ROAD, SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT WITH THE MODEL S. TESLA CANNOT KEEP BLAMING THE DRIVERS BEING AT FAULT.

Case No. 2
Date Complaint Filed: 09/26/2013
Date of Incident: 07/29/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10545488
Consumer Location: LAGUNA HILLS, CA
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CN1DF…(2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
I WAS AT A FULL STOP WAITING TO TURN LEFT INTO THE PARKING GARAGE. WHEN IT WAS CLEAR OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC FOR ME TO MAKE THE LEFT TURN, I RELEASED MY FOOT OFF THE BRAKE PEDAL AND THE CAR INSTANTLY SURGED FORWARD VERY FAST AND HIT ANOTHER VEHICLE PARKED IN THE FRONT OF THE GARAGE. THIS ALL HAPPENED SO QUICKLY THAT I DID NOT HAVE TIME TO AVOID THE IMPACT. THE TIME OF OCCURRENCE WAS IN BROAD DAYLIGHT AT ABOUT 6PM PST. I HAVE DRIVEN THIS CAR FOR ALMOST 10000 MILES PRIOR TO THE ACCIDENT AND KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THE CAR AND UNDERSTAND THE TORQUE THIS CAR HAS. I HAVE MADE THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF STOPS AND STARTS WITH THIS VEHICLE AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED. THERE IS NO OTHER TERM TO DESCRIBE THIS OTHER THAN SUDDEN ACCELERATION. THE LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT DISPATCHED AN OFFICER AND NO DRUGS OR ALCOHOL WAS INVOLVED. *JS TESLA INSTRUCTED THEIR STAFF TO NOT COMMUNICATE WITH ME ABOUT THIS ACCIDENT. *JS

Case No. 1 (Case No. 10 above involves the same car but in a second accident.)
Date Complaint Filed: 08/24/2015
Date of Incident: 05/07/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10758908
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJSA1CG5DF…(2013 Model S)
SUMMARY:
THIS ACCIDENT REPORT IS A PREVIOUS ACCIDENT INVOLVING THE SAME 2013 TESLA MODEL S 60 AS REPORTED IN THE NHTSA REPORT FILED ON AUGUST 24, 2015. ON MAY 7, 2013 WHILE DRIVING MY 2013 MODEL S 60, I PULLED INTO A PARKING SPACE IN THOUSAND OAKS, CALIFORNIA MAKING A LEFT TURN INTO THE SPOT. AS I PULLED IN, I LET MY FOOT OFF OF THE ACCELERATOR,AND APPLIED THE BREAK. THE CAR LURCHED FORWARD, JUMPING A PARKING BLOCK, THEN OVER A CURB, AND FINALLY INTO A CEMENT LIGHT POST. THE AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND I WAS STUNNED. I IMMEDIATELY CALLED TESLA WHO SENT A QUALIFIED TESLA TOW TRUCK. IT TOOK TWO HOURS TO GET THE CAR ONTO A FLAT-BED TRUCK BECAUSE THE CAR LOST ALL POWER AND SHUT DOWN. IT HAD TO BE DRAGGED OVER TWO PARKING BLOCKS, SUSTAINING EVEN MORE DAMAGE. TESLA SENT THE CAR DIRECTLY TO THE BODY SHOP. I INSISTED THAT THEY RUN A DIAGNOSTIC TEST BECAUSE I WAS (AND STILL AM) CERTAIN THAT THE CAR ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN. THE VAN NUYS SERVICE CENTER REP SAID THAT THE CAR HAD TO BE REPAIRED FIRST BEFORE ANY DIAGNOSTIC TEST COULD BE RUN. AFTER THREE WEEKS I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM TESLA. THE ENGINEERS REPORTED TO ME THAT THE ACCELERATOR WAS DEPRESSED TO 48%, SECONDS BEFORE THE ACCIDENT AND 98.4% AT THE TIME OF IMPACT. I STILL BELIEVE THAT THE CAR ACCELERATED BY ITSELF. IT IS MY SINCERE HOPE THAT BY REPORTING THIS ACCIDENT (AND THE SUBSEQUENT ACCIDENT ON JULY 16, 2015) FURTHER INVESTIGATIONS CAN BE CONDUCTED BEFORE PEOPLE ARE SERIOUSLY INJURED OR WORSE. MY INSURANCE COMPANY (FARMERS) DOES NOT INTEND TO INVESTIGATE. IT IS LESS EXPENSIVE FOR THEM TO PAY FOR A REPLACEMENT VALUE THAN TO DETERMINE THE TRUE CAUSE OF THIS INCIDENT. FORTUNATELY, YOU AND YOUR AGENCY ASPIRE TO A HIGHER PURPOSE.

Complaint Number: 10903406
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL S 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Brakes
What happened?
This is a complaint about seized brake calipers on the Model S and the failure of Tesla service to detect or remedy the problem. I believe this is a widespread problem on Teslas caused by road dirt thrown onto the inside of the brake rotors. Here is one of many threads discussing the problem. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/6th-drive-unit-replacement-and-more.72974/page-5 I checked and 3 out of 4 inside brake pads were frozen in place because of encrusting of road grime. Only the outside pads were doing any work … and in retrospect … that’s why my stopping distances and stopping power were declining. Only one side of the rotors being used for friction. Calipers work much better when they pinch the disc from both sides, rather than “lean one pad against one side”. Heating up the rotor on one side only… that will probably eventually lead to real warp. I had been driving for probably a year with less than 50% braking power available. Here’s the thing… my car passed its annual service while the pads were frozen! The car was driven and got a check for brakes. It’s the kind of problem you don’t notice unless you’re driving fast and need to brake hard on a hiway. So the city test Tesla does, won’t necessarily catch this problem. A visual inspection cannot be made reliably enough to see frozen inside pads. You have to take the calipers off and then it becomes pretty apparent. See also this thread regarding rusted brakes in Canada http://roulezelectrique.com/lentretien-preventif-des-freins-avant-de-tesla-s/ Please note that I am filing these complaints in the interest of public safety because I believe that owners and Tesla service are failing to report these issues themselves. There are a great many Teslas for sale at salvage auctions that have had front end collisions. This may be one of the factors involved.
Files you uploaded.
rusty brakes.jpg

PUBLISHED!

Date Complaint Filed: 09/03/2016Date of Incident: 07/01/2016Component(s): SERVICE BRAKESNHTSA ID Number: 10903406Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): UNKNOWN…
SUMMARY:
THIS IS A COMPLAINT ABOUT SEIZED BRAKE CALIPERS ON THE MODEL S AND THE FAILURE OF TESLA SERVICE TO DETECT OR REMEDY THE PROBLEM. I BELIEVE THIS IS A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM ON TESLAS CAUSED BY ROAD DIRT THROWN ONTO THE INSIDE OF THE BRAKE ROTORS. HERE IS ONE OF MANY THREADS DISCUSSING THE PROBLEM. HTTPS://TESLAMOTORSCLUB.COM/TMC/THREADS/6TH-DRIVE-UNIT-REPLACEMENT-AND-MORE.72974/PAGE-5 I CHECKED AND 3 OUT OF 4 INSIDE BRAKE PADS WERE FROZEN IN PLACE BECAUSE OF ENCRUSTING OF ROAD GRIME. ONLY THE OUTSIDE PADS WERE DOING ANY WORK … AND IN RETROSPECT … THAT’S WHY MY STOPPING DISTANCES AND STOPPING POWER WERE DECLINING. ONLY ONE SIDE OF THE ROTORS BEING USED FOR FRICTION. CALIPERS WORK MUCH BETTER WHEN THEY PINCH THE DISC FROM BOTH SIDES, RATHER THAN “LEAN ONE PAD AGAINST ONE SIDE”. HEATING UP THE ROTOR ON ONE SIDE ONLY… THAT WILL PROBABLY EVENTUALLY LEAD TO REAL WARP. I HAD BEEN DRIVING FOR PROBABLY A YEAR WITH LESS THAN 50% BRAKING POWER AVAILABLE. HERE’S THE THING… MY CAR PASSED ITS ANNUAL SERVICE WHILE THE PADS WERE FROZEN! THE CAR WAS DRIVEN AND GOT A CHECK FOR BRAKES. IT’S THE KIND OF PROBLEM YOU DON’T NOTICE UNLESS YOU’RE DRIVING FAST AND NEED TO BRAKE HARD ON A HIWAY. SO THE CITY TEST TESLA DOES, WON’T NECESSARILY CATCH THIS PROBLEM. A VISUAL INSPECTION CANNOT BE MADE RELIABLY ENOUGH TO SEE FROZEN INSIDE PADS. YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE CALIPERS OFF AND THEN IT BECOMES PRETTY APPARENT. SEE ALSO THIS THREAD REGARDING RUSTED BRAKES IN CANADA HTTP://ROULEZELECTRIQUE.COM/LENTRETIEN-PREVENTIF-DES-FREINS-AVANT-DE-TESLA-S/ PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM FILING THESE COMPLAINTS IN THE INTEREST OF PUBLIC SAFETY BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT OWNERS AND TESLA SERVICE ARE FAILING TO REPORT THESE ISSUES THEMSELVES. THERE ARE A GREAT MANY TESLAS FOR SALE AT SALVAGE AUCTIONS THAT HAVE HAD FRONT END COLLISIONS. THIS MAY BE ONE OF THE FACTORS INVOLVED.
Request Research help
Date Complaint Filed: 09/01/2016Date of Incident: 03/01/2016C

Cracked brake rotors on a $100,000 near new car?

Not good.

Voll1

View profile

A: Upgraded brakes
« Reply # 27 on: Yesterday at. 6:05 p.m. "
I also imbalance in the discs. Marked small but ranger would not do anything. Checked bit extra today and then see that a disc has something resembling “cracks”. Should get Tesla to check, but how serious can this be? Nothing a bother with, take it easy, or park your car?

Elbilforum.no

VROOM…WHEEEEEE…VROOOOM…KABOOM!

Date Complaint Filed: 09/19/2016Date of Incident: 05/23/2016Component(s): UNKNOWN OR OTHER , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10908051Consumer Location: BOSTON, MA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCAE24GF…
SUMMARY:
WHILE TURNING LEFT TO ENTER A VERY NARROW GARAGE ENTRANCE I NEEDED TO DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT I HAD TO STRAIGHTEN OUT BEFORE PULLING IN OR IF MY LEFT TURN WAS TIGHT ENOUGH TO PULL IN WITHOUT REVERSING TO STRAIGHTEN OUT. I SAW THAT I WAS IN THE POSITION THAT I COULD CONTINUE INTO THE GARAGE AND LIGHTLY PRESSED THE ACCELERATOR TO FINISH MY TURN INTO THE GARAGE. IT WAS AT THIS POINT THAT THE CAR ACCELERATED WITH EXTREME FORCE AND WITHIN A SECOND SLAMMED INTO A LARGE CONCRETE POLE THAT WAS JUST INSIDE THE GARAGE TO THE LEFT. I NEVER FELT THE CAR SLOW IN THAT MOMENT, ONLY SPEED UP AND I BELIEVE THE CAR SLAMMED INTO THE POLE WHILE ACCELERATING AND WOULD HAVE CONTINUED TO ACCELERATE IF NOT FOR THE LARGE POLE. I DID NOT HAVE EITHER FOOT DEPRESSED ON EITHER PEDAL AT THE MOMENT OF COLLISION. THE AIR BAGS DID NOT DEPLOY, BUT THERE WAS VERY SEVERE DAMAGE TO THE FRONT END OF THE CAR THAT WILL BE AT LEAST $25K. I WAS NOT ON THE PHONE OR DISTRACTED IN ANY WAY. I WAS DRIVING CAREFULLY AND PAYING FULL ATTENTION. THIS IS NOT A CASE OF MISTAKEN PEDAL BECAUSE I WAS INTENDING TO ACCELERATE. AT FIRST TESLA TOLD US OVER THE PHONE THAT THEIR LOGS SHOW THAT THE DRIVER PRESSED THE PEDAL 100% AND THEN TAPPED THE BRAKE BEFORE IMPACT. THIS EXPLANATION SOUNDED PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE THE DISTANCE COVERED WAS LESS THAN 3 CAR LENGTHS. A MONTH LATER TESLA SENT A LETTER STATING THE DRIVER PRESSED THE ACCELERATOR 100% UNTIL THE VEHICLE SENSED A CRASH. TESLA DID NOT RESPOND TO OUR QUERY ABOUT WHY THEIR LOG STORY HAD CHANGED. TESLA ALSO REFUSED TO PROVIDE DATA ABOUT ACCELERATOR/BRAKE PERCENTAGE AND CAR SPEED FOR THE CAR EARLIER IN THE DAY. IF A DRIVER IS PRESSING THE PEDAL 100% IT IS A VERY DELIBERATE ACTION. THIS IS A FAILURE OF THE ACCELERATOR AND THE AUTOMATIC BRAKING. THE CAR ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN AND CRASHED FULL FORCE INTO A LARGE CONCRETE POLE.

Date Complaint Filed: 09/26/2016Date of Incident: 09/22/2016Component(s): VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL , WHEELSNHTSA ID Number: 10909588Consumer Location: LEXINGTON, MA
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCAE44GF…
SUMMARY:
I WAS GOING UP BY DRIVEWAY WAITING FOR MY GARAGE DOOR TO OPEN. I TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR AND WAS SLOWING DOWN WITHOUT HITTING THE BREAKS WAITING FOR THE GARAGE DOOR TO OPEN. THE CAR TOOK OFF THROUGH THE GARAGE DOOR AND HIT MY HUSBANDS CAR SITTING IN THE GARAGE.

Yes but…It can’t be the Tesla’s fault.
Oh, wait a minute… you’re a WOMAN!
There’s yer problem.
Maybe you are a bit OLD as well?
Blond?
Bleck?

You don’t even DESERVE to drive a Tesla :rage:

Date Complaint Filed: 09/27/2016Date of Incident: 08/10/2016Component(s): POWER TRAINNHTSA ID Number: 10910108Consumer Location: Unknown
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 5YJXCBE27GF…
SUMMARY:
WHILE COMING TO A STOP IN A PARKING GARAGE GOING 3 MPH THE AUTO SUDDENLY PROJECTED FORWARD AT FULL SPEED INTO A CONCRETE WALL DESTROYING THE ENTIRE FRONT END OF THE CAR AND INJURING THE PASSENGERS BY DEPLOYMENT OF THE AIR BAGS08102016

Holy Carp!

Date Complaint Filed: 09/27/2016Date of Incident: 09/16/2016Component(s): AIR BAGS , SERVICE BRAKES , VEHICLE SPEED CONTROLNHTSA ID Number: 10910065Consumer Location: TUCSON, AZ
Details close
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): SYJSA1H4SFF…
SUMMARY:
I DROVE THE CAR INTO A PARKING SPACE AT THE SCHOOL (DESERT CHRISTIAN ELEMENTARY) IN TUCSON ARIZONA ON SEPT 16TH ABOUT 11:05 AM, WHEN THE CAR ACCELERATED ON ITS OWN (UNINTENDED ACCELERATION) AND CRASHED INTO 2 PARKED VEHICLES AND AIRBAGS DEPLOYED AND I SUSTAINED A FRACTURE OF MY RIGHT ARM REQUIRING SURGERY. ALSO MY CAR (THE TESLA MODEL S) WAS DAMAGED AND THE TWO OTHER PARKED CARS.

Here’s a runaway FAN-BOY
But will he be reporting it to NHTSA?
Or will I have to help him out

Near accident while parking just now!!
Submitted by hami05 on September 29, 2016
Wow guys I’ve seen those unintended acceleration threads before and thought that the person must’ve always definitely been punching the accelerator, but I’m not so sure after what just happened to me. Please hear me out, because my son and I are frankly quite scared right now. I was driving into a parking lot and I just lightly pressed the accelerator as I was going under 10 mph and all of a sudden my X went from 10 to over 40 mph in about 2 seconds! I didn’t even know the thing could accelerate that fast! Can anybody explain what the heck might’ve happened? Thankfully I was about 100 ft away from any other cars before it took off, so I had time to slam the brakes without panicking, otherwise who knows what would’ve happened… I’m certain that I didn’t accidentally activate cruise control/AP, so there’s no way that could’ve caused it. My theory is that the regenerative brakes may have given me a sudden kick of acceleration? I’m kind of worried now, because this is actually the second time something like this has happened to me, except the first time wasn’t nearly as bad, so I didn’t ask you guys about it. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Do you guys think I need to ask my Tesla team about this?

Oh well… why wait any longer?
Someone might get SQUASHED LIKE A BUG!

Complaint Number: 10910701
Vehicle Identification Number: unknown
Your Vehicle’s Make Model and Model Year: TESLA MODEL X 2016
Note: Your VIN, make, model, and year are all protected under the Privacy Act.
What part of your car was affected? Speed Control
What happened?
Here is a new complaint of Unintended Acceleration which sounds highly credible. https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/near-accident-while-parking-just-now Near accident while parking just now!! Submitted by hami05 on September 29, 2016 Wow guys I’ve seen those unintended acceleration threads before and thought that the person must’ve always definitely been punching the accelerator, but I’m not so sure after what just happened to me. Please hear me out, because my son and I are frankly quite scared right now. I was driving into a parking lot and I just lightly pressed the accelerator as I was going under 10 mph and all of a sudden my X went from 10 to over 40 mph in about 2 seconds! I didn’t even know the thing could accelerate that fast! Can anybody explain what the heck might’ve happened? Thankfully I was about 100 ft away from any other cars before it took off, so I had time to slam the brakes without panicking, otherwise who knows what would’ve happened… I’m certain that I didn’t accidentally activate cruise control/AP, so there’s no way that could’ve caused it. My theory is that the regenerative brakes may have given me a sudden kick of acceleration? I’m kind of worried now, because this is actually the second time something like this has happened to me, except the first time wasn’t nearly as bad, so I didn’t ask you guys about it. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Do you guys think I need to ask my Tesla team about this? this hasn’t only happened to me while getting ready to park, the first time I was just accelerating up to 25 in my neighborhood and it suddenly went to 35 in a second but I wasn’t too bothered about that, because it was just a 10mph burst, but this one that happened to me today was the car jumping 30 mph… I’ve driven this car for 2000 miles now and it’s the only car I’ve been driving really over the past month.
When did this happen? 09/29/2016